PDA

View Full Version : smith&wesson m&p 22 compact

sandman228
09-27-2015, 06:47 PM
I recently picked up a new s&w m&p 22 compact from a local shop . I was looking for a 22 auto that wasn't to big or to small that was accurate and fun to shoot and not a pita to clean. I own a nice single six already but wanted an auto . ive owned several 22 autos over the years ruger mk 1,2,and mk 3's they shoot good but are such a pita to tear down, ive owned a beretta neos a gsg 1911 22 a ruger charger and others but was never really happy with any of them . well I bought this smith brought it home and cleaned it (easy to tear down and put back together) took it to range the next day with 450 rounds of a couple different kinds of ammo . I started out with 100 rounds of Remington thunderbolt no ftf no fte no ftf and it hit pretty much where I was aiming . next the dreaded Winchester white box 100 rounds 1 fte 2 ftf accuracy was ok but not as good of groups as the thunderbolts. next 100 rounds of federal bulk pack ammo I think it was auto match not sure .no probs at all . next 100 rounds of Winchester super x this sh t was total garbage to many probs to list . so after all those I still had 50 rounds of thunderbolt left I loaded the mags started shooting and for some reason the gun was hitting 4 inches to the left even at close range . so after 450 rounds I brought it home tore it down to clean and the barrel was so leaded and goobered up I couldn't hardly get a bore brush through it so I spent an hour or so scrubbing the barrel and got it all cleaned up . I took it back to range today with another 100 rounds of Winchester white box and another hundred of Remington thunderbolts the point of aim was good the accuracy was good grouping was good ,gun was back to normal . I took my bore light with me and every few mags full I would check for leading and I didn't really have any .all and all this is a great little 22 auto ,by far my favorite out of any 22 auto ive ever owned . theres been plenty of times over the years ive taken a22 and a full brick of ammo with me and usually after 100 rounds or so im bored with it , not the case this time the m&p compact is an awesome little 22 in my opinion . I just figured I'd put this out there for anyone thinking of buying one but wasn't sure

fourarmed
09-28-2015, 04:01 PM
What size groups? My M&P is my most accurate .45, although my two old Commanders come close.

Tackleberry41
09-28-2015, 05:02 PM
I bought one of the compacts recently, nice little gun, light. But certainly not a target gun, but am comparing it to a Ruger 22/45. Not much different than my 9mm shield accuracy wise. I was concerned it would be picky on ammo. But even shooting a bag of junk thru it, friend gave me a big box of random 22, guess somebody thought a gun store is where you take any ammo you don't want. It ate most of it with no issues, but it was garbage ammo, so any issues are ammo not the gun. Has no issues w subsonic I like to use or any other decent ammo so far.

Seen some stuff that can be done to it, some disable the mag safety, but then makes the mag loose in the gun, saw where it could be modified easily. The sear engagement leaves alot to be desired. They go overboard w the safety aspect. Has that really long trigger pull, then the weight stacks up as the sear angle pulls the hammer back before letting it go. Guess they needed the long trigger pull for the mag safety. You have to take the barrel out to get the trigger out.

sandman228
09-29-2015, 10:50 AM
i was getting 2 inch groups at 10 yards offhand with several double holes in target with the thunderbolt ammo not as good with Winchester white box . the Winchester super x that was one prob after another actually was the most expensive ammo out of the bunch . I haven't tried any farther than 10 yrds with it yet im sure with more trigger time and better ammo in can get better with it . as for comparing it to the 22/45 yes the 22/45 may shoot better but the tear down is almost like a cruel joke played on consumers by ruger. ive had a few of the mark series pistols over the years yes they shoot good but im done with them . im not trying to trash talk ruger I love there revolvers I own 5 of them and have no complaints with any ,as for there autos ive been having a run of bad luck with them lately like my full auto sr9c (not intended to be full auto).

bedbugbilly
10-01-2015, 01:33 PM
I haven't had the chance to handle one but from what I've read, those that have them seem to really like them. I stopped shooting 22s when the ammo got short and I had to stand in line in Tucson when I was in AZ for an hour just to buy a box of 50 LR. Since then, my 22s have been "parked". When I have run across any 22s lately, it all seems to be garbage ammo. It's a shame and hopefully the supply/quality brands will be available more frequently at some point.

Sounds like you had fun though and glad you like the M & P. I recently both a 9mm Shield and I think their M & P line offers some great choices. Have fun and enjoy!