PDA

View Full Version : 1 st range lead

propwashp47
09-25-2015, 11:07 AM
I am going to pick up my 1 st buckets of range lead to day. the range owner said 150 to 200 lbs per bucket. 1 am hoping to get a 75% yield after smelting. indoor range with rubber belting. wish me luck. don Richardson

Beagle333
09-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

dilly
09-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Unless you get a LOT of rubber I would expect closer to 85%+ yield, by weight.

That is based off my hand picked dirt mining.

Don't forget to stretch. Maybe bring a dolly if your are using five gallon buckets. You can buy a lot of lead for the cost of a back surgery.

OverMax
09-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Be watchful for live ammo mixed in. 50' Indoor range lead especially so.

WHITETAIL
09-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Nice job!
I saw on this board that
someone else had gotten indoor
lead. what he did to get the rubber
out.
Was to add water and a lot of salt.
This made the rubber float.
Do a search on it.:coffeecom

lightman
09-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Good Luck! I bet you get more yield than you think. Consider smelting it in a covered pot. Live ammo sometimes finds its way into range scrap.

40-82 hiker
10-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Be watchful for live ammo mixed in. 50' Indoor range lead especially so.

OverMax is right! I often find a live round or two when I go through my range lead from outdoor berms, and some of them are not even duds (sic, no primer strike). The live rounds really concern me.

Nose Dive
10-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Porpwashp47.....

I do the range scrap thing too. Alot... I ALWAYS.... spread it ALL OUT on the drive way to inspect the 'stuff'... yes...LIVE ROUNDS do get found! And it is a pain in the but, but it allows you to SEE what you have. I always have a ball peen hammer with me and smash all jacketed boolits. Why? 'it's fun!" and I think it helps them smelt faster. who knows?

I water wash it ALL with the garden hoze. WATER,,,plenty of it. washes out the dirt, cigarrette butts, rubber, tooth picks,,etc..etc.

I let it set overnight. (my driveway is on an angle) I smelt the whole mess the next day.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS operation as water in the smelt pot is a BAD THING...it has a tendency to turn to steam and blow the smelt all over the place. On the car, on the concrete,,,AND ON YOU! So my friend.....

1. leather gloves, face shield, leather apron with sleeves, leather boots, safety glasses.
2. put sawdust flux in bottom of the pot then fill pot with smelt material
3. light off fire on pot on VERY LOW FLAME
4. wait 10 minutes, stir...you should not have anything melted at this low temp
5. go up a little on the flame
6. wait 8 to 10 minutes...add more sawdust...stir
7. go up a little on the flame, add more sawdust...stir...
8. wait 8 to 10 minutes...add more sawdust...stir
9. go up a little on the flame, add more sawdust...stir...
10. buy now you should see some melted lead...be careful here Sawdust...stir....
11. you should hear a little gurrgling and pooping...that is the water steaming off
12..by now, you are 30 or 40 minutes or so into you smelting operation...you should see alot of melted material, scrap dross and jackets
13. Flux, mix, scrape off dross.
14. Flux, mix, scrape off dross
15. by now the smelt should be all melted and you can complete removing the dross, jackets, clips, etc....SLOWLY...
16. now the mix is melted, you have scrapped the bottom and sides of the pot and no further contaminates are in the smelt.
17. complete fluxing, mixing, scrapping and scooping out corruption.
18. come to desired temp...flux, mix, scrape out dross
19. Pour out ingots!

I always finish my smelts with wax. I have convinced myself it helps. It may not. I grabbed 10 wax toilet seals from a demo site some time back and I just toss one of those lovely little cookies in at the end of my smelting and stir. I always get just a bit more dross. (and be AWARE...there my be some water in the wax! KAABOOOM!)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon13.png

BUT..NEVER...EVER..EVER... ADD MORE SMELT MATERIAL TO YOUR POT ONCE THE FIRE IS FIRST LIT. NEVER. YOUR CONCOCTING A BOMB.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon8.png

Just go SLOW...flux...stir...safety gear....range scrap can make some pretty nice alloy. It takes a bit more time, but, well, I get it for free and I enjoy smelting.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon7.png

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.