PDA

View Full Version : Pouring HOT 50/50 lube into a Lyman 450 sizer

243winxb
09-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Have you poured hot melted 120 degree 50/50 bees wax/alox lube into your Lyman 450/4500 sizer? Is this safe to do? Will it damage anything ? Thank you.

country gent
09-24-2015, 10:56 PM
I fill the lube pump on my mecham sizer with melted spg. Use a container with a spout and pour carefully. any spills fill every thing pores in casting wood grains ect ect. A funnel might be handy if you can get it around the sizers handle. It works and has been being done for a long time. One drawback is the cooling time after filling the sizer to where it is back to the consistancy needed to work thru the sizer properly.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Yep it's safe to do.
I store some of my homemade lubes in pint canning jars, I heat them double boiler style and pour directly in a lubesizer. NOW the helpful hint, that I learned the hard way: They are easy to pour, if they are half full...and it's scary easy to spill if the jar is near full. SO, I never ever fill a jar more than half full. YMMV

swamp
09-24-2015, 11:30 PM
I picked up a small electric coffee pot at the ARC store. One mostly used to heat water. I use that to melt my lube and pour into the sizer. Had to make a temp control for it. Too hot otherwise.
swamp

fryboy
09-25-2015, 12:26 AM
just let it cool and harden before using, some guys do it after a session so that it'll be ready for the next one ;)

Dale53
09-25-2015, 12:33 AM
I picked up a tip several years ago from Pat and Spence Wolf's book on loading cartridges for the Trapdoor Springfield. Get a coffee warmer (the ordinary cup warmer for your desk) and I put an aluminum measuring cup on it. It doesn't get really hot and it's safe to leave it on for an extended period. When using the Star, RCBS, or Lyman sizers and homemade lube, you can fill the cup with pieces and let it melt. I always refill my sizer after using so it's always ready for the next time. While you are sizing bullets, let the cup warmer be heating up and melting the lube. When you finish (or run out) just pour it in the sizer. Do NOT overfill your sizer. You have to leave room for the piston, etc.

These days, except for black powder lube (I use Emmert's home mix) I use Lar's White label lube and no longer make my own (White Label lube comes in sticks and is so reasonably priced that I no longer make my own lube).

FWIW
Dale53

Mk42gunner
09-25-2015, 12:52 AM
just let it cool and harden before using, some guys do it after a session so that it'll be ready for the next one ;)
That is the way that I do it with mine. By the time I have used up a full reservoir on the LAM, I am ready for a break anyway.

A funnel with a longish spout is very handy for pouring melted lube. I don't have any idea of the temp though, I just shoot for fully liquid.

Robert

243winxb
09-25-2015, 06:14 AM
I added some Xlox to White Label's 50/50 lube to make it softer. At 60 degrees, it didn't flow without applying lots of pressure. Poured lube back into there plastic tubes. Doesn't seem like it will push out of the tube. Plus the hole is missing. Glad remelting will work. Thank you.

Maximumbob54
09-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Yep it's safe to do.
I store some of my homemade lubes in pint canning jars, I heat them double boiler style and pour directly in a lubesizer. NOW the helpful hint, that I learned the hard way: They are easy to pour, if they are half full...and it's scary easy to spill if the jar is near full. SO, I never ever fill a jar more than half full. YMMV

This needs to be repeated several times over again. I learned this lesson the hard way as well.

NuJudge
09-25-2015, 05:23 PM
I keep it in a old coffee mug, cover it with paper towel and put it in the microwave. Sometimes it will spit some. Melts wonderfully. Don't fill the reservoir all the way to the top.

oldfart1956
09-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Just refilled 3 of them a week or so ago and melting&pouring Bens Red works fine. Now a tip: leave room for the piston as mentioned and once the piston is installed and below the edge of the resovoir back off the pressure a bit. Do not, under any circumstances poke at the sizing die pin while melted (hot/soft) lube is in there under some considerable pressure. Curious individuals with a bamboo skewer and a brain fart have been known to do this. Ostensibly to ensure there are no air pockets in the resovoir. The distance lube can fly is a measured 42 inches...to the ceiling. And it's hard to get out of your hair. Or so I've heard. :( Audie...the Oldfart..

Hardcast416taylor
09-25-2015, 10:54 PM
I melt my blend of C. Red and BAC in an old coffee pot on a hot plate and keep stirring when melting. I pour this mix into my Lyman 450 to near the top and then do something else for an hour or so to let it cool. I put the luber back together on the reservoir and start lube/sizing. I do the same procedure with my Lars lubes I blend for my pistol boolet lube/sizing also in a Lyman 450.Robert

Blammer
09-26-2015, 01:49 PM
make sure your sizing die is IN before you pour....