PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Bisley take down guide

lar45
09-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Okay, here it is, my version of step by step instructions and pics of taking your Ruger Bisley apart and putting it back together.

The first step is to get a small plastic container to put all of your parts and screws in as they come out of the gun.
You will need a 3/32 allen wrench, and a couple of screwdrivers that fit the slot of the grip frame screws. If your screw driver doesn't fit , stop and go find one that does.

With the grips taken off, you can see the difference between the 45 Colt Bisley on the left and the new 5 shot 480 on the right.

cock the hammer, cut a small piece of wire, insert it into the hole at the bottom of the hammer strut, then let the hammer down. Next release the tension on the trigger spring by taking the legs off of the pin. This should be visible in the picture.

Next take the cylinder out. Use a 3/32 allen wrench to take the 2 screws out of the back side of the grip frame.

Next you will take the 3 screws out of the bottom of the grip frame. There are two longer screws in the back. When you take them out, you will notice that one is abit longer. Make a mental note of which hole this one came from. It holds the hammer pin in place.

More on the next page.

lar45
09-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Here is a pic of the difference in the screws.

With the screws out, you can now take the grip frame off. There are 2 spring loaded pins, one in front of the trigger guard, the other is at the back of the frame. The longer one goes in the back of the frame. Pull these out and put into your parts bin.

The next step is to take out the trigger pin. Use a screw driver or your thumb to press down on the spring that is closest to you, then push on the backside of the trigger pin until it comes out the front. Note that there is a groove in one end of it. pull out the trigger and hammer pins. Put them in your parts tub.

Grab ahold of the the trigger and hammer, then slide them out of the frame together.
Notice where the transfer bar safety hooks onto the trigger and the pawl goes in the hammer.
When you are done, these parts will need to go back in together in the same order.
Now take out the loading gate spring, loading gate and the bolt for the cylinder notches.(sorry, too early to remember the name of it.) I'll edit this later.

lar45
09-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Put all of the parts in your tub so you don't loose them.

This pic shows the relationship between the trigger and hammer.

45 Bisley on the bottom and the 480 Bisley on the top

Now you can clean/polish parts or what ever.
Next we get to put it back together...

lar45
09-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Now you are ready to put it all back together.

Put the loading gate into place, then put it's spring in place.
Push down on the spring and slide the trigger pin partway into the hole to hold the spring down.
Put the bolt into position, align the hold with the trigger spring and push the pin into it so that it is just visible on the other side.

Now comes the interesting part. Putting the trigger with the transfer bar and the hammer with the pawl into the frame all together at the same time. It really isn't hard at all once you see where the parts go. The transfer bar safety goes on the left side of the trigger while the pawl goes on the right side of the hammer. Both of them slide down into the slots on either side of the frame, while the trigger and hammer go down the middle.

DougGuy
09-28-2015, 10:55 AM
The next step is to take out the trigger pin. Use a screw driver or your thumb to press down on the spring that is closest to you, then push on the backside of the trigger pin until it comes out the front. Note that there is a groove in one end of it.

Hehe you must have a bionic thumb sir, those particular springs are a BOOGERBEAR for most of us! May I add this to your well written post for those of us who only have normal thumbs and well, those of us who are "all thumbs" so we can avoid the inevitable nasty and unsightly scratch on the frame that has gotten the best of quite a few people in assembly/disassembly of a Ruger SA revolver.. Worth it's weight in hrmm Linogold?

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/RUGERregSAGATEDETENTSPRINGCLAMP_zps9c6fff87.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/RUGERregSAGATEDETENTSPRINGCLAMP_zps9c6fff87.jpg.ht ml)

Get one at Brownell's or simply make one"

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/takedown-tools/ruger-sa-gate-detent-spring-clamp-prod978.aspx

lar45
09-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Align the hole in the trigger with the trigger pin and slide it through. When it's in place, the spring will snap into the groove holding it in place.
Next take the hammer pin and slide it into the frame and through the hammer.
Notice where the grooved end of the hammer pin is. It needs to be there so the longer grip frame screw can hold it in place.

Now take the two spring loaded plungers and put them into place. The long one into the frame and the short one in the grip frame.

Almost done.
Slide the grip frame onto the trigger, make sure that the trigger spring goes into it's slot on the trigger and and don't pinch the the spring on the back side of the frame.

I like to put the longer screw in first to hold the hammer pin in place.
Put all three of the bottom screws in place and get them just barley tight.
Next put the allen head screws into the back of the frame.
When everything is in place and the grip frame is centered, then tighten all of the screws.
Be careful to not over tighten the allen head screws, they seem to be a little soft and you can egg them out.
Put the grips back on and your ready to go.

If I missed anything important, please feel free to jump in.

lar45
09-28-2015, 11:02 AM
I did not know that those existed, but I will have one on order before the day is done.
Will they fit the BFR also? The spring on the BFR seems to be heavier than the Ruger.

Hehe you must have a bionic thumb sir, those particular springs are a BOOGERBEAR for most of us! May I add this to your well written post for those of us who only have normal thumbs and well, those of us who are "all thumbs" so we can avoid the inevitable nasty and unsightly scratch on the frame that has gotten the best of quite a few people in assembly/disassembly of a Ruger SA revolver.. Worth it's weight in hrmm Linogold?

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/RUGERregSAGATEDETENTSPRINGCLAMP_zps9c6fff87.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/RUGERregSAGATEDETENTSPRINGCLAMP_zps9c6fff87.jpg.ht ml)

Get one at Brownell's or simply make one"

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/takedown-tools/ruger-sa-gate-detent-spring-clamp-prod978.aspx

44man
09-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Now how about the easy way to get the gate spring in?
Do not hook it under the gate pin but have the gate in. Now put the trigger pin in first and it takes a lot less pressure. Once together, take a small dowel or such and engage the end under the gate pin.
Lar, same spring and works the same way on the BFR.
Stick a little STP there too. No need at all for a jig. There is no need to engage the gate when putting the trigger pin in. The spring will slip right in place.

44man
09-28-2015, 12:38 PM
By the way, no need to remove the grip frame to remove the hammer spring or install it before putting the frame on. It will slide out or in with the grip frame on the gun. It is the last part I put in.

44man
09-28-2015, 12:46 PM
See here.149957 I just grab an Allen wrench for a pin. The end of the trigger spring might unhook, just put it back.

Jackpine
09-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Great post lar45. I have taken apart Rugers enough times I can just about do it in my sleep now, but REALLY would have loved this the first time I did it. I am sure there will be a lot of folks who will benefit from it. Thanks for putting all the time into it.

Just an FYI, the attachments on both your posts and assembly do not come thru for me. It just shows "attachment #" and when I click on it, it takes me to a page that says to notify the admin or something like that.

Also, a thumbs up for the little Brownells clamp tool. I had used a small C clamp with a little piece of hardwood that I had fabricated for years, but about a year ago I did action jobs on a pair of Rugers for a friend while he watched me. I mentioned that there was an actual tool for this, but I was too cheap to buy one and a week later a package showed up from Brownells courtesy of my friend. Works much better than my Jerry rigged tool.

Thanks again,

Jackpine

smorin2
09-28-2015, 02:06 PM
I found this very helpful also.Could this be made a Sticky please?

lar45
09-28-2015, 09:55 PM
There I got the pictures put in the right place.
Maybe I just tried to upload too many at once?