PDA

View Full Version : Contender Super 16 45/70 loads?

Dogg
09-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Just purchased a 45/70 barrel for my old lion head Contender, now I need some good loads that won't damage the frame. The barrel is a super16 and will be used as a rifle.
I have a number of Marlin 1895s and an Encore in 45/70 but don't know if the Contender can handle the same pressures. So any help and insight in loading would be appreciated. Will be mostly using325-350gr cast bullets. Also have a supply of 480gr gas check bullets but would be limited use of these big boys.
Thanks
Dogg

cainttype
09-29-2015, 11:51 AM
The Contenders should never be loaded to modern lever-action or Encore levels. I'd stick with trapdoor level loads, if I were you.... and I kinda am.
I have the Super 16" in a carbine. A light, handy, and extremely effective short range thumper it is.
I use mainly 300-350 gr projectiles with Unique and 4759, mostly. Even at sedate velocities, less than 1300 fps, I doubt there's any medium game that can shake it off. Truth is, I find myself in the 1000-1100 fps range more often than not, but I shoot alot of 6" gongs for fun.

Groo
09-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Groo here
The Contender can take Federal 300gr loads and similar, with out trouble.
The question is , Can You?
If you want, I believe that SSK will still throat the barrels to JD's spec.
This will allow you to shoot SSK hand cannon loads [I have one] clear up to 500gr.
Be advised , you can shoot a harder kicking load from your hand [give in wrist,elbo,sholder joint]
than from a rifle stock.
And a 45-70 hand cannon KICKS!!!!!!

TGM
09-29-2015, 05:17 PM
The Lyman 49th handloading guide has loads listed for the Contender in 45-70

EDG
09-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Not really
The Contender cannot handle the top loads that can be fired out of a real rifle such as a Ruger #1 or Browning Highwall.

Groo here
Be advised , you can shoot a harder kicking load from your hand [give in wrist,elbo,sholder joint]
than from a rifle stock.
And a 45-70 hand cannon KICKS!!!!!!

tdoyka
09-30-2015, 01:49 AM
Not really
The Contender cannot handle the top loads that can be fired out of a real rifle such as a Ruger #1 or Browning Highwall.

i shoot mine out of a handi-rifle. mine shoots a 405gr fbfn and 36gr of h4198 at around 1400fps, its all you need and then some. as for "real rifles" my handi and if i wanted one, a encore, can shoot with the "real rifles" in top loads. all it does is leave a bruise on your shoulder, trust me, i know.
do the trapdoor loads, i do.

EDG
09-30-2015, 11:42 AM
The original poster was asking for loads for a Contender then the poster chimed in withe "Be advised , you can shoot a harder kicking load from your hand [give in wrist,elbo,sholder joint" than from a rifle stock" which is not correct since a Contender will not even withstand top loads.

What you claim is all you need is not what some people think is all they need.
Check out the maximum rifle loads for falling blocks in the manuals and see if that is what you can handle in a Contender - and you can't regardless of the number of hands used. The loads are too powerful for a Contender.

i shoot mine out of a handi-rifle. mine shoots a 405gr fbfn and 36gr of h4198 at around 1400fps, its all you need and then some. as for "real rifles" my handi and if i wanted one, a encore, can shoot with the "real rifles" in top loads. all it does is leave a bruise on your shoulder, trust me, i know.
do the trapdoor loads, i do.

M-Tecs
09-30-2015, 03:13 PM
A couple of cartridges in Contenders will stretch the frame. The 45/70 with medium to higher pressure loads will do this. Recoil only hurts you. Over pressure will stretch the frame. I keep my Contender 45/70 under 28,000 psi.

http://www.lasc.us/BellmMaxPressureContender.htm

Dogg
09-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Looks like there is a bit of difference of opinion! This is not making me comfortable with loading for my new barrel/contender. I think it would be prudent to stick with trapdoor type loads.
Ok... now do any of you have good load info for trapdoor type loads? Most of my 45/70 load info is for Marlin 1895s.
Dogg

M-Tecs
09-30-2015, 04:35 PM
The Hodgdon Reloading online guide has a good list of trapdoor loads. Some are more fun than I want to have out of my Super 14.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Parson
10-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Reminds me of an ad I once saw "Contender barrel in 45/70, shot and dropped once"

tdoyka
10-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Looks like there is a bit of difference of opinion! This is not making me comfortable with loading for my new barrel/contender. I think it would be prudent to stick with trapdoor type loads.
Ok... now do any of you have good load info for trapdoor type loads? Most of my 45/70 load info is for Marlin 1895s.
Dogg

lyman 49th edition
it has jacketed and cast boolits

gunauthor
10-03-2015, 10:23 PM
I use 24.5 grains of SR4759 powder along with a Lee 405 hollow base bullet. It is approx. 1250 fps, plenty of power for deer and easy on the shoulder (used in a Handi-rifle).

TCLouis
10-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Hornady manuals have load data for Contender and coated bullets.

I use trap door loads with boolits in any 45-70 I shoot. Rifle or Contender.

I think the poster was saying that one can take the recoil from the Contender Pistol, with LESS wear and tear on the shooter than from the rifle.

I certainly prefer most shooting from a pistol rather than rifle.