PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pie Shine

jcwit
09-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Anyone here try making Apple Pie Moonshine?

If so, what'd you think of it? Just ends up sort of a Liqueur?

bayjoe
09-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Add peaches. Gives it a bit of a sweet flavor

Ithaca Gunner
09-27-2015, 11:07 PM
I've done cherry pie shine, never heard of apple pie shine. Cherry pie shine turns out like an XXXtra hard cider, it'll sneak up on ya and kick ya!

runfiverun
09-27-2015, 11:57 PM
never made it but I have drank it.
it's still moonshine but tastes like apple, not like apple juice for sure, but it has the taste of apples.

gpidaho
09-28-2015, 12:05 AM
I had some a friend picked up in Mo. It was very good, apple and cinnamon with a big BITE! Gp

DougGuy
09-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Soon we will be getting those big black sweet cherries from Peru and Chile, they come in December. Take half a quart jar of these, top it off with 'shine, set it in a dark cupboard a couple of months, it will be so blood red you can't see through it, it will be near black! Set it in the fridge and you are good to go! Goes down smooth and easy, tastes like little kids cough medicine, warms you from the inside out.

lightman
09-28-2015, 08:15 AM
A friend that comes up to duck hunt brings some when he comes. The apple taste takes away some of the harshness from the shine and YES, it will sneak up on you!

koehn,jim
09-28-2015, 09:25 AM
I make it and enjoy it. Put apple cider and apple juice in a sauce pan and heat, add cinnamon and let cool. Than add the shine and some vanilla flavored vodka. You are looking for a final proof of about 80.

DougGuy
09-28-2015, 07:40 PM
You are looking for a final proof of about 80.

That's not shine. The stuff I am used to is close to 180 proof. Franklin County VA. That's shine! You can eat 4 of the cherries out of the jar and you have just drank a 6 pack.

1911cherry
09-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Most anyone looking for apple pie wants a low proof sipping drink, a jar of 180 triple run will probably send them to the ER.
Try using 1 1/2 quarts apple juice and 1 1/2 quarts apple cider ,heat to a boil add 1 cup brown sugar and dissolve. Stir in 1 tsp pie spice, seems like suped up nutmeg. Remove from heat, way away from heat, and pour in 1 quart of 180 proof or everclear jar up in quarts with 1 cinnamon stick per jar refrigerate and enjoy. The longer it sits the stronger the cinnamon favor gets.

BD
09-29-2015, 06:47 PM
No offense, but anything that gets it's alcohol content out of a store bought bottle cannot be "shine" by any definition of the word. I'm wondering what planet I've landed on at this point.

seaboltm
09-29-2015, 08:21 PM
No offense, but anything that gets it's alcohol content out of a store bought bottle cannot be "shine" by any definition of the word. I'm wondering what planet I've landed on at this point.

what he said. but on the other hand, there are formulas out there for apple pie moonshine. google it. I have made it and it tastes great. it was apple cider, cinnamon, sugar, other spices, get that boiling and mix. Let cool. Add Everclear, 190 proof. Wife loved it.

dragon813gt
09-29-2015, 08:44 PM
I prefer peach or lemon flavored. But I've had the apple pie and it tastes good. I prefer the lower proof versions. "White Lightning" does not really agree w/ me. But it's not like brown liquor which turns me into someone I don't like being.

ol skool
10-03-2015, 08:00 PM

I thought the same thing for a minute or two. But, considering the hardcore DIY nature of the folks here...

rugerdude
10-03-2015, 08:24 PM
I have had it several times at WBTS reenactments and it has invariably been very good. All of the versions I have had were said to be a combination of first run shine, dried apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.

I have also had some made by a local guy who adds dried peaches, pears, persimmons, cherries, strawberries or blackberries. Always extremely good. My grandmother also made her "cough medicine" with some of this fellows shine. She would get a pint jar from him and add soft peppermint sticks until the shine turned bright pink. Then it would sit in the back of the cabinet until you coughed, at which time you would get a healthy dose poured down your throat!

Geezer in NH
10-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Store bought is belter than being poisoned IMHO. Drink shine that is from unknown maker is like playing Russian Roulette.

I buy my liquor from a legal small distillery. After adding the flavors cut to 75-80 proof. From the 170 proof they sell.

dragon813gt
10-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Store bought is belter than being poisoned IMHO. Drink shine that is from unknown maker is like playing Russian Roulette.

I buy my liquor from a legal small distillery. After adding the flavors cut to 75-80 proof. From the 170 proof they sell.

I tend to agree. Nothing wrong w/ Everclear. I will buy shine off of a few select people. They've been making it for a long time. It's always down to around 80 proof since it's more palatable to most.

ol skool
10-03-2015, 11:16 PM

I think this is prudent if you don't know the distiller. However, anyone that understood HS Chemistry (or maybe not, eh?) can successfully distill. Heads and tails cut are temp dependent and completely different chemicals with completely different properties. There is no witchcraft or mystery here.

Personal use is legal in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the UK have decided to not enforce personal use distilling, and I think Sweden and Norway as well. We're the only ex-Brit country to keep it illegal. Says something either about our liberty hating gov't or about our HS graduation rate...

In Oregon you can grow dope. But in the US you can't distill 5 gallons of wine to a couple fifths of hooch. Weird, eh?

rush1886
10-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Mind you, this ain't 'shine-but if you want to drink a slice of apple pie, this is pretty good!!--

Take a gallon of apple cider, pour about 1/2 of it into another container and save for final step.
Into the now 1/2 full cider jug, pour in a fifth of Yukon Jack liqueur, and a pint of high end Vodka. Everclear works, but the high end Vodka smooth's out the finished product, takes the bite out. If you really want the bite, use Everclear.
Drop in 3-4 cinnamon sticks, and a dozen or so whole cloves.
Top the jug back up with the reserved cider, cap and allow to sit in a warm place, for a week or 10 days. As above, the longer, the better.

