PDA

View Full Version : tarus tell me about taurus are they good or bad some good some bad ??

edadmartin
09-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Well pricing says Taurus is probably .I don't always see it that way what do you guy who work on them know ?

jcren
09-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Don't work on them, but own 2 of them. The 85 38 special had a rough cone and a bad crown. A little love and it shoots better than I ever thought a snub could. The 45 27/7 is a typical "carry" gun, average accuracy, good reliability and high capacity.

oldfart1956
09-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Not sure which model you are interested in but try this: go to Google and type in "problem with Taurus Model XXX" and see what pops up. Also keep in mind Taurus isn't going to sell you any parts. Lawyer reasons I assume. I have the PT-1911. Very happy with it but it had some issue needing corrected but for $399 it was a good deal. Somebody went knutz with the dremel on the feed area of the barrel (not the frame) and the series 80 parts gave me some issue. Audie...the Oldfart

Mk42gunner
09-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Probably some good, some bad.

I have not been impressed with the few Taurus handguns I have seen in the last fifteen years or so.

Robert

El Bango
09-26-2015, 01:47 AM
Some seem to be a little more prone to fail. The tolerances are not as close as they should be for optimum accuracy. Not finished as well as some better known brands, though some of the better known brands are also suffering from a lack of quality control.

opos
09-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Got a number of handguns...some pricey ones and some more "budget" ...I have a Taurus pt92AFS (polished "pimp gun") in 9mm and it's one of the most reliable and accurate and consistant shooters I've ever owned...I shoot it a lot and it has never mis fed, mis fired or mis extracted ...big pistol fit's my hands great and is a pleasure to shoot...I love CZ's and have several...my Taurus shoots as well or better.149772

nagantguy
09-26-2015, 08:30 AM
At the Academy where I work nights and weekends teaching and being taught the martial art of the handgun, there have been several Taurus hand guns both brought into class and bought to have on hand to test/abuse/ lend if someone's pistol fails. I haven't seen anything about the few different models I've played with that would make turn my nose up at them. If purchased for ECD or as a "nightstand gun" once tested and proven reliable after a few hundred rounds than I'd say you were as well armed as the guy with a sig. Test,test test any arm your going to stake your life on regardless of price.

bedbugbilly
09-26-2015, 09:10 AM
I've never owned one and probably never will . . I have too many handguns as it is. LOL

You hear and read a lot of "bad" and by the same token, read and hear a lot about the "good" from those that like theirs that they own and shoot.

Most of my handguns (revolvers) that I've purchased have been "vintage" - Smiths, Colts, etc. One of the main things that I do take into consideration when purchasing a handgun though is the reputation of the maker's customer service . . should it ever need to be used. I say that because in some of the threads I've read on Taurus is that their customer service is less than stellar . . . but that's based on what's been posted . . no personal experience on my part. So when considering any brand . . . including Taurus . . . besides looking for posts on "problems" . . . check on what folks think about their customer service as well. I've been very fortunate . . . for new handguns I've purchased over the years, I've never had to send one back regardless of the brand. But, any make can have a problem as we all know. So the CS is something to take in to consideration as well.

Petrol & Powder
09-26-2015, 09:53 AM
I've played with my fair share of Taurus guns and I think my experience reflects the common thread concerning Taurus guns; Some good and some bad. The one Taurus model that seems to have the best track record is the model 85. I've seen a lot of those little snub nose revolvers used and abused that just keep chugging along year after year.

Unfortunately for every decent Taurus I've come across, I've seen/shot/repaired an equal number that were junk. Their quality appears to be hit or miss. An acquaintance of mine purchased a new Taurus 9mm pistol that will not hit the broadside of a barn even if you are standing inside the barn.
I will not condemn Taurus across the board, I've have seen some Taurus products that were good values (the previously mentioned model 85 being one). However, I refuse to take the risk with Taurus anymore. There are so many other affordable options on the market that there is no reason to take the chance on finding a good Taurus.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-26-2015, 10:12 AM
I have 4 Taurus handguns, all revolvers. Two stainless M-85 .38's, one stainless 44 Spec., one blue M-96 .22 L.R. All were purchased in the mid-late 1980s, and all are excellent. But I have to confine my praise to that time period, as I've not bought or used one made since then.

jmort
09-26-2015, 10:15 AM
I have had two Taurus revolvers. One was great and one was really bad and how it got out of the factory should be a crime. Too many other options for me to try another Taurus.

lightload
09-26-2015, 10:26 AM
A nice way to say is this: Taurus has too much variation in quality control. My opinion--and not so nice--is that they know better and could do better but choose the low road to make more money. I found this out the hard way. The revolver line is worse than the semi-auto line, which ain't good either.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Honestly I have fired only about 3 Taurus handguns and handled maybe a total of 10-12. Some work, some don't. None of them impressed me or made me go, "wow, that is nice." The guns that do work are a good deal, but I would never buy a Taurus without being able to first shoot it. That being said I own zero Taurus guns at this time because a used S&W or Glock always seems to present it self at or under what a new Taurus sells for.

wrench man
09-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Two Taurus Revolvers (Raging Bull and Gaucho) and one Rossi rifle (62SA), I will NEVER! own another Brazilian made firearm ever again.

runfiverun
09-26-2015, 10:28 PM
rossi's i like.
Taurus sucks, I'd rather have a hi-point.

sparky45
09-26-2015, 11:17 PM
I have a Taurus Pt 1911 and it handles, fires, and is as accurate as my SR1911. It's by far my go to fun gun.

waksupi
09-26-2015, 11:22 PM
rossi's i like.
Taurus sucks, I'd rather have a hi-point.
After spending the afternoon of shooting the bejeebers out of my Hipoint, that is the way to go. One misfeed caused by short seating the magazine. Accuracy was good enough to hit empty shotgun shells at fifteen yards with pleasing regularity. The more I shoot it, the more impressed I am.

bangerjim
09-26-2015, 11:37 PM
I have a few Tauri...................all perform to my needs! 2 revolvers and one long gun. Never any of the problems people seem to moan about. And have shot a few of my buddies ones also with no noticeable problems.

