PDA

View Full Version : 38cal Round Ball for 357Mag Rossi 92 w/Reloader 7?

MediumCore358
09-29-2015, 12:26 AM
I've read this old thread a few times using 38 round ball sized to .357/.358 , case filled with reloader 7 to a touch but no crunch says good ole Felix! Fiber disc and a roll crimp over the round ball. No real reason for me to do this besides having reloader 7 that I'm not using, a Lee 38 cal mold I use for slingshot ammo, and a gun that shoots 357 ha. So what opinions to play around with this?

Recruit
09-29-2015, 11:20 AM
The only "concerns" I would have are:

1) Accuracy since there is not a lot of bullet engaging the rifling (only at the diameter)
2) Getting a decent crimp since it would have to be right at the diameter though shouldn't be that big a deal
3) Leading and velocity loss due to blow-by; i.e. not a lot of sealing between bullet and barrel

I emphasized "concerns" as I do not believe they are safety concerns. Just wondering if accuracy and velocity may be lacking. It's worth a try however. Have at it!

mdi
09-29-2015, 11:46 AM
I've sorta done it with my .44 Magnum Puma. I used Bullseye and W231 to launch balls out of my Ruger SBH and my Puma '92 on .44Magnum. I had no intensions of any velocity over getting the ball 25 yards or so, so I had no leading or excess fouling. I rolled the ball in Alox and seated it just below center and lightly roll crimped it. Not a reliable feeder in the Puma, but I could get most to feed OK. Accuracy was pretty good as I got 1 1/2" groups at 18 long paces with the Ruger, and slightly better with the 20" Puma. My rifle's groove diameter is .4315"-.432" and the balls dropped at .432" so I didn't push them, but were a good fit for my Ruger's .431" throats and .429" bbl...

Lot's of fun, no recoil or report to speak of...

rsrocket1
09-29-2015, 09:19 PM
I would save that Reloader 7 for some light 7mm loads. It works great for me in .223, .308 and 7.62x54R

MediumCore358
10-02-2015, 12:50 AM
The only "concerns" I would have are:

1) Accuracy since there is not a lot of bullet engaging the rifling (only at the diameter)
2) Getting a decent crimp since it would have to be right at the diameter though shouldn't be that big a deal
3) Leading and velocity loss due to blow-by; i.e. not a lot of sealing between bullet and barrel

Based on your #1 I wonder if using a 38 ball sized to .358 instead of a .360 ball as is, might be because the bearing surface is increased during sizing rather then riding on diameter point only?

I emphasized "concerns" as I do not believe they are safety concerns. Just wondering if accuracy and velocity may be lacking. It's worth a try however. Have at it!

As far as accuracy goes a paper plates @ 25-50yrds would suit me just fine.

MediumCore358
10-02-2015, 12:57 AM
"Lot's of fun, no recoil or report to speak of..." "I emphasized "concerns" as I do not believe they are safety concerns. Just wondering if accuracy and velocity may be lacking. It's worth a try however. Have at it!" You guys are enablers ha I'll give it a go safely when I have some time. Can I use pure lead ball or do they need to be hardened some?

Recruit
10-02-2015, 04:49 AM
I'd stick with pure lead. With minimal contact between the ball and barrel, you'll want the ball to obturate as much as possible to engage the rifling and form a seal.

Boolseye
10-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I suggest forgoing the RL7 and using light loads of a fast burning powder, such as BE.

Blackwater
10-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Only "concern" would be their tendency to riccochet, especially over water. Kind'a like dapping stones on water, and can take many bounces off the surface. Can also riccochet pretty badly, even in soft dirt. The shape is very conducive to this. Been a very long time since I shot any RB's, and then was only a few, just for kicks and giggles, mostly, but would make a nice bunny or squirrel load if you can find the right combo to give the accuracy needed for small game. Not a bad project to work on, really. I just never had enough time to devote to it, but what I did do was a lot of fun, and kind'a expands one's appreciation for what all CAN be accopmplished by reloading, when done carefully, with a plan, a goal, and a little determination and experimentation. Cheap, too, which is always good, and lets you shoot your bigger caliber guns on the cheap and in a manner that doesn't upset the neighbors in more settled but still non-urban areas. Lots to recommend it, but I always got away with full power loads. Spurred some interest in the neighbors, too, and that always gets them interested, and satisfies them that you're not going to launch one through their kitchen, and THAT is a very GOOD thing.

williamwaco
10-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Methinks you are going to convert that Rossi 92 to a very slow single shot.
Doesn't seem like much fun to me.

MediumCore358
10-04-2015, 11:35 PM
As far as powders go I have : reloader 7, unique, and trail boss that might be suitable for this experiment what do you guys think I should start at grain wise? Not looking for load data just opinions.