PDA

View Full Version : New acquisition and it shoots better than it looks.

tazman
09-30-2015, 09:15 PM
I just took home a Smith & Wesson model 15-3 with a 4 inch barrel. It has quite a bit of holster wear but I got it to shoot, not sit in the safe.
I got it for $350 so I don't think I can get hurt on it.
The chamber throats measure a consistent .357. A .357 sized slug will pass with a great deal of thumb pressure. A .358 will not.
I didn't try to slug the barrel.
I took it to the range today and got consistently good groups with it. It was showing 1.5 inch groups at 10 yards which is as good as I can shoot currently.
The trigger is a bit stiffer than my Target Masterpiece but the gun is just as accurate. I put 180 rounds through it(all cast) and at the end of the session there was no leading. Not even a grey wash. I just blew through the barrel and what carbon was in there came right out. I only had to wipe down the outside of the gun to get it clean.
The grips are Uncle Mikes and fit my hands well so I got lucky there.
I am a happy camper now.

Ia.redneck
09-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Congrats Tazman, those K frames are great guns! I like the pre-owned guns, don't have to worry about putting that first scratch in it. Plus the barrels are broken in and smoothed up already.
Enjoy that new acquisition.

rintinglen
09-30-2015, 10:27 PM
I have been looking for one of those, but I haven't been able to find a good one at a reasonable price. One like yours would run well over 400-heck maybe 500--hereabouts.
Congratulations, I had several of those in the 80's and 90's, but let them slip away. I'd like one to keep me company as I ride off into the sunset. A fellow with only one gun could do much worse. You did good.

TXGunNut
09-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Congrats on a fine old revolver, I'll bet a Wolff spring kit and maybe a bit of polishing will have it as smooth as your Target Masterpiece. You could also cut the mainspring screw and the rebound spring for similar results but that always takes me several tries and I'm a bit out of practice. Threads like this one make me want to drag an old S&W out of the safe for a trip down memory lane but it hasn't happened yet.
Looks fine to me, and I know how well those old 15's will shoot.

Guesser
10-01-2015, 10:25 AM
My 15-3 does just about everything in the same fashion as your. Great guns.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Bravo! One of the very best revolvers!

bedbugbilly
10-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Nice fin! I have a Combat Masterpiece (pre 15) and they are excellent shooters. I think you did fine on the price from what I've seen 15 dashes going for around here - when you can find them. And a little honest holster wear just adds to their character! Nothing like a good K frame! Congrats on your "new baby" and enjoy!

flint45
10-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Looks good to me I got one about five years ago that was pretty well used it shoots great.

Thumbcocker
10-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I have lusted after one of those for years. I would have broken my arm getting the money out for one at that price. congratulations.

Bman1954
10-01-2015, 02:47 PM
A young man brought a 15-3 into the local gunshop last year to trade on a glock.It had a Mono-grip on it and a bit of holster wear.Ten minutes later it was mine and has become my favorite handgun.If I could only have 1 handgun this would be it. Craig

Mk42gunner
10-01-2015, 03:35 PM
About the only thing that will beat a 4" Model 15 would be one of the extremely rare 4" Model 14's, and even then it would only be because you could say, "I have a 4" K-38 Masterpiece."

Robert