"Pay yer money......take yer chances." I have no complaints with my OLDER models. But quality of new ones seems to vary some from what I have seen with other peoples' NEW generation guns.

Some on here tend to complain about a name....even if they have never owned one.

banger

Wayne Smith
09-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Best friend's son, and our son's brother in law, had a Taurus 44Mag. He brought it to me to look at because it would not index. I know how to take the cylinder out of a Smith and a Colt, but don't know all the nomenclature. Anyway, the rod that holds the cylinder in, that is a two piece rod screwed together in the American made revolvers, was a two piece rod pressed together in this one. Yeah, cheapened design. Never will I buy one.

Tenbender
09-27-2015, 08:05 PM
I have a mod. 85 Ultra Lite stainless. It is exactly like a S&W mod. 60 or 36. Good trigger and shoots great.

funnyjim014
09-27-2015, 08:26 PM
My first center fire pistol is a pt1911. I have shot it a tone with both lead and factory fmj. Never a problem with factory ammo. Trigger feels just my friends smith. 100% satisfied. But its a 1911 ..... all the engineering was done for them...i dont know if i would buy rev, think i would just pony up and get a smith

DLCTEX
09-27-2015, 10:08 PM
I have owned three Tarus pistols. The model 85 was very good and lost the crane retainer screw after several years. Tarus sold me a new one and were helpful when called. The others are not for sale! They are a Raging Bull in 480 River, and a Raging Hornet in 22 Hornet. The Raging Bull shoots extremely well at long range. The Hornet shoots get well.

mjwcaster
09-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Look into magazine availability.
Taurus 738 TCP magazines were non-existant for several years, they did have a production run earlier this year, pre-orders sold out instantly, not sure of status as of now.

So you buy a gun to save money and then cannot get magazines, or have to pay $50-$60 on Ebay to get one.
For a $200-$250 gun.

Not saving much money there.

And the quality of the mags that I have leave a lot to be desired.

Taurus could make great guns, they have some decent designs.
But as has been said their quality seems to be hit or miss.

I only bought mine because it was cheap, came with 2 mags (I knew of the magazine availability issues), and was local, in town.
I wanted something that I could play bubba-gunsmith with and not worry about destroying a quality gun.

Stronger magazine springs would overcome some of the issues with the magazine (bad follower tilt due to oversized mag body/undersized follower) and fix the last round feeding issues I have with truncated cone ammo.
Stretching the mag springs does work, for a while.

Also the TCP suffers from a design flaw (IMO) of being able to drop the hammer from half reset.
What I mean is that you fire the gun, holding the trigger back, release the trigger slowly and hear it reset. Then pull the trigger, the hammer will drop, but it wasn't fully reset, so it does not have enough power to fire.
You now need to rack the slide and eject the unfired round to reset the trigger.

The trigger needs to be fully released to fully reset.
This is an issue if you train to reset shoot with striker fired guns.
In rapid fire I have failed to release the trigger fully, causing this failure.

I have seen a fix for this issue, but it involves gunsmithing well beyond my current abilities or desire.

At least most parts are available for the TCP, I just wished that they published true shipping rates.
They listed a high shipping rate, so I ordered a ton of parts to compensate, not wanting to have to pay $8-$10 shipping for just one $2 part.

When I received the order and looked at the invoice, actual shipping was fairly cheap.

So while this is my only taurus, I have know plenty of other owners and things are hit and miss, some have great tauruses and love them other have problem children and will never buy another one again.

I wish that Taurus would step up their quality a little more, even if they cost a little more they could be great guns.
Until they do, my personal recommendation is to pay a little more or wait for a used gun at taurus prices, unless you like gambling on quality.
Who knows you may be lucky and get a great gun.

Geezer in NH
09-28-2015, 06:09 PM
I have a Taurus Pt 1911 and it handles, fires, and is as accurate as my SR1911. It's by far my go to fun gun.
IMHO you hit the lottery

Geezer in NH
09-28-2015, 06:12 PM
When I owned a shop Taurus was the worst to deal with for factory screw-ups. Several revolvers with front sights 20+ degrees off. Sent back and they came back the same as in the gun was NOT TOUCHED. Stopped selling them after 8 guns were the same.

You get what you pay for.

Menner
09-28-2015, 09:24 PM
I have a Taurus PT740 slim Have had Zero issues with it have shot a number of carry weight 40 S&W and I like feel and the way it handles the 40 S&W well. I have shot factory ammo through it and I cast a Erik hollow pointed 175 Boolit I have been very happy this is the only Taurus I have owned but I am happy so far
Tony