PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Sights for a Rolling Block

Area Man
09-23-2015, 11:45 AM
I’ve got a Pedersoli Rolling Block in 45-70. My original thoughts were BPCR and it’s got sights appropriate for that. BPCR isn’t common here but I take it out a few times per year and smack some steel plates just for kicks. Ohio recently changed their hunting laws and we’re now allowed hunt with rifles chambered for straight walled cartridges. The peep sights on the rifle aren’t feasible for hunting and as much as I’d like a Ruger #1 or #3 in 45-70 that’s not in my budget right now. Any recommendations on a sight for a rolling block that would do well in the field?

country gent
09-23-2015, 12:46 PM
If it has the dovetail mid point on the barrel simply install rear sight buckhorn or semi to your tastes. The front globe may be able to be used with a post appeture depending on hieght or it can be pushed out a nd a appropriate post set in place. Another option if drilled and tapped for it is a scope mounted up. You will need to remove the rear sight staff from the base for the scope. One option here would be to used a long eye relief pistol scope, It would mount over barrel in front of reciever leaving action out in the open for loading and such. Several things to think about there.

Dan Cash
09-23-2015, 01:42 PM
The barrel mounted ladder sight from a Shiloh Sharps is a superb hunting sight that provides for some longer range shooting than most barrel sights. Last one I bought was about $75 and cost about $40 to have nounted.

NF Hunter
09-24-2015, 09:29 PM
I also have a 45-70 Pedersoli Navy arms Rolling Block. It came with Pedersoli mid range sights. I took them off to mount a scope on it, for whitetail deer hunting. I had a local gunsmith drill and tap a solid one piece picatinny mount on it. He had to modify it so it would hang over the action for proper eye relief. It shoots awesome! I reload my own Boolits, it cost me about $130 for the mount and the installation.149688

Mk42gunner
09-25-2015, 01:58 AM
I've always liked the looks of the rough and ready sight on rolling blocks, but I have never used one. Surprisingly, they aren't all that expensive; at least compared to what the tang style sights cost. https://montanavintagearms.com/product/sights/mva/rough-ready-barrel-sight/

Robert

Area Man
09-25-2015, 07:52 AM
I like that setup a lot.

I checked Pedersoli's website (duh) and decided to go with this rear sight (http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-accessorio.asp/l_en/idpr_191/pre_0/accessories-rear-sights-e-sights-set-ramp-rear-sight-adjustable-for-elevation.html) and this front sight (http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-accessorio.asp/l_en/idpr_189/pre_0/accessories-front-sights-e-inserts-set-folding-front-sight.html).

Ordered Lyman's 457122 - 330 Grain HP mold.

I doubt I'll have the site mounted and a load worked up in time for gun season but I've got a Redhawk which will do just fine. Mostly I bow hunt anyway.

Should be a pretty good rig once it's all set up.