PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Uberti Single Action

terryt
09-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Hi:

I picked up an Uberti Single Action at the LGS today. It came with 2 boxes ofammo.

One is Remington Factory with jacked boolits and on the box it says HighVelocity.

The other box is Winchester Factory ammo and it does not say high velocity onthe box. Both are 200 gr. jacketed boolits.

Is it safe or wise to shot either of these in the Uberti Single Action?
The Uberti is in excellent shape and looks as it has beenshot very little.

The hammer does not go all the way forward like the original colts do.
Is this a safety feature so you can load it with 6 rounds?

Thanks,

Terryt

lar45
09-24-2015, 11:05 PM
What caliber?

Desertbuck
09-25-2015, 01:34 AM
The cylinder retaining pin acts as a modern safety to prevent the hammer from going all the way forward. Push the cylinder retaining pins release button and move it one notch forward. There is also a safety position that holds the hammer in that exact position where the hammer is being held back by the retaining pin. That's your safety position for carrying with all 6 chambers loaded.
But many still use the carry with five chambers loaded while the hammer rests on an empty chamber. I've carried with all 6 chambers loaded while using the safety notch with no problems I hardly ever use the retaining pin safety.

As for the ammo. If you're pistol is a 45 colt and as long as you use nothing that says + P you'll be fine. Enjoy your pistol there's no feel quite like an old Colt Single Action.
Had my Uberti since 2007 it is a 45 colt and I absolutely love it.

bedbugbilly
09-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Just in case this is your first SAA . . . if you pull back on your hammer for the first or second click . . you should have four total clicks when pulling back from when the hammer is all the way down . . . . before lowering the hammer again, you should cock it all the way back (which will fully rotate the cylinder one chamber) and then lower the hammer. This is the proper way to work the action on a Colt or Colt clone. This allows the action to go through full cycle and prevents the cylinder lock from dragging on the cylinder. Hope I've explained that clearly?

When you load . . . insert one round . . skip a chamber and then load 4 rounds. This will give you 5 rounds in the cylinder and time it so when you drop the 5th round in and then lower the hammer (after cocking back all the way and then lowering) . . . it will be lowered on the empty chamber that has rotated to be in line with the barrel.

The others have already covered how the cylinder pin is designed to be a "safety" when fully pushed in. Personally, I never use the pin in that manner. I leave it extended out into the second groove of the pin . . . and always carry on an empty chamber whether at the range or carrying in woods.

I have a Uberti 357 Bisley and just got a Uberti 7 1/2" Cattleman in 45 Colt. My '51 Navy that I've shot for years is also a Uberti. Great quality and I have absolutely no complaints on any of them. They are all great shooters!

Good luck with your new SA and have fun! SA shooting will put a big smile on your face . . and if you reload . . . you really need to load up some BP cartridges for it . . . that will really put a smile on your face!

terryt
09-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Bump to top

9.3X62AL
09-25-2015, 06:04 PM
"200 grain jacketed bullets" sounds most likely a descriptor for 44-40 WCF ammunition. It is good to be cautious with arms chambered in this caliber, ammo makers in years past made two loading levels for the 44-40 WCF........an 1873-level loading for Colt SAA revolvers and Win '73 long arms, and a high-pressure version suited only for Win 92 and Marlin 94 usage. If unsure about what ammo type you have--and assuming it is factory-loaded--a call or E-mail to that maker with the ammo's lot number or other specific identifiers would be the careful approach.

bedbugbilly
09-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Terry . . . 9.3X62AL raises and makes a very good point.

What caliber is it?

Not doubting that you ended up with two boxes of ammo . . . but just curious. How? Did they throw it in with the deal, did you select it or did it come with the pistol when it was traded in and they just left it as "part of the package"?

Most of the smaller LGS I deal with "might" throw in a box of ammo as an incentive to buy if the profit margin was such that they can in order to move the pistol and make the sale. Most though, would keep the full boxes of ammo and put it out on the shelf . . . .if it came as part of the trade in . . . just that much more profit for them even if they "discount" it for a worn box, etc.

To get a "definitive answer" . . . call Uberti and talk with them and see what they say. And, if you didn't get the manual with it, go to Uberti's site and download one - it may not give a definite answer, but it will familiarize you with your new revolver.

Good luck and enjoy!

9.3X62AL
09-25-2015, 06:57 PM
I have owned 2 Uberti Cattleman revolver over the years, both 4-3/4" barreled--a 45 Colt I got 20-odd years ago and a 44-40 made in 2013. Both were excellent revolvers, and did credit to the Colts they copied so faithfully. I don't see a significant difference between the originals and these Italian knock-offs.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-25-2015, 11:23 PM
I just sawed the end off the base pins of my Uberti's and touched up the job with a file.

5 beans in the wheel is the only way to go. Load one - leave one - load four, cock the hammer all the way back, let it down, look and confirm an empty chamber under the firing pin.

As long as the cartridges match the caliber of the gun, I'd shoot them. Then reload the brass with lead boolits and repeat.