PDA

View Full Version : Lee case lube as tumble lube

Stoats
09-25-2015, 02:53 AM
I noticed that Magtech 38 spl wadcutters (as sold for reloading) are tumble-lubed in something white and waxy that looks and feels suspiciously like Lee case lube, which I have a ton of since Lee sent me a box of it instead of a single tube a while back.

Anyone tried it as bullet lube?

I put some on some boolits with my fingers last night and I'll try them when I get the chance, but if someone's already done it and knows if it works I can save myself the effort.

Cowboy_Dan
09-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Not exactly as a boolit lube, but I do use it as a lube when I slug my barrels. The slug comes out still slick, and it is water soluable so it just rinses off.

country gent
09-26-2015, 10:30 AM
I used it years ago on cast bullets as a pre coat then sized and lubed after it had dried. It coated the nose riding area of the bullet and left a filmn on the front driving band. It is water souluable and clens up easily. Another plus is it lubes the sizer die when working.

country gent
09-26-2015, 10:32 AM
I have also mixed 2 parts water to 1 part Lee die wax and used it to wet and lube paper patches.

Stoats
09-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Well, we'll hopefully try it this afternoon. 12 .38 S&W, undersize Lyman 120-ish-gn 9mm TC's pushed by 2 grains of Bullseye.

Stoats
09-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Fired 12 shots. Did it work as lube? Yes.

Did it entirely eliminate leading with the undersize bullet? No. There was a whisp of it just ahead of the forcing cone, but a bronze brush took it right out.

I'll try again with a bullet that fits, and report back.

Stoats
09-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Further to last: I just slugged my Colt, and in fact the bullet was not undersized at all.

So the answer to the question is "Not well enough with that bullet". Perhaps a microgroove bullet would do better?