PDA

View Full Version : First Pewter Score

Silvercreek Farmer
09-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Been keeping an eye out for several years with no luck, everything I found was too expensive. Finally came across these goblets for $2 each, marked Priesner pewter. Guessed them to be 4 oz each and they came in at 5. Not as good as some members, but not terrible either. Looking forward to adding some tin to my WW. (Sorry, not sure why the Ipad flips the photo). Also scored a few lbs some sort of type alloy recently, I'll have to get a pic up and get some guesses as to what it is.

imashooter2
09-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the game and congrats on the find. :)

Nose Dive
09-22-2015, 07:10 PM
You "DUN GUD"... Have melted some Priesner items myself and was "VERY HAPPY" with the alloy.

I did not 'smelt these'. I alloyed with some smelted plumber's lead from a sewer line. (sewer lead was heavy fluxed w/ sawdust & sulfur) Putting this quality of pewter in a smelt pot, to me, is unnecessary.

Price was darn good too!!

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Markbo
09-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Where did you find them? I have been to the local Goodwill a couple dozen times and have never seen anything that was for sure Pewter

cgs500
09-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Where did you find them? I have been to the local Goodwill a couple dozen times and have never seen anything that was for sure Pewter

I'm going to throw out a little secret. Do you have any "cash for gold" shops around? If so, it might not be a bad idea to stop in and introduce yourself. Mention that you are looking for hallmarked pewter and you'll pay xxx. I have had OK luck doing this. Yesterday the guy gave me a bunch (4-5 lbs) for free. I am a regular silver buyer though. He said he gets it in boxes when people think it's sterling. He doesn't pay them anything and many times they tell him to just keep it.

Markbo
09-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Hmmmmmm.... as a matter of fact there might be one or two around here. Sure wouldnt hurt to ask!

rmatchell
09-23-2015, 10:15 PM
another good thing to look for is franklin mint items. they hold no value and melt nicely.