Be sure you have no place to go, and preferably be sitting down, when you swill your first glassful. Really good for dessert on Turkey Day! And no hassle baking! Oh, no ice!

osteodoc08
10-04-2015, 06:34 PM
never made it but I have drank it.
it's still moonshine but tastes like apple, not like apple juice for sure, but it has the taste of apples.

Same experience here

condorjohn
10-04-2015, 07:23 PM
You'll find a whole thread (?) on "cookin' recipes." "Kentucky Apple Pie.

MaryB
10-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Back in my younger party days I had an all glass still. Turned out some really good shine in small amounts. Would brew up a quart for a party now and then and to take ice fishing.

seaboltm
10-17-2015, 12:33 AM
In Oregon you can grow dope. But in the US you can't distill 5 gallons of wine to a couple fifths of hooch. Weird, eh?

Not true. You can legally distill liquor for your own personal use. you can buy a still ready to go. If you want to sell it, that's a different story. BTW, that's true of beer and wine too. You can make it for your own consumption, but if you want to sell it, that's a different story.

N4AUD
10-17-2015, 12:45 AM
Not true. You can legally distill liquor for your own personal use. you can buy a still ready to go. If you want to sell it, that's a different story. BTW, that's true of beer and wine too. You can make it for your own consumption, but if you want to sell it, that's a different story.
You can brew beer and ferment wine but you cannot legally distill any alcohol. It's a federal offense. You cannot legally even own an unregistered still. It's federal offense for a miller to mill corn that is sprouting as well. Here's a link- http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml

SSGOldfart
10-17-2015, 01:10 AM
I've done cherry pie shine, never heard of apple pie shine. Cherry pie shine turns out like an XXXtra hard cider, it'll sneak up on ya and kick ya!
Very quickly too.Apple should be about the same just don't make it to sweet.man I miss those days

Bad Water Bill
10-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Its been over 50 years since I tipped a jug or mason jar of shine.

The MAKE BELIEVE shine you buy today at the liquor stores does not taste nor smell like the real home brew I used to enjoy when I was stationed at NAS OCEANA.

Them days and that shine are gone for good as the last still I heard about in or near Chiraq got raided shortly after the old stock yards shut down.

Seems a shiner owned a house next to the stock yards police station and had been brewing for many years.

Yes the smell from the yards was was way stronger than the still.

Unfortunately he forgot the yards were being cleaned up but a cop born and raised in W V knew just what the aroma meant.

Gone but not forgotten.:bigsmyl2:

toallmy
10-17-2015, 05:34 AM
I don't drink shine , since the plastic barrels and jugs started being used ,it's like drinking water out of a hot water hose. But good copper and glass jar stuff stuff use to be good . Now the sit down and relax drink is jimbeam smother with or without coke and ice depending on outside temp. Be a responsible drunk . I mis glass coke bottles to .

762 shooter
10-17-2015, 08:22 AM
To press a point home. You CANNOT legally distill anything for personal use in the United States of America. The only country I know of that it is legal is New Zealand.

It's a shame.

I doubt that it is a high priority for the BATFE, but still (pardon the pun) very illegal.

Good shine in a quart jar with some charred white oak sticks turns a delicious amber color with excellent vanilla after tones in about a week. Just saying.

gwpercle
10-17-2015, 09:26 PM
I got a jar in the refrigerator, it was left over from a wedding and big reception. I've Never made it but consumed a lot of it. It sneaks up on you, taste good, goes down easy, them knocks you down when you not looking.
The peach shine taste better than the apple but strange as it seems the BANANA shine is hands the best tasting......that's some good stuff. I have no idea how it's made but it does not taste like rotten banans...it has a pleasant banana flavor and has a higher alcohol content than the apple or peach and is not as sweet. It's my favorite.

Gary

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2015, 05:02 PM
I drink very little anymore. Ill have a beer occasionaly (no flavored kinds, make mine a bud thank you) and even like a little sip of shine occasionaly. I keep a couple jars in the loading room. I have a friend that gets it for me for free. Sorry to all who disagree but I had my first shine right out of a still in NC and thought it was some of the best sipping wiskey I ever drank and to this day I want my wiskey to taste like wiskey not some yuppie flavored water or micro brewed beer.

jcwit
10-19-2015, 05:30 PM
I drink very little anymore. Ill have a beer occasionaly (no flavored kinds, make mine a bud thank you) and even like a little sip of shine occasionaly. I keep a couple jars in the loading room. I have a friend that gets it for me for free. Sorry to all who disagree but I had my first shine right out of a still in NC and thought it was some of the best sipping wiskey I ever drank and to this day I want my wiskey to taste like wiskey not some yuppie flavored water or micro brewed beer.

To each their own, myself? I drink not at all as far as alcohol goes.

My daughter brought it up and as I like peaches it sounded good, but not for me.

Used to like Johnnie Walker, Maker's Mark, or for pure enjoyment, Yukon Jack or Southern Comfort. Neither of these 4 would I call a Yuppie flavored drink.

Never did like beer.

Littleton Shot Maker
10-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Even just to make fuel alcohol one needs a permit and then it has to be -poison pilled so it con not be consumed,
we thought about making our own fuel a few years back when still on the bird farm and trying to save some bucks on fuels, the permit is cheap BUT you have to track every thing , every pound of sugar, corn, grain, even waste , what a mess just to make FUEL...

I think they where worried more about fires and burning down Chicago again and not the bad spirits that folks consumed and then got sick or dead...

didn't they want us to be more independent from Over seas fuels and oil???