PDA

View Full Version : E-Wax shelf life

mjwcaster
09-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Just reading the some lube making threads made me remember that I should have some E-wax around.
Found the invoice, purchased in 2009.

Here is a link to the supplier's page-
http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=183
------------
Appearance: Off White Pastille
Odor: Characteristic
Solubility: Oil
Storage: Tightly Sealed, Protect from Heat / Freezing
Shelf: 24 Months
GUIDELINES
Usage: 2.0 to 10.0% *
Processing: Add to Oil Phase and Heat to 170F
-------------

Is this good for making boolit lube and would it still be good after 6 years?

I have no use for it and need to clean things out (packrat syndrome here).
I believe it has been stored inside it's whole life, but I cannot guarantee that it didn't spend time in the garage.
For reference older oils that I still have are good, nothing off or rancid ( I have a lot, used to sell candles/soaps and experimented with body products).

I will look at it when I get chance, it is in my storage center (parents basement, some things never change).

If it would be useful to anyone I am thinking about listing it for sale in smaller quantities (I bought 25lbs, didn't use much, price has increased, currently same price for 15lbs that I paid for 25lbs).

Maybe a site fundraiser, pay shipping and then donate whatever you think it would be worth to the site.

Otherwise I should just throw in the towel and toss it.

Matt

Mk42gunner
09-30-2015, 04:23 PM
I think you could probably use it, but it will take someone with more knowledge about waxes and oils than I to tell you how.

My suggestion would be to pick a fairly simple lube with three or four ingredients; make a control sample of the original recipe, then substitute your wax for one of the others.

Good Luck, fifteen pounds should make a lot of lube.

Robert

geargnasher
09-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Some of the best wax I ever used for bullet lube was likely produced in WWII and spend much of its storage life in the Nevada desert. Ask Lar45 about it sometime.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-01-2015, 11:53 AM
from your link

" Unlike some emulsifying waxes, Emulsifying Wax does not deteriorate on heating, experiencing only a slight alteration in color at temperatures up to 150-152°C for two hours. Under these severe conditions, it may lose 2-3% in weight with slight hardening of the wax."
I wonder what kind of wax/waxes makes up "Emulsifying Wax"?
and no doubt they add oils or such...from the above comment from your link, I suspect that info is proprietary. If I were you and planned to use and/or sell/giveaway this wax, I'd want to know this info and/or provide that info to those who would receive the wax.

also, I have some beeswax, bought from a member (not randyrat), that was touted to be decades old and was "out of the rain and sun" was about all that was said about it's storage...still is a fine ingredient for boolit lube

randyrat
10-03-2015, 09:06 AM
-I think it is food/ veg oil derived emulsifier, hence the shelf life of 24 months away from heat and freezing.
-Not good for mixing with any type of petro (I could be wrong)
-It would mix well with vegetable oils/ animal fats to make Black powder lubes, but keep the shelf life in mind.
-Very high cost, unless you have a cheap source.
- Beeswax will do it better at a far less cost, mix with Veg oils, Petro, and other waxes also stable for life and beyond.

BEESWAX is the cats meaw

To the question--- If it hasn't separated and smells ok I think it is still good. Someone could use it for candles or similar things.