PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check making tool

Freightman
04-04-2008, 02:37 PM
OK I got a 30 cal tool from Ebay, it works if youb super glue them to the base. I will not be using it that often as my time is worth more than that, it will be something to do on a cold wet winter day but not in the spring. If you use tthe bottom of the can they will crimp to the base as it is three times a thick. You can get 11 to the bottom, the sides of the can have to be glued to the base or they fall off in the sizer.
Two ? 1. Does it work? Yes to a point. . Is it worth it? yes if you want to take the time.
Have a few made up for my K31 going to the range in a little bit to see if they preform.

Duckdog
04-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I went and put the punch of my 30 cal tool in the drill press, clamped a small file in the drill press vice, and turned the end down to .277 or .278. Then I shined it up with some steel wool to smoothen it up. Now, the checks clamp onto the bullet base without glue whn used in my Lee sizer.

I found some .030 copper sheets that are 12" x 36" for $17.00 thay only need one layer. I also found some embossing copper sheets that are the same size for something like $12 a sheet on a web site. I ordered some of each and they both do good. The thinner copper I use with 2 aluminum can disks and one copper on the outside.

I am really surprised that Lee or someone else hasn't deveolped something that would fit into a press at a reasonable price. Who knows... maybe they will.

It is some screwing around, but it's things like this tool that keeps me interested.

bpost1958
04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
If you could email or fax a dimensional drawing for the requires punches I could check into getting the punches and dies made from tool steel for a reasonable cost. Of course volume is the key to low prices. My fax is 866-795-4502. This seems like a worthy project for sure. Gas check costs are getting out of hand.

dakotashooter2
04-04-2008, 09:03 PM
If you have a print shop nearby check and see if you can get any "plates" from them. They are an aluminum sheet they use on the presses. They come in at least two thicknesses. After they print a job they usually send them back to the distributor for recycling.

jhrosier
04-04-2008, 09:11 PM
IIRC, CH4D is making a press-mounted tool, and Charlie Darnall is selling the stand-alone tools on ebay. Charlies tool is well made and reasonably priced.

Jack

ETA: I might be wrong about CH4D, it might be Corbin.

Freightman
04-04-2008, 11:30 PM
That is who I got them from and the cost I got them it would be hard to do too much and make anything. He has them all the time on ebay in different sizes. His service is fast two days to my front door.
I was fooled the light ones I had to glue (cheap super glue) shot as well as the Hornady and the heaver bottom of the can, go figure.
I hope he has them patiented as it would be a shame to lose his business due to an oversite. I knew a man who had a great idea for a auto part that we all use, he was telling a man at the auto supply house and low and behold he had his boss and another co. put a patient on it and the man lost all he had invested in the devolopment of it.

Duckdog
04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I was kind of surprised they shot as good as the store bought ones, too. But when a person thinks about it, the check is being pushed down the barrel along with the bullet, so there should be really little chance of it popping off, especially after it has engaged with the lands and grooves.

Like I said above, just turning a small amount off of the punch made the difference of having it crimp onto the bullet base. It also makes it easier for a person the use multiple layers, or a thicker material.

I ordered 2 more sets of the hole punches off of another tool site for about $6 or $8 buck a set, (12 punches in a set). The 30 cal uses a 3/8 punch, so I can keep them sharp all of the time by having a couple.

I think the tool is another way a guy can avoid being screwed by a large company that has us over the barrel. Kind of nice to be able to "build" a bullet without having to buy any one part, except lead.