PDA

View Full Version : Wads for 12ga Magtech Brass

milrifle
09-25-2015, 08:36 PM
I just bought some 12ga Magtech brass shells and wads. The website said to order wads 2 sizes larger than the gauge you are loading, so I bought 10ga wads. I liked the fit of the over shot card, and I think I can live with the cushion wad, but the over powder wad is a TIGHT fit. I mean TIGHT! It's so tight I was afraid the air I was compressing in the shell was going to push it back out. I'm new to this black powder shotgun business. Should this thing be that tight, or should I order some 11ga over powder wads?

danomano
09-25-2015, 11:33 PM
There are several sources for info.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com
or
https://www.precisionreloading.com

I am not at home so I can't check what I have been using but I think you are correct.

milrifle
09-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks Danomano. Sorry it took so long for me to get back. The ballisticproducts site looks to confirm my suspicions. They show 10 gauge over shot cards, but 11ga cushion and over powder wads for 12ga Magtech brass.

I only bought one box of brass just to make sure this old SxS was going to work right. When I order more, I think I'll get some different over powder wads.

cajun shooter
09-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Use Circle Fly wads and if you call him the guy is loaded with shotgun info as he has been at it for over 30 years or more. I use the 11 gauge wads myself in the brass cases when I loaded them. Just remember that you may cut the filler and lube wads to the length you need to fill the hull to the proper height. I use the heavy overpowder wads and use the thinner wads for the overshot.
You also only need to fill the brass hull to the load you need. It does not require that you fill each hull to the top as it takes more wads and powder-shot combos to do this. My loads are about 5/16 ths or more below the rim. After you have put all of your componets into the hull, you may seal it several ways. There are several people who will say to use water glass (sodium silicate) to seal the overshot wad. I prefer to use a small glue gun which maybe purchased at several places like Walley World, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and so on. The small gun is easy to fit into tight places and after just a little practice you will be able to lay a layer of glue that looks like a welding bead. It's all blown out on firing.
I've been loading and shooting BP shotgun hulls for many years and use them in shooting the SASS matches. If you ever decide to load BP in plastic hulls, contact me for some help if you need it. I roll crimp my plastic hulls for that original look. Later David

milrifle
09-27-2015, 07:53 PM
David,

Do you shoot them in a SxS? I had read on some website (Don't remember where now) that the water glass as well as hot glue did not hold up to the recoil from the first shot. This guy was recommending Duco Cement, but said it was getting hard to find. If the hot glue will do the job, I'd just as soon do that. I can find that anywhere. My wife has a glue gun somewhere but couldn't find it the other day and borrowed one for something she was working on, so it's time to buy another one anyway.

cajun shooter
10-13-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry for taking so long to answer but between illness and my laptop taking a dump, I've been out of touch. I don't know who that person is but he is full of it. I've loaded the brass hulls for many years(2007) and used the glue guns with very good results.
I use them in a SXS TNN and have never had a failure. I also have other shooters that I have converted and they are all very happy. Use the small glue gun that may be purchased from Hobby Lobby. It is very easy with that size glue gun to lay in a great bead.
The brass hulls should not be loaded all the way to the top of the case as they will hold 60 grains of 2F and 1 1/8 ounce of shot and still be well below the top of the case. This is how I load mine. Later David

milrifle
10-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks David. I'm gonna give that a try. I did find some DUCO and loaded my first 25 rounds with that. I haven't fired them yet. I'll do the hot glue next time 'round.

toot
10-18-2015, 10:24 AM
I use ELMERS WHITE GLUE with no problem sealing them. the second one don't come apart after the first one is shot.