PDA

View Full Version : Collecting info on 45-70 molds

Motard
09-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Just starte casting and I'd like to collect info about the three molds I have for my leverguns at the moment.
Lyman 2640643 (dDon Shay design) 400 gr single cavity
Lee hollow base 405 gr
Ranch Dog Design TLC 460-425-rf Gas Ceck, Lee made, 6 cavity aluminium.
I have better experience with the Lyman than with the Lee HB (probably I need to speed up process casting on aluminium molds)
The Ranch Dog mold I have just bought it brand new over web auction. Is mint, unused, but probably will be resold because I am not shure I whant to start bothering with gas check and six cavity casting.
Just like to ear opinion from you expert
I try to stay under 1400 fps with my charges and this give me good accuracy and enaught punch.
Ps both Lyman and Lee Hb are casting .459 dia.

John Boy
09-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Here's a page of Pb 45-70 reloading data. Match the bullet weight data to your molds and then you have multiple choices based on the powder in your inventory ... http://www.reloadammo.com/4570load.htm
Good Luck

tinhorn97062
09-25-2015, 01:16 PM
IMR 3031 around ~40grains should put you right in your target velocity with the 400'ish weight class.

Motard
09-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Hallo I have jet tested boolits

Motard
09-25-2015, 02:44 PM
With Viht n130. Very good consistency. I'd like to understand better diff between this molds

Motard
09-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Viht N 130 37gr ftx case. The upper flyer is a "cleaning" fmj round. 149735

Motard
09-30-2015, 10:42 AM
150126Need help from experienced casters Cause I could'nt find any info about the Don Shay Lyman Mould I jet have on line, nor a pics of a full cased round. If I am right: the two boolits on bottom that have (lightly) rounded edges in the PB and have to be discarded. The one on top is ok (sharp edge base) but need refilling one of the lube grove? Correct? I am just wondering what does the fourth' tapered grove is mean to do? Crimping "in it" may be? Thanks for helping

tinhorn97062
09-30-2015, 10:52 AM
150126Need help from experienced casters Cause I could'nt find any info about the Don Shay Lyman Mould I jet have on line, nor a pics of a full cased round. If I am right: the two boolits on bottom that have (lightly) rounded edges in the PB and have to be discarded. The one on top is ok (sharp edge base) but need refilling one of the lube grove? Correct? I am just wondering what does the fourth' tapered grove is mean to do? Crimping "in it" may be? Thanks for helping

I wouldn't call myself an "experienced caster", but maybe I can help a little. It looks to me like your mold/lead is not hot enough and you're not getting good fill in the cavities. Try cranking up the lead temp a little, and/or heating your mold a bit more. I'm not sure if the two grooves of lube would be enough- you may run out of lube and see some leading. I generally fill all of the lube grooves in my boolits and it seems to work fine for me.

In that design, there are three lube grooves (from the bottom up) and then a tapered crimp groove that should put you at a proper OAL for a Marlin. I'm not positive what the upper most groove is for, but I've been told that it's a secondary crimp groove for those who want a different OAL. Somebody else may be able to offer more help with that.

Motard
10-01-2015, 02:51 AM
seems all logical. thankyou :-)

Sent from my C6903 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.