PDA

View Full Version : Need help with LBT Mold Prep and Use Instructions

1950Hudson
09-25-2015, 07:31 PM
Got a couple of LBT molds from Veral a while back. Now that the garage is cool enough to cast, I want to start using them but I've misplaced the instructions. (When I opened the package and admired them, the molds got put in one place and the instructions and mold lube, if there was some, got put in a different place. Then the piles got, uh, moved a couple of times.)

I've looked through the archives here but my search only finds references to "Veral's excellent instructions," not the actual words I need.

Anybody have a copy that can tell me what it says?

Or at least describe it to me so I know what I'm looking for in my "piles."

Thanks!

Bigslug
09-25-2015, 09:36 PM
don't have instructions handy, but Veral's pretty straightforward about use.

He's of the pre-heat by dipping a corner in the melt for 20-30 seconds school.

Make sure your sprue-plate whacker is striking perpendicular to the top edge of the blocks (you won't need it long after the mold warms up)

Dab the mold lube stick on the alignment pins and sprue plate hinge early on - like as soon as it's hot.

runfiverun
09-25-2015, 10:10 PM
well IMO the best thing that could happen is you lost the mold lube.
now.. you gotta think about it a little bit.

the lube should just go on the alignment pins and maybe a smear on top of the mold.
I'd add the lube on top with a Q-tip and be very careful to do so with a freshly cut boolit in the cavity's, it's only there to stop a smear from sticking to the mold if you happen to cut the plate open too soon.

if it's mold prep type stuff to put in the cavity's I'd leave it lost, and use something else [like anti-sieze or synthetic 2 stroke oil]

Mitch
09-26-2015, 06:42 PM
when the mold is new be sure it is closed every cast the lbt molds are very tight when new veral explains this in the instructions. once the mold breaks in abit 100 to 200 casts itcloses great.i don't like the lube stick that comes with the mold seems to migrate very fast.i use 2 cycle oil on mine seem to have better luck with it.

melloairman
09-26-2015, 10:42 PM
He does not recommend cleaning the mold before use either .Marvin

Tatume
09-27-2015, 07:42 AM
The little stick of lube is for the alignment pins. It works very well. It appears to be LBT Blue bullet lube mixed with graphite. When they get completely dry, the mold halves will stick when you open them. This is when to apply the lube. Just the tiniest touch to each of the alignment pins is all it takes, and no more. The mold will then open easily for many hundreds of cycles.

Tatume
09-27-2015, 07:45 AM
He does not recommend cleaning the mold before use either .Marvin

Veral is wrong on this one. I tried using a new LBT mold without cleaning, thinking the residual oil would burn away. It didn't. I finally let it cool, washed it thoroughly with Dawn for Dishes, and it started dropping nice, wrinkle free bullets after that.

44man
09-27-2015, 08:16 AM
As said, wash with dawn and a touch of lube on pins. Mine cast perfect right off.