PDA

View Full Version : Which Tumbler?

Sam Casey
09-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Just getting back into metallics and wonder what would be best no problem tumbler for pure hobbiest for some 223, 9mm, 41mag,etc.

dilly
09-28-2015, 03:57 PM
A real popular one is the Thumbler Model B.

If you want to step up to a really big capacity, Bigg Dawg (http://www.biggdawgtumblers.net/) is a good place to go.

The Frankford Arsenal one is pretty reasonably priced, but IMHO it's too new to have much information on their longevity.

I know RCBS has one that I know almost nothing about except that it's called a sidewinder.

I hope this helps.

Sam Casey
09-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Nice looking machine, but I am thinking more in $50-75 range. I really don't need sparkling clean brass; just want to knock enough crude off to facilitate easy reloading.

Ickisrulz
09-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Nice looking machine, but I am thinking more in $50-75 range. I really don't need sparkling clean brass; just want to knock enough crude off to facilitate easy reloading.

You are looking for the Berry's Tumbler (400). It's $70.00 and shipping from Berry's is free for orders over $75.00.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14546-c47-g8-b0-p0-400_Tumbler.aspx

bangerjim
09-28-2015, 08:40 PM
If you are NOT doing thousands at a time (!), look at the dual drum HF tumbler. I have had one for years with no problems. I have also dry process thousands of rounds with their vibrator unit.

20% coupon get the $$ down there!

Sam Casey
09-28-2015, 09:15 PM
The Berry's tumbler looks good, but big warning comes up on site saying shipping on retail orders will take at least 2 or3 weeks. As chance would have it, I stopped by my area HF today. They had small & large vibrating machines, but no rotary. I will definitely be small volume user. Beginning to think Lyman 1200. Gets good reviews when compared to RCBS & other $60-80 units.

dilly
09-29-2015, 10:05 AM
When I wrote out my list, for some reason I thought you had specified you wanted a rotary tumbler. I actually prefer vibratory tumblers for their general ease of use, and not having to dry brass or run water out to my reloading shed. Looking back of course I see you said no such thing.

Sorry for sending you down that more expensive path.

dudel
09-29-2015, 11:14 AM
I've run a Midway tumbler for many years. I recently tried Citric acid cleaning. I deprime on a separate press, the dump several hundred cases into a plastic box (a lid is nice). Add a tablespoon or two of the citric acid powder ($3/ container at Walmart in the food canning section). I use hot water, but it's not required. Give it a few shakes, and let it sit for 1/2 an hour and the brass comes out very, very clean and shiny. Rinse and dry. Primer pockets and case internals are clean. Big advantage is no dust, no noise, no pins or media to separate, no pins getting stuck in the case, no having to get media out of small bottleneck brass, and it's very cheap to try. Some people save their citric acid solution; I've not gotten to that point yet. There is a sticky in the Cast Boolits section.

Give it a try, the money you save is yours! My 20+ year old tumbler is getting a well deserved break.

mdi
09-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Not absolutely certain but, I believe a lot of the vendor's relabeled wobblers are made by a single manufacturer. Colors may vary, but look at design, case and bowl shapes and you'll see some pretty much the same.

I got a Lyman 1200 about 10-12 years ago and it's still working great.

williamwaco
09-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Consider a Frankford Arsenal media separator and wash them in water with a shot of citric acid and a few drops of washing machine detergent. Do not use dish soap. The suds will fill up your shop to the rafters.

Mytmousemalibu
09-29-2015, 04:18 PM
The Cabelas brand vibratory tumbler is made by Berry's MFG and they will honor the warranty of the Cabelas branded unit which can be had on sale often. I prefer STM wet tumbling and use a home built machine that was mostly free materials to build. I have about $50 in mine and that was for the pillow ball bearings.

Sam Casey
09-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Better life thru chemistry. Think I will try it dudel.