PDA

View Full Version : Custom Top Punch Manufacturer?

Nowherefound
09-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Hey guys,
I am hoping this is the right place but if not forgive me and place it where it belongs. I recently picked an old Cramer lube sizer (very much like a SAECO) which came with one top punch which fortunately fits a round nose boolit I plan on lubing at this station. I am trying to hunt down a source of a flat punch to use for a flat nose .30. Here comes the problem... The punches look like RCBS/Lyman punches but have a narrower and longer shank. Do you guys have any sources for punches for these older machines or know of anyone turning out punches who can run one with a custom shank size? I asked a couple of my favorite custom mold makers but they are all tooled up for molds and not able to run a one off punch. What say the group?

Minerat
09-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Try the Professor he makes top punches and they work very well. He may be able to make you a custom one for the Cramer. He is a Vendor Sponsor too.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?131-ThePerfessor

Nowherefound
09-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Sweet! Thanks Minerat, shooting him a message right now.

jsizemore
09-29-2015, 12:15 AM
Lathesmith or Buckshot may be able to help if Keith can't.

edler7
09-29-2015, 01:39 AM
As a last resort you could fill your punch with JB weld and set it over an oiled boolit you want to seat. It will form to that shape and dry and should work for sizing. The oil should keep the forming boolit from sticking to the cured JB weld.

Bent Ramrod
09-29-2015, 02:04 AM
If you know somebody with a lathe, duplicating your punch with a flat end would be a pretty quick job. If you have a drill press, you could get a Lyman/RCBS flat top punch and shave the shank down by spinning it and judiciously holding a file, then sandpaper, against the shank. The shank will be a little short, but should be long enough for the set screw to grip it.

Those Cramers are good machines.

Artful
09-29-2015, 03:07 PM
As a last resort you could fill your punch with JB weld and set it over an oiled boolit you want to seat. It will form to that shape and dry and should work for sizing. The oil should keep the forming boolit from sticking to the cured JB weld.

JPW (johnson's paste wax) works well if you have it. And I agree someone with a lathe can take an existing RCBS/Lyman top punch down to fit - just wondering how hard it would be open the hole in your ram to just fit existing RCBS/Lyman top punches...?

Nowherefound
09-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all of the replies guys. If I cant arrange with one of the guys listed to make one I may try that idea of chucking one in a drill and working the shank size down, not a bad idea really. As a last resort I may do the whole JB weld on the original one I have but like I said it is a nice fit for some round nose bullets I am gonna try running in this machine (this one is set up for Carnauba Red and my RCBS is full of BAC). That is an interesting idea to dry and drill out the whole in the ram portion and may be a viable option if other things don't work out. However, I had heard that these SAECO style presses are pretty tough to get properly align once taken apart? Any feedback from the group on that? I got a decent deal on this thing and had heard that they are pretty sweet and precise once they are set right so was getting it set up for my 30's and leaving the other machine for my plinkers.