PDA

View Full Version : The Argent

KCSO
04-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I picked up a cute little 1891 carbine/rifle. The guy I got it from called it an Argent as the ine got cut off. The barrel was shortened to 22" and the nose cap remodeled and moved back and the bolt turned down. It looks just like the carbine but with a 4" longer barrel. The bore is like new and it is a sweet shooter with cast bullets both the soup cans and the Lee 7.62x39 bullet.

Scrounger
04-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Doesn't Argent also refer to silver?

Nueces
04-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Argentine?

C1PNR
04-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Are you shooting cast out of it already? I must admit the longer barrel, plus the turned down bolt handle, would appeal to me.

The only '91 I've got is an 18" that I think is the Cavalry model, but I don't know for sure. I have some surplus ammunition, but I haven't fired it yet, almost afraid of the recoil & blast from that short barrel.:-?

I REALLY need to load some cast for it!:roll:

KCSO
04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
My family is into Argentine rifles and I have been shooting them with cast for years this is just a new addition. We currently have 6 or 7 between us and they all preform well with cast. The carbine with the 18" tube would be prime for a cast gun as with the military load the muzzle blast is daunting. I use 12.5 of Red Dot for the hevier slugs and 6 grains of Unique with the soup cans and the loads are nice and quiet. On a really good day with my peep sighted Argie (sorry Charlie) I have kept 5 shots in 1 1/2" with the Red Dot load.