PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a madsen mg/a

porthos
09-28-2015, 03:23 PM
I have a madsen military mg/a bold rifle made in Denmark. the question that I have is about the rear ladder sight. there is no spring pressure to "hold down" the rear sight when it is raised or bottomed out for that matter. under recoil the sight will probably bounce up to a different unless it is pushed down after every sight. (haven't shot it yet) it's the only one that I've seen, so I have nothing to compare it to. anyone out there have one and can tell me if there is a type of spring under the sight that keeps downward pressure on it. a picture would be great.

porthos

roverboy
09-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Cool rifle. I've seen pics of them but, that's all. I would think that it would have to have a spring under the sight. Check out www.surplusrifleforum.com There's probably something about them in the Mexican,South American etc. section.

madsenshooter
10-14-2015, 11:58 AM
I have one of them, thus my handle. Mine had a homemade leaf spring in it, it works. I know it is homemade cause I bought a complete rear sight off ebay several years ago, no, I won't sell you the spring. I could give you measurements so you can make one, provided I can find the thing. Let me think, last saw in which pile...

I found it, once I get it disassembled down to the spring will get back to you with pics and dimensions!

madsenshooter
10-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Here's some pics to give you an idea what it's supposed to look like, and some measurements. I found I didn't have to disassemble the sight to get the spring out, I just had to tilt the ladder forward then drive the spring out. Sorry about the bad pics. You'll note the locking tab in the center. My homemade one didn't have that and recoil let the spring slide forward. Center punch applied where the locking tab should be took care of that. So, you can make the large end square and center punch it down to lock. Doesn't take much. I see a dimension missing from my pics, it's .040" thick. Also, with the rear of the spring on a level, the curve raises the front of the spring .290". While you have the action out of the stock, make sure the screws on front and rear sight are tight. When I first got mine the front sight was off center and loose. You won't be the only fellow with a homemade spring, I have one and noted another fellow's post on a different board with a homemade spring.

The spring didn't go back in as easy as it came out! Taking the ladder out will make it easier for you with less chance of damaging the finish. Crud, now I'll have to disassemble this one to get it back together.