PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits in a gas gun?

bubblehead
10-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I was wondering if you all have any experience using them in M1's and M1A's. I recall reading that they aren't practical because lead builds uo in the gas port.

Patrick L
10-11-2005, 07:33 PM
I ran a thread about this very question earlier this summer. Got lots of great feedback. I am inching slowly towards the results I want, but do not yet feel qualified to give advice.

I will say that lead buildup in the gas system of my M1 has been minimal, but it does happen. I have not kept avery accurate round count, but I would estimate that after about 200 rds I get enough lead built up inside the gas cylinder that I can feel resistance to the bolt going into battery if I am slowly lowering it. In the normal operating cycle it would not be a function problem (ie bolt running home under full power of the spring) but I do feel it effects the rifles ability to group well. The lead is fairly easy to clean out with solvent and a .58 cal muzzleloader brush, but it entails stripping the rifle down. That is no big deal for a casual shooter grade gun, but match accurized rifles are not supposed to be taken down more than absolutely necessary. Also, I need to inventory different powders, heat treat the bullets, and use a different lube than all of the rest of my cast rifle bulet loads.

So, the jury is out for me on whether I will continue this. With cheap FMJ bullets available, I wonder if it is worth the trouble to cast for the M1s. I will continue to shoot cast in my 03 Springfields, though. Cheap, easy on the bores, and wonderfully accurate, to be sure.

NuJudge
10-13-2005, 06:11 PM
in the SKS and Tokarev, but that was before the cheap ComBloc stuff arrived. Bullets had to be gas checked, and they had to be cast hard. With those two rifles, I never noticed any build-up on pistons.

I've seen cast bullets shot in an M1A, and they did very well at 200 yards, but I did not see many shot in a string.

There is a small blurb in NRA's Cast Bullets about Cast Bullets in the M1. CE Harris said after 500 rounds he started to get a gradual change in zero when lead was accumulating. He said he got excellent functioning and results until then in LC cases using the Lyman 311414 GC bullet cast from WW and some 50/50 solder, with 50/50 lube, Remington 9.5 primers, 45.0 grains of 4895, and a 1.0 grain tuft of Dacron over the powder.

There is an old Handloader article by Nonte in the Art of Bullet Casting, entitled 'Lead Loads for Self-Loaders'. In a table in the article he mentions the following:

For .308 he mentions two loads in the table for the M14, Winchester 100, Remington 742 and FAL:

Lyman 311291, 38.0 grains of 3031 for 2400 FPS, and
Lyman 311334, 38.0 grains of 3031 for 2300 FPS

For the .30-'06, in the table he says the Lyman 311291 and 42 grains of 4064 for 2300FPS.

For the .30-'06, in the text he says different things. In the text he talks about his favorite load for M1 rifles being the Lyman 311365GC ahead of 46.0 grains of 4831. He says this also worked well in the FN49, but that for the FN49 he likes the Lyman 311375GC over 42.0 grains of 4895 because of its different gas port placement.

I hope this helps.

waksupi
10-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I probably have asked this before, but do I have any fouling worries with my HK G3, and the roller bolt system?

StarMetal
10-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Ric,

No you don't, it's recoil operated although if it is one that has the serrations in the chamber to help extraction you may get a tad more fouling in the action because of the lube. Nothing to worry about though, you certainly shouldn't get any lead wash coming back.

Joe

mag_01
10-20-2005, 08:48 PM
:Fire: I shoot cast boolits in an SKS 160 gr. lee mould g/c with 19.3 of IMR 4198 which produces good groups and cycles action well---I have to look for the brass----I dont have a leading problem---if u try this start lower---I see no signs of pressure. :p

Cisco u want gold---noooo poncho---lead lead :Fire:

Newtire
12-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Bubblehead,
I've been shooting lots of cast thru my M-1 carbine. My son & I go thru at least 200 shots at the tin-can range and no leading whatsoever..Nada...Zip! Shooting 1600-1800fps & 115, 120, or 130 gr. bullets Water dropped wheelweights lubed with liquid alox or Felix Lube.

Newtire
12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Bubblehead,
I've been shooting lots of cast thru my M-1 carbine. My son & I go thru at least 200 shots at the tin-can range and no leading whatsoever..Nada...Zip! Shooting 1600-1800fps & 115, 120, or 130 gr. bullets Water dropped wheelweights lubed with liquid alox or Felix Lube.

Just an "add-on" here. After shooting close to 350 rounds over a period of 2-range trips, I decided to have a look inside again. Pretty normal looking fouling but looked like mostly carbon as carburettor cleaner spritzed wiped most of it off. There was a small lump that came off with a brush but really don't know if that was lead or not. Last group fired was 20 shots all inside 2" @ 50 yds. with issue aperture sights. Got lots of black fouling out of bore but wiped right out after a few strokes with brush & carb cleaner. Lubed bore after & ready for a dry-wipe and a few more range trips. Love that gun!

fatelvis
01-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Newtire, what powder and how much of it do you use? Does it cycle the action? Thanks-