PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 62

3jimbo3
09-23-2015, 05:41 PM
I just aquired a model 62 Winchester, it has some neglected rust on it but most of it is coming off with oil and remover. The main problem is some, for lack of a better word, idiot has drilled and tapped the barrels for a scope. It's a poor job at that. Now my question is does it hurt the value more with a poor drill and tap job or repairing the damage and rebluing? I bought it to resale or trade on so I don't want to spend a lot just to trade it off later. I does shoot really good with the iron sights though.

opos
09-23-2015, 06:32 PM
I have the 62 that I got on my 11th birthday...I've done a bit of "research" on 62's as I've had numerous offers to buy it over the years...of course it's not for sale...The fact that you have any drilling, good or bad as well as the rust situation will take it out of the realm of a valuable collectible rifle...there were tons of them made and sold and really nice ones are not hard to find...ones that have been "refinished" are not scarce at all and do not command any special price...refinishing them can only be "in the eye of the beholder" and won't impact the value much if at all...Get a copy of the "blue book" and look at the values...A 100% (that's as near new as they come) with original hang tag and box will bring about $1500. A 98% rifle (which is just a tiny bit below the 100% without tag and box will bring about $950 (I consider mine a 98% as it's dead original...wood is perfect and unfinished and the bluing has no wear nor flecking or rust...) Prices go on down to about $200 for a beater that has damage, rust and wood issues...Most folks tend to think that gun condition is higher than it often turns out to be...a "90% rifle" is listed at about $475 in the blue book...and a 90% rifle is pretty darn nice and would not have any "modifications" like drilling and tapping done.

Always a lot of them for sale on Gunbroker and other on line auctions...but don't look at the asking prices..they are there to grab someone that has no idea of real value...go to the "completed" auctions site on G/B for example and you might get a real surprise how few sell and what they bring...

There was a nice 62 for sale in our local area about 2 months ago and it sat and sat at $600..finally sold for something less than that...I looked at it and I'd say it might have approached a 95% condition.

Have no idea how much you are in the rifle but to have a retap/drill done (which are not original and the fact they were done ruins the collector value) plus some "bluing", etc will probably take a few hundred dollar rifle and after spending several hundred bucks...still have a few hundred dollar rifle...if it shoots....shoot it...my thoughts.

rollmyown
09-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Give it a birthday and repair it. Don't overspend as you won't see your money back. It's a shooter now, not a collector. They are a quality item which sadly is becoming increasingly rare these days unless you are willing to pay a motza for new quality.

lefty o
09-23-2015, 09:22 PM
its been altered and doesnt have any collectable value left. as a shooter they are great little rifles. figure what it will cost to fix it vs what you can expect to get as it sits.

TXGunNut
09-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Shooters are more fun than collectibles, you don't find a good shooter everyday. Shoot it, enjoy it. You won't hurt it.

Clark
09-27-2015, 01:42 AM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/Win62AwithT6mountandG4scope.jpg
I got this 1946 Win 62a in 1999 for $200 at a yard sale.

Geezer in NH
09-28-2015, 07:59 PM
With the rust you speak of not much value loss. It is not and may never be a collector but WOW!!! it can be a great shooter.