PDA

View Full Version : Todays local bpcr shillouette match

country gent
09-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Whew what a day its been. Went to the local shillouette and had a great day with the cpa 40-65. Was a great day weather wise in northwest ohio, bright and sunny nice breeze blowing. Mirage wasnt bad till the last couple stages of the match. I shot an all time high for me of 39 in the match. 6 offhandchickens, 8 chickens from the sticks, 8 pigs missed shots 2 and 9 just lost concentration. 9 turkeys, and 8 rams agan 2 and 9 were the misses. The side match on the quigley bucket ended with 3 of us in a shoot off trading shots down the line. Took 6-7 rotations before I won the shoot off. Was a very good day and alot of fun with good friends.

PS Paul
09-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Jealous. Nothing but honeydo's and work-related nonsense. It's my day off too. But I'm the boss all the time.
I sure am pleased to hear someone is having a good day out shootin! Bass fishin tomorrow and shootin next week for me.
Tell us more about your Quigley bucket contest!

country gent
09-27-2015, 06:45 PM
At this range the bucket is shot from the sticks at 400 yds (its 20" bottom 24" top and I think 20" tall) we do shoot from the sticks prone or sitting. 4 shots 1st is convertable sighter then 3 for record. Theres only one bucket so several things come into play here. 1 Is you take "turns shooting it as you finish the last stage. Meaning if your shooting true black keeping fouling soft. 2 depending on where yo are on the line an elevation adjustment may be needed due to the angle from firing point to target. Secod is light angle on target from where you are. Its a fun target and a challenge to get it right from the start. I had 4 well centered hits today and was holding solid thru the shoot off..

Mitch
09-27-2015, 07:47 PM
A good day it was.Now I think I need to look for a rifle a bit harder.so many new questions now that I have had time to think on it a bit.It looked to me to be some stiff compotition at the shoot today.Country get thanks again for the shots on the cpa.did you notice what I forgot to do on the 2nd shot?sure did make my day hitting the ram on the first shot at 400 to boot.Btw I forgot to pull the scope back lol

PS Paul
09-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Man, that sounds like a ton of fun! Good shootin there! 4 solid hits? I figure it just cannot get much better than that, right?
At this range the bucket is shot from the sticks at 400 yds (its 20" bottom 24" top and I think 20" tall) we do shoot from the sticks prone or sitting. 4 shots 1st is convertable sighter then 3 for record. Theres only one bucket so several things come into play here. 1 Is you take "turns shooting it as you finish the last stage. Meaning if your shooting true black keeping fouling soft. 2 depending on where yo are on the line an elevation adjustment may be needed due to the angle from firing point to target. Secod is light angle on target from where you are. Its a fun target and a challenge to get it right from the start. I had 4 well centered hits today and was holding solid thru the shoot off..

country gent
09-28-2015, 04:50 PM
4 hits in the end match, the shoot off was another 6 or so fired 1 at a time in order on the line. So all in total 10hits on the bucket.

daniel lawecki
09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Where do you shoot NW Ohio that has a 400 yard range?

country gent
09-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Sunday was at Auglaize musem in defiance ohio. Keep in mind I think that range is open for scheduled events only. Sandusky County sportsman club (I think thats right) outside Elmore has 500 yds range. Member ship required or guest of member scheduled event. Camp Perry is out to 1000 yds sheduled event only. In michigan is Washenaw Sportsman club that has 600 yds members only and scheduled events only. Check out Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association for Ohio ranges where what and when. They probably have the most complete listing of ranges and events.Monroe rod and gun is 200yds Adams conservation is 200yds Southern michigan is 100 yds fulton county sportsman club has 100 yds I think henery county Im not sure of any more. Maumee valley Im not sure about. Most in ohio are private clubs and a membership is required, some reward for work hours done and some require work hours as part of membership. Sandusky County isnt to awfull bad to get to I take turnpike to exit 81 I think go south to elmore and at the corner with bakery in town back east to club.

45workhorse
09-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Jealous
Envious
I am glad somebody is burning some powder!

Area Man
09-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Where do you shoot NW Ohio that has a 400 yard range?

Or anyplace in OH or just outside OH that has BPCR for that matter?

country gent
09-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Auglaize in Defiance oHio has BPCR ( to 400 yds ) they shoot pigs and turkeys at 300 yds rams at 400. Sandusky County shoots wensdays BPCRto 500 yds. Some others do have small bore shillouettes and other matches. High Power, small bore and trap skeet are predominent.

daniel lawecki
09-29-2015, 04:54 PM
I belong too Southern Michigan and have shot at Sandusky as a guest. I would mind getting into the sport of black powder shooting.

country gent
09-29-2015, 05:10 PM
I shot NRA High power ( service and Match rifle) accross the course and long range. MS has taken its toll on me and had to give that up so I got into this BPCR shillouettes at the loacal clubs. Its a ball, and really very addictive. A good high wall, sharps style, rolling block or other period style rifle in a caliber from 38-55 to 45-70 recoils can make for a long day with bigger rounds. Sticks can be made line boxes can be made a spotting scope and stand stool or mat a spotting board is nice also. and your good to go. Come out to sandusky and watch introduce yourself around and well get you addicted.

