PDA

View Full Version : News...

Tom W.
09-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Hi people.

Last Wednesday I left work early and went home. I've been having shortness of breath and fatigue, not being able to walk the length of the house without being wheezing and having to go sit down. Thursday I left work early and took myself to the E.R.

Turns out my hemoglobin was down to 6, compared to the last time I was in in May, where it was 12 I got sent upstairs, where I was given 3 units of blood and 3 units of iron. The Dr. said that she didn't see how I was still alive. I was loosing blood, but it wasn't detectable. and I am anemic, with a heart condition. No news like good news..
After 2 CAT scans, a scope down my throat, another up my, well, backside, it was determined that there is a "mass" in the end of my colon by my appendix.

I did get to come home yesterday afternoon, but have an appointment with my cardiologist in a few hours and not supposed to be out of bed, or at least do any kind of work at all, until the 29th, where I have an appointment to schedule a removal of part of my colon. I was told by one of my doctors that it will be an easy procedure, with two holes cut into me , the offensive part removed, and then they will "weld" the two halves back up. Lord knows when I'll be able to go back to work, if at all. It makes Lori fret and worry, as now she'll be the only source of income for the house.

Surprisingly, I'm not frightened at the prospect of the mass being cancerous, as they found no traces in my bloodwork. I wryly looked at them and reminded them that 3 pints of that blood was from a transfusion.:roll:

Not to mention I have to go and see a hematologist at the John B. Amos Cancer center, where he has his office. Lori said Hematologists usually congregate at cancer centers due to the fact that most of their work is hand in hand with oncologists. This Dr. said he didn't see any signs of cancer, but he does want to check my iron levels, and help me find a local "regular" Dr. so I won't have to make a 100 mile round trip to see my current Dr. in Eufaula.

jmort
09-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Praying for a full recovery and for strength for your wife. May God /Bless you both in this most difficult time.

USMC87
09-23-2015, 09:27 AM
I will be praying for your procedure to go well and that there will be no cancer, I will also be praying for your wife as she is being tried also.

Boaz
09-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Praying for you . Take care of yourself !

Hickok
09-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Tom, prayers sent in the name of Jesus Christ for you and your wife for a good outcome and for the protection and care of His infinite grace.

Teddy (punchie)
09-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Tom hope it all works out for you!! Pray you find out that it is truly just a growth. Teddy

mdi
09-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Hey Tom! A cancer diagosis is not a death sentence! I was diagnosed with throat caner in June 2010 and the first Sunday after the diagnosis I went to church and went forward for prayer. Pastor prayed a powerful prayer and I felt it all the way to my toes! I did not get an instant miraclious healing, but I was given a strong, assured peace and wisdom that stayed throughout my 4 surgeries, 30+ radiation treatments and all the associate activies, scans, and tests. I think God knew what he was doing 'cause I polly would have forgotten a miracle in a few months! But now I'm left with scars and daily reminders of what God did for me. Cool!

I'm asking God for a healing or you and I'm praying that God give you the wisdom and strength to deal with whatever is in God's will for you, in total Peace...

Tom W.
09-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement and prayers. I'm a saved Christian, so my only fear is all the pokes and such associated with the procedures. I truly do not like needles. Even at that, I'm ready to face whatever. I just lost a friend to cancer this past July, and he never flinched or worried about anything from his diagnosis, through the three years he lived past the Dir.'s guess. He and I were the bass singers in our church, until I moved up here.

DLCTEX
09-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Praying for you, Tom.

Tom W.
09-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Got the news today that the mass that was found was cancerous. I've an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow, and we'll get this thing out asap.

outdoorfan
09-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Praying for you & your family. May the Lord heal you and draw you closer to Him in the process.

Boaz
09-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Please keep us updated . More prayer will be offered . I know it's small consolation but they have found the problem , now it can be treated . GOD is always there .

Tom W.
10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Well, the surgery is over but I'm healing slowly. The nausea meds weren't working but last night I got a different one that finally did. I'm still as weak as water but still kicking.been here a week now and don't know when I'm going home.

Boaz
10-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Glad your over that over Now you can work on your recovery . Did they give you an idea as to your follow up treatment ?

Tom W.
11-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Hi people.

Shortly after my last post the nurses rushed in and said I was going into A- Fib. They loaded me and all my stuff onto the bed and if no time I was in ICU-CVS I stayed there a week, with a tube up my nose draining my stomach. I believe it's some kind of medieval torture.. Anyway, in the first five minutes it pumped out a liter of bile or something green, I know it wasn't food because I hadn't eaten anything since I got to the hospital. I was in ICU for a week, and my blood pressure and heart rate was through the roof..I didn't quite reach stroke level, but that's what they were expecting. Two days before Halloween the surgeon and Cardiologist both declared me better and sent me back upstairs.. Halloween morning the surgeon came in and said I could go home if the cardiologist agreed. He came in about 1300 and checked me, said my lungs we no longer collapsed, my b/p was good and to call my wife to come get me.

Right now I'm a week or two behind in my recuperation, still ain't eating much, and wobbly when I walk. My son Lee promised me a deer hunt when I get to where I'm able, that's a good incentive. I haven't fired my rifle in 4 years or so.

Thank you all for your prayers, as I know without them I'd probably be looking and the brown side of the grass.

shoot-n-lead
11-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Glad you are on the upswing...I hope it continues. Prayer sent for your continued improvement.

obssd1958
11-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Tom,
You keep on fighting and we'll keep on praying!

Tom W.
11-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Not going to do the Chemo. I can't see poisoning myself and the side effects aren't worth the perceived benefits. Permanent neuropathy will put an end to all of my hobbies, make feeding myself difficult and walking even worse, not to mention the damage it will do to my already damaged heart. I will no longer be able to work, have to spend six hours in the hospital getting the chemo through a port and 48 hours at home puking my guts out, only to start the cycle again...The pills aren't much better, and will take all of the skin from the palms of my hands and soles of my feet the benefits are maybe a 5% gain in my life span, which equals what, 6 months in the course of 10 years? In 10 years I'll be 72, just an old man puttering about, making Boolits and loading for whatever firearms I own at the time. Who knows how I'll be feeling then? I suspect the same as I do now. So no, no chemo for me.

jmort
11-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the update and I will pray for continued recovery.

DLCTEX
11-22-2015, 08:48 AM
I'm keeping you in prayer Tom.

big bore 99
11-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Prayers sent.

w5pv
11-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Prayers sent that you have a full recovery.

TheCelt
11-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Praying for you and your family Tom, that God place his healing hand upon you. God bless and keep you and yours.

ez4545
11-24-2015, 10:29 AM
Tom I have said prayers for you,your wife and your children. I honestly believe the Lord hears our prayers and many are healed every day.

I pray the Lord guides your doctors and and comforts you and your family during the hard times. The Lord heals and works miracles every day.

I pray for your healing and your miracle!

Bill in Ga

smoked turkey
11-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Tom I am so glad that you are a born again Christian and know where you will spend eternity. We are all dying bit by bit everyday. Some of us a little quicker, some a little slower. But none of us will get out of this alive in the present body God has given us. This mortal life is but a vapor compared to eternity in Heaven with the Lord. I am praying that the Lord will add quality time to your earthly life so you can enjoy the pleasures He has provided for us. May you and your family know the peace of Mind that only the Holy Spirit can give. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Tom W.
11-25-2015, 11:26 PM
Thank you all so very much, and safe and happy thanksgiving to all!

shoot-n-lead
11-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Continuing to pray for you, Tom.