PDA

View Full Version : couple new ones

Lloyd Smale
04-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Just made swap with boge quinn. He wanted my 41 special in the worse way and to be honest a rarely shot it. I swaped him for a like new 45 colt new vaquero blued with a 4 5/8s barrel and a 44 bisley vaquero stainless. The new vaquero will no doubt be a project gun but the old one is going to be a shooter. Ive had 3 other 44 bis. vaqs. in the past and ended up making them all into customs of a differnt caliber. I allways wanted one just for a 44 mag and this one will stay stock. It may get either a drift front sight or a smith adustable rear but other then that it will be stock. Other then an action job it will be stock. Well maybe a belt mountain pin. thats it! Well id probably take the warning off the barrel. then it probably would need a set of nice grips to set it off. Then ill leave it alone ;) The small framed vaquero will be a custom 5 shot gun. I havent yet really decided what caliber but have some neat ideas. It will be customized though unlike the stock bilsey ;)

dubber123
04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
You actually had me going for a minute with the "stock gun" bit. Turned out about how I figured though...

danski26
04-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a good deal!

EDK
04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
The BISLEY VAQUERO(5.5 inch, of course.) in 44 magnum is my favorite. I have a pair in stainless with stags from stag-grips.com (good guy who sells on gunbroker and has a shop in Sheridan WY) and a blue/cc stocker. They're just about perfect BUT the triggers still need some work...and I need better sights...wider and black! "Getting old is not for sissies!"

Question for you: I've got a blue/cc 44 in 4 5/8. 2 Dogs sold me a 5.5 inch replacement barrel. The gun is going to ALPHA PRECISION for barrel change, trigger job and grip frame fitting. I have a HUNTER grip frame on it now, but I have all the parts it needs to become a BISLEY. Same cost either way. It's almost a coin toss now....what would you guys suggest...either way it will be a favorite after Mr. Stroh works his magic!

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

Lloyd Smale
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
id leave the hunter on it and sell me the bisley frame at a real reasonable price.

EDK
04-06-2008, 11:11 PM
2 Dogs would be proud of you!

You ought to trade that BISLEY VAQUERO to ME for the NIB 44 ACCU SPORT setting in my safe....about $100 boot to cover my exorbitant shipping costs and a couple bucks for another mould!

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2008, 06:39 AM
ive got a 44 accusport allready. You wouldnt pry it out of my hands for any ammount of money. its the most accurate out of the box ruger ive ever owned. I took it to the linebaugh seminar a few years ago and won the 44 class at the long range shoot with it. Steal 3/4 sized bufflalo at 800 yards. 4 out of 5 hits and one near miss. Its basiscaly stock other then scrimshawed micra grips an action job a belt mountain pin a bowen target rear sight and a clements post front. get that dammed thing out of the safe and blow the cob webs off of it. You have one of the best all around hunting handguns ever made and its a dirty crime to keep it locked up in jail.

EDK
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
The 44 ACCU SPORT is in the safe yet for a couple of reasons. (But not too much longer!)

I got interested in Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS about the time they got discontinued. I bought a bunch in 357 and 44...took all my gun money from overtime, tax returns, etc. for awhile. I bought/traded for DRAGOON/HUNTER grip frames for them; otherwise no custom work for quite awhile.

Jim Stroh at ALPHA PRECISION converted two 5.5 inch stainless 44 SUPER BLACKHAWKS to BISLEYS while doing his usual superb trigger/action work. The two "ACCU SPORT WANNA-BES" and a pair of DRAGOON grip frame guns are what I've shot for a few years...until I started shooting the various VAQUEROS lately. I took one of each pair of the tuned guns out over the week end and renewed my appreciation for the work of the BEST PISTOLSMITH in the country...those stock triggers are pretty poor! The untuned "suit case full of guns" are going to ALPHA PRECISION shortly. I made a deposit for the work and I'm on the list.

Your modifications are dead on. A trigger/action job plus custom grips is a good place to start. One DRAGOON was rebuilt with a custom base pin, etc plus a BOWEN rear sight; I'd like it on the others too!

(I've tried to put this together, but I'm not much of a writer. I agree with Lloyd most of the time, but I like to get him "inspired!")