PDA

View Full Version : looking for opinions on a herters 9 ton press

rmatchell
09-21-2015, 08:57 PM
I was wondering what peoples experience was with herters 9 ton press. I have an opportunity to get one and cant find alot of information on them. Also am I correct in thinking they are for 1/2 jackets only.

clodhopper
09-21-2015, 11:45 PM
They bleed excess lead off the side, making them best suited for half jackets or un jacketed bullets.
I had a crazy idea they could be used core uniforming for rifle bullets.
made .250 die, but the design requires larger punch diameter to keep the ejection punch from being pushed out the back.

rmatchell
09-22-2015, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a 1/2 jacket setup but wasnt sure. I have the ch swag-o-matic and the herters press looks alot stronger than the ch.

Bent Ramrod
09-26-2015, 11:06 PM
I had one back in the 1970's-early '80's. They were a half jacket proposal only. I can't remember how it worked, but the swaging depended on a hardened steel washer in the back. I broke a couple, as I recall, but was probably abusing the press. The dies were allegedly 0.224", but when I finally got around to buying a micrometer, the bullets actually came out around 0.226".

The press itself was plenty stout; never had any troubles with it. The punches were simple shapes, but I don't think they were hardened. I recall bending a couple, and scoring at least one die. But I wasn't the mature, sophisticated swager back then that I am now. As I recall, the replacements were very inexpensive, as were the half jackets.

clodhopper
09-28-2015, 10:07 PM
My nine ton press came from the heir of a swager. with no instructions or guidance. I though of putting a washer in the die but now will have to give it a try.

Bent Ramrod
09-29-2015, 02:18 AM
A regular washer will bend. I remember learning that. The replacement from Herter's was unbendable and wouldn't mark with a file. Don't know if a regular washer could be casehardened and made to work or not.

Can't remember exactly how it worked. Maybe the washer held the automatic ejection punch at a certain depth so the lead and jacket could be pressed together. Anyway, if the washer cracked or broke or was missing, the setup wouldn't swage the bullet any more. You might check with Pressman; he might have a copy of the instructions.

clodhopper
09-29-2015, 09:34 AM
I may be able to make a washer, have to get some material than can be hardened.