PDA

View Full Version : There are still a few good gunshow finds......

Harry O
09-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Provided the owner does not know what he has, thinks it is something different, and priced it wrong.

merlin101
09-26-2015, 07:20 PM
So how much did you get it for?

Harry O
09-26-2015, 07:53 PM
He had $30 on each box (full, by the way). I offered to buy both for $50. He accepted it. This is the same guy who had $85 for a brick of .22LR. He thought these were the Colt version of the .32 S&W Long.

9.3X62AL
09-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Nice find, Harry. That you were able to skin a scalper adds a lot of satisfaction, I'm sure. Those 32 Colt cases and ammo are way scarce.

Harry O
09-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Nice find, Harry. That you were able to skin a scalper adds a lot of satisfaction, I'm sure. Those 32 Colt cases and ammo are way scarce.

They are way scarce. I finally got into shooting the .32 Long Colt after finding a 299155 mould pretty cheap a while back. I believe you and I talked about all the other .32's we both shot even before this board was created (way back to Shooters? I believe). I knew about the .32 Long Colt, but had never actually fired it (except once in a .32 S&W Long revolver).

Anyway, after finding the mould, I decided to add this one to the list of 32's. Ended up with two guns, some brass (part of it original, part of it homemade, and part of it .32 Short Colt) and another mould at considerably higher price. But, now I have enough of everything to do some experimenting and finding out what works and doesn't work with this cartridge.

oldfart1956
09-26-2015, 09:11 PM
I seem to find quite a few good deals at gun shows. Might have something to do with not treating the vendors like thieves? I'm just sayin' is all. A few of them know me by first name now and call me over to show me stuff. Recent deals; Lyman 45 $5, Lyman 450 $25, T/C Pa. Hunter excellent cond. $250. , a half-dozen Bianchi and De Santis holsters for $20 each in as new condition, various bullet molds from $10 to $20 (lymans and saeco) Lyman 55 powder measure $25 and loads of other stuff. Some of those fellers are just trying to make a living or at least supplement it. And no doubt there are some bad apples. Establish a good relationship with the good ones. Don't try to jew them down on everything. It pays. Audie...the Oldfart..

MrWolf
09-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Excellent find!

Mk42gunner
09-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Congratulations on the bargain find, Harry. I will echo Al's sentiments on skinning a scalper.

I keep my eyes open for any of the oddball calibers that I have accumulated over the years; with just enough luck to keep me going.

Robert

9.3X62AL
09-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Yes indeed, Harry. I managed to avoid the Colt-pattern outside-lubed-bullet cartridge designs by following advice given at a very young age by the older guys Dad and I hunted and shot with. Life is just better using inside-lubricated bullets. I was tempted at one time to try on a SAA in 41 Colt, but its decadent price snapped me out of the odd-caliber reverie I lapsed into briefly. $1900 in 2001 for a 90% example returned me to reality forthwith.

TXGunNut
09-27-2015, 01:18 AM
I seem to find quite a few good deals at gun shows. Might have something to do with not treating the vendors like thieves? I'm just sayin' is all. A few of them know me by first name now and call me over to show me stuff. Recent deals; Lyman 45 $5, Lyman 450 $25, T/C Pa. Hunter excellent cond. $250. , a half-dozen Bianchi and De Santis holsters for $20 each in as new condition, various bullet molds from $10 to $20 (lymans and saeco) Lyman 55 powder measure $25 and loads of other stuff. Some of those fellers are just trying to make a living or at least supplement it. And no doubt there are some bad apples. Establish a good relationship with the good ones. Don't try to jew them down on everything. It pays. Audie...the Oldfart..

Lots of wisdom in your post, Audie. Years ago gun shows were all about talking about guns and related items. It wasn't about making a living but the vendors have expenses to pay. Very much like the LGS, we need to develop relationships and support the ones that see it our way. Well done, my friend!

Harry O
09-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Al: I decided not to get into bottleneck pistol cartridges some time ago because of some advice from someone (I think it was you). It was "Friends don't let friends shoot bottleneck pistol cartridges." But, I was in the 41 Long Colt before that. Not getting into bottleneck pistol cartridges was not that much of a loss. I still have PLENTY of things to shoot to keep me busy.

As far as the people who think we need to "develop relationships" with thieves, and yada, yada, yada. I was most disappointed by the last, and the strongest, presidential shortages. I know by sight many dozens of gunshow vendor regulars. I have grown old looking at their faces (and they have grown old looking at me). ALL but 3 or 4 crossed out their prices as soon a the shortages started and raised them, sometimes double, sometimes triple, sometimes more than that.

The 3 or 4 that kept their prices unchanged quickly sold out. One of them continued coming to shows, but went to one table instead of the 3 tables he used to have. He did not have enough to fill them any more (even the one was pretty thin). But when he was able to restock, I have since bought two guns from him. I was also impressed by the places that did not increase prices on ammunition or reloading supplies. They limited quantities (which I can readily understand), but they did not gouge they buyer just because they could.

What was most funny to me is that many of the scalpers had stuff on their tables for a LONG time before the shortages started. I think some of them had been with the vendor longer than their kids had been. Then the shortages hit and they greatly increased the prices. Now that the shortages have (mostly) passed, they still have the same stuff on their tables and they have started slowly lowering the prices back towards where they were before the shortages (but as of now, they are still higher). They COMPLETELY missed out on sales from the shortages -- because of their own greed.

I guess relationships and honor are a two way street. The vast majority of the vendors I see many times every year failed that test during the shortages. I won't forget.

9.3X62AL
09-27-2015, 11:38 PM
I still run some of those bottleneck pistol rounds at rats and paper. I have successfully avoided the 357 SIG, though.

The ammo/component shortages of the past decade have been educational in the extreme. The jewels and the jerks among the retailers and table vendors got an opportunity to verify their statuses with the customer base, as did the manufacturers. I absorbed the lessons, and won't forget their content.