PDA

View Full Version : KY turkey #2 down!

koger
09-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Well, every sow finds an acorn occasionally, got lucky this am and tagged my 2nd hen turkey, in 2 days, sure have been blessed! Same blind as yesterday, 23 yd shot, flopped a couple of times and that was it, DRT! I used the same arrow and head as yesterday, cleaned up an sharpened. I boned it out, packed in Italian dressing and soy sauce, and into the freezer, first bird will be battered up in finger size cutlets, and fried in bear grease! Yum YUm!

petroid
09-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Way to go! I'm gonna try for them this fall too

jabo52521
09-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Moving to Louisville in July. Y'all can show me how it's done. Never eaten wild turkey.

Duckiller
09-26-2015, 11:09 PM
Are you turkey hunting or deer hunting? Never going to get a deer if you keep shooting turkeys. Last buck my brother got he said he would have never gotten a buck if he had had a doe permit. Wouldn't have waited for a buck when he had a doe permit burning a hole in his pocket. He was late fileing for a doe permit that year so he had to wait for horns, at least 3 point on on side not counting brow tines.

koger
09-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Guys I live in Monticello, on Lake Cumberland, about 3 hours from Louisville, we need to get together sometime, burn some powder an sling lead, especially black powder! Petroid what part of the state do you hail from? We have a shotgun season also, few years back I killed both spring gobblers, and all 4 fall birds, with a longbow and recurve bow. This was one of my best years, I consider any turkey, killed with any archery tackle, a true trophy! This bird made my 19th bird with a bow of some type. I have taken one coyote on the ground and one bobcat also, while turkey hunting from a natural blind, shot them both under 10yds, man I knew my scent control regimen was working! I will get a buddy to post pics of both of these birds!

petroid
09-27-2015, 12:33 AM
I just moved to western KY from Louisville. Never turkey hunted before but lots of opportunities around here. Now that I have some breathing room outside the big city, I got my first archery deer in the woods behind my house. Jabo there's a lot of turkey hunting on public land close to Louisville. Taylorsville Lake WMA is a short drive. Knobs State Forest is small but not too much pressure. Nolin River Lake isn't too far either. Enjoy!

petroid
09-27-2015, 12:42 AM
Are you turkey hunting or deer hunting? Never going to get a deer if you keep shooting turkeys. Last buck my brother got he said he would have never gotten a buck if he had had a doe permit. Wouldn't have waited for a buck when he had a doe permit burning a hole in his pocket. He was late fileing for a doe permit that year so he had to wait for horns, at least 3 point on on side not counting brow tines.

Here in KY your deer permit gets you two deer, only one can be antlered, but in any order. And there's no filing. You just get it. Additional antlerless permits for two more deer are available, too. And depending on which county you hunt, you may be able to get an unlimited number of antlerless permits, like around the cities and in the western part of the state where they are destroying the crops. Lots of cheap venison around for the taking. I'm going to hunt as much as I can to try and fill the freezer. Turkeys are really common too and I'd venture to say, have surpassed deer as the most desirable game. Deer "hunting" is almost a misnomer anymore as you just about can't drive around without having one run into you. Yes, more often than not, it is the deer that does the colliding, not the vehicle.

koger
09-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Also, some western counties in KY, Zone 1, have unlimited doe tags, and farmers have crop depredation tags, that are free from them. We used to hunt on some farms in West KY and Tenn., tons of deer, more like shooting rabbits than deer hunting. Here in the S Central part of the state, close to Tenn. Line, we don't have as many, but a good healthy population, and some dandy bucks. I have taken 71 deer with a bow, in last 25+ years hunting 2 states, and nearly that many more with center fire and ML rifles. I don't trophy hunt any more, just look for deer that will put a lot of burger in the freezer, and canned meat on the shelf! My wife hunts too, gets her 2 deer nearly every year, being self sustainable is our main hobby. We grow a garden, double crop it of the summer, and last 2 years have grown a winter garden, using seeds from Norway, northern England and FRance, that are nearly frostproof till zero, have been eating out of my garden for 2 years, continuously!

1989toddm
09-27-2015, 11:04 PM
#2 Bird!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/27/3d5e098b9d2b4206462d6eb647610bc1.jpg

petroid
09-27-2015, 11:31 PM
#2 Bird!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/27/3d5e098b9d2b4206462d6eb647610bc1.jpg

Very Nice! I'm jealous.

Got-R-Did
09-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Man, some Guys don't know how to keep a secret!8-)
All kidding aside, I have to agree that KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife Services does an amazing job of managing and aquiring plots of land for Public Hunting (important since much of KY is privately owned). We do indeed have huge Whitetail population, and the Wild Tukeys are well established. My avatar is a 5 1/2 yr old Buck taken with a muzzleloader in Trimble Co., his score of 159 1/2" missed the B&C book by .5", but I'm certainly not unhappy about that. We average 35-40 Bucks per year that score high enough for the Pope & Young/Boone & Crockett records. You can apply on line for many draw hunts at the WMAs on line for Deer for the measly price of $3. Another option is the Ft. Knox, Ft. Campbell, and Bluegrass Army Depot Reservations, but they have slightly more intense security protocols you have to satisfy.
Last, but not least, there are 800 Elk tags ($10 fee) drawn each year for the 10,000+ population roaming Eastern KY. I am not a native, but got here as soon as I could.
Welcome to KY!
Got-R-Did.

OnHoPr
09-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Aren't you gonna have to save one of those for turkey day.;)

koger
09-30-2015, 09:19 PM
The have both been deboned, and marinated, cut into finger sized strips and battered, fried in bear grease! It is so good it is illegal in some states!!! Had friends over the other day, good times, good eats with some of my hunting buddies.