RonT
09-29-2015, 06:50 PM
A buddy and I were at the last Sandusky shoot to scout out the program. We are hoping to get set up for the Oct. shoot.
R

Area Man
09-29-2015, 07:10 PM
I shot NRA High power ( service and Match rifle) accross the course and long range. MS has taken its toll on me and had to give that up so I got into this BPCR shillouettes at the loacal clubs. Its a ball, and really very addictive. A good high wall, sharps style, rolling block or other period style rifle in a caliber from 38-55 to 45-70 recoils can make for a long day with bigger rounds. Sticks can be made line boxes can be made a spotting scope and stand stool or mat a spotting board is nice also. and your good to go. Come out to sandusky and watch introduce yourself around and well get you addicted.

Most likely I'll take you up on that after hunting season. Thanks

country gent
09-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Fair weather shooters here we shoot the spring / summer early fall months I think there are 2 left at Auglaize this year and 1 at sandusky. Third sundays at auglaize and wensdays 1 a month at Sandusky.

country gent
09-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Ron I was there shooting. Im the one using the walker to get around. LOL. Me and my partner were on target 8. Dad was with me helping Im also one of the few there shooting Black Powder instead of sub loads.

daniel lawecki
09-29-2015, 08:15 PM
Auglaize I'll have to goggle that one.

country gent
09-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Its just a little west of defiance ohio. Auglaize village

Silver Jack Hammer
10-02-2015, 08:29 PM
What a great post. I've working with my Sharps, I've been shooting it off hand about once a week. I'm just getting over a back sprain which really diminished my ability to hold it steady due to pain. I should have gone shooting today but I'm sitting in the jacuzzi right now after massage therapy.

Boy, I sure posted a lousy post.

Hickory
10-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Next time you gents go to Auglaize Village send me a PM.
I would like to meet either or both of you.

Deadeye Bly
10-03-2015, 10:21 PM
If any of you guys in Ohio would like to try Black Powder silhouette out to 500 meters you can shoot in McDonald, PA which is about 20-25 miles SW of Pittsburg. You could also go to Friendship, IN, Ashland, KY or Alma, MI. You're surrounded but there is no 500 meter range in OH with BPCR that I know of. To really get a feel for what your rifle can do you need to shoot longer than 200 or 300 yds.

country gent
10-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Samdusky County Sportsmans Cloub just outside elmore has 500yds rifle range, Auglaize is 400 yds.

RonT
10-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Same buddy (mentioned earlier) and I are planning to attend the Oct. 14th shoot. But,.... we both need sighting in settings just shoot, let alone compete. He is awaiting trigger/sear return and sights, I'm dialed in at 100 & 200 but not longer. Hard to get 500 yds. from anything around our area so this will have be another scouting trip.
Cheers,
R

country gent
10-16-2015, 10:37 PM
SHot the match at Sundusky wensday the 14th?. Started out nice with 4 hits offhand at 100yds. not my best but not bad either. The chickens off the sticks at 200 yds I hit 7 of them nice again and was happy there. Pigs were another 7 hits from 300 yds. good for me. Not sure what happened on the turkeys, Hit the first 2 nice solid center hits then missing low I adjusted up or held high but didnt get another hit on them. he rams were again hit first 2 solid and centered ( made one gray patch in the white paint) then just under belly for the rest. Finished the day with a 23. Never hit the bucket once just around its edges. Light was dull and targets werent standing out real good. I also think my eye sight was going ( not yet diabetic but runs in family heavy blood pressure really affects my vission). On the plus side first shot at each yard line was a solid hit, man that feels good to set up put the sight setting on read the wind and squeeze the trigger then be rewarded with the clang or ding and see that steel critter bounce in the sights. Thinking back I may have not been following thru on turkeys and rams wanting to see the hits. But was a great day. My shooting partner couldnt make it so Dad got his first taste of spotting / scoring. Met Ron T and his friend wensday also. They are fine gentleman. Like I stated it was a great day. Finished up at the local resteraunt for late lunch and bull session.

jlmurphy
10-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Follow through is really important, I try to watch the animals through the sights to see if they fall. If you look up to see if they were hit, they will still be standing.

country gent
10-17-2015, 10:18 PM
I know, but its easy to forget it when things are going right. LOL. The few times Ive shot trap I do the same thing raise my head to see the bird break.