PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Curve

wv109323
09-29-2015, 10:51 PM
One of the gun rags had an article about the Taurus Curve this month. One thing that caught my eye was the barrel muzzle/crown was curved to fit the rounded profile of the front of the slide. There was about a 1/4" inch in length from the top of the crown to the bottom of the crown.
This goes against everything I know about firearm accuracy. The article said nothing about it. I thought maybe the rifling was counter bored to the crown.
Anybody know how the barrel is made on this firearm.

dubber123
09-29-2015, 11:41 PM
If you look closer, you will see the muzzle is counter bored so that the rifling ends square to the bore. It is only the over sized portion that is at an angle.

9.3X62AL
10-01-2015, 05:24 PM
And we thought Glocks were homely......

rking22
10-01-2015, 05:37 PM
9.3x62AL... I just sprayed tea on my keyboard! You are so right :)

MtGun44
10-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Another ingenious solution to an non-existent "problem".

preparehandbook
10-03-2015, 01:18 AM
I want one. It'd be nice in 9x18 makarov.

TXGunNut
10-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Article is next up in my "library", looking forward to reading about it.

Artful
10-07-2015, 06:09 AM
I was sort of interested until I found all the articles about Taurus Customer Service or should I say No Service - They used to be good but everything recently was a negative.

Tackleberry41
10-07-2015, 12:14 PM
You do have to give them some credit, they tried something new. Us gun owners tend to be pretty traditional, and anything outside the box is to be ridiculed. I saw a thread on these guns when they first announced, and everybody piled on how terrible it was. Even tho obviously none had handled or shot the thing.

But it is Taurus, as pointed out their customer service is pretty bad, right up there with comcast. I doubt very many experienced people will be willing to be the guinea pig to sort out the issues that will crop up. And we know there will be issues, I wonder if gun companies even bother to fire new designs anymore, 'looks good on paper, ship em out'. It will be a crop of new people who find out the hard way what value the warranty has, and will then dislike Taurus for a long time.

Schrag4
10-07-2015, 12:58 PM
I believe it could have a smaller footprint. They curved the frame but the mags and mag well are straight. I'm no engineer, but couldn't the mags have been curved too, and the frame a lot thinner? Maybe the width of the slide makes it pointless to have a thinner frame.

I agree, it's ugly, but it's a carry gun. For the most part, nobody should ever see it. I'll take function over form any day of the week if it'll save my life. Any innovation to make a gun easier to carry (and therefore more likely to be carried) should be welcomed, IMO. I must admit, this particular gun has at least caught my attention.

FergusonTO35
10-07-2015, 04:26 PM
I do admire Taurus for their willingness to go in a new direction, but is a mini .380 such as Taurus' own 738 really that hard to conceal?

contender1
10-08-2015, 08:27 AM
I handled a couple at the SHOT Show,,, and felt it wasn't for me. It just didn't fit my hands & I feel the idea is kinda like what is said above. "the fix to a non-existent problem."
I know the concept was to build an easier to conceal handgun for the shape of a person's body. My question to the Rep was; "Who's body?" We are not all built the same & our body shapes are different. He stammered a reply about how it can rest in a better position on the hip. My reply was that most folks adjust their CCW holster to where it fits THEM,,, and where they are comfortable.
I chose to put this gun on the "ignore" list.
And that was before I thought about their customer service & how bad some of their guns have been when shipped.

9.3X62AL
10-08-2015, 11:56 AM
There was a time that I had patience with things like poor/non-existent customer service, and didn't mind turning wrenches on things that broke or finishing construction on things not complete (see "Ruger 45 Colt Blackhawk" for further reference). That time is in past tense, and is dead and stinkin'. A product needs to be right, or needs to be made right after the sale in a timely fashion--or I'm uninterested. Yes, Ruger has cranked out a few losers, but in most cases they make it right--so Ruger still figures highly in my gun safe. Few of my existing S&Ws were made after 1980, and only one of my Colts. ANY Taurus product will get zero consideration from me. What little patience reserves I have remaining as I commence my sixth decade were diminished greatly by the last 6-7 years of gun--ammo--and componentry shortages and absences that The Makers refuse to address in a significant way. Ruger and a few others are the only firms retaining even a vestige of good will from me. Generally, a walk through the ocean of their collective initiative would scarcely soak your ankles--so Taurus' poor reputation is only slightly worse than that of the bulk of the companies serving this hobby field.

No, there will be no Taurus Curves or Straightaways or Switchbacks in my future.

Boogieman
10-09-2015, 01:03 AM
I owned one Taurus, PT1911 , found what their Life Time Service means. That is how long it takes to get it.

preparehandbook
10-09-2015, 02:31 PM
I owned one Taurus, PT1911 , found what their Life Time Service means. That is how long it takes to get it.

I guess it's not what it used to be.

I had a taurus .357 that got thrown during a scuffle and hit a metal railing knocking the cylinder out of alignment.

Taurus installed a new cylinder and crane, retimed the action and reblued the whole gun. It took 7 weeks turnaround, but I was very clear the gun was damaged not defective. They charged me nothing.

A buddy decided he was going to see how hot he could load 9mm. He used clark-level loads over and over. He broke maybe 6 locking wedges, bulged a barrel, cracked a slide, blew a magazine apart with a case head separation. Every part was replaced free of charge. They stopped even having him mail in the broken ones, he just called them up and they sent him parts for free. He eventually started to build an entire second gun.

I guess those were the good old days.

azrednek
10-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Another ingenious solution to an non-existent "problem".

MyGun you're absolutely right but if it takes off like the 45/410 revolvers. Taurus will once again show their marketing genius. I just have a feeling it will sell like hot cakes.

OptimusPanda
10-09-2015, 03:02 PM
As a lefty, I feel I need to quote Mr Horse from Ren and Stimpy..."No sir, I don't like it."

thegatman
10-09-2015, 07:20 PM
I think they recalled these.

TXGunNut
10-09-2015, 09:48 PM
It's different. It's also based on the Kel-Tec design, should be a good gun if QA is held to a high standard. I personally wouldn't have one but I think it has potential.