PDA

View Full Version : Nilgai Hunt

wgg
09-21-2015, 05:52 PM
I just found out that my son and I were drawn for a Nilgai hunt in December in South Texas. Very excited I have a JES rebore in 38-55 for this very hunt. I have the Lee mold for 38-55, will use WW for metal, plan to try powder coat as well as lube. Any helpful information would be very much appreciated.

MT Chambers
09-21-2015, 06:16 PM
From what I've read about the toughness of this animal I'd opt for the 45/70 and heavy flat points of over 400 grains, I believe they are even tougher than the large African plains game like Zebra. Lesser N.A. game like moose and black bear would be great game for your 38/55, IMHO.

Hardcast416taylor
09-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Very elusive, very tough animal. Use enough gun.Robert

Cornbread
09-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Is this for the Lower Rio Grande Valley Wildlife refuge hunt to knock down the feral Nilgai population there? I'm curious because you said it was a drawing and I know that one is or was a drawing at one point.

dragon813gt
09-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Does the state issue tags for them? Everything I found was private hunts on ranches. Either way it seems like a fun hunt. To say a Nilgai is a tank of an animal doesn't seem far off base.

Markbo
09-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Toughest animal I have ever hunted in North America. A fellah I hunted with is on a hunting club in S.Texas and told me stories of Nilgai being shot and running off, the body never to be found. Lots of animals taken with old wounds healed over. I shot mine with .375 H&H. I believe 38-55 is a might light unless you are after Cow only and they are still tough! On my hunt one other shooter hit one in the hip on the run with a 45-70... didn't even slow her down. Think Africa tough and you are on the right track

Char-Gar
09-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Does the state issue tags for them? Everything I found was private hunts on ranches. Either way it seems like a fun hunt. To say a Nilgai is a tank of an animal doesn't seem far off base.

Nilgai are not considered game animals and you need no permit to hunt them. Landowners get a pretty penny for a hunt.

Currently there is a problem with them down here in that they carry fever ticks which can infect cattle. On some Federal Wildlife Refuges near the border, they are hunted from helicopters to stop the problem. A contractor does this and the meat is sold. Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Refuges does allow some hunting by permit. However, the hides must be frozen for 24 hours to kill any ticks. The meat is good eating.

Like others, I would consider a 38-55 to be not enough gun for these animals.

wgg
09-23-2015, 06:26 PM
The hunt will be at Laguna Atascosa. Looks like time for plan B.

dave roelle
09-23-2015, 07:10 PM
The posters above are spot on, i have collected several of them over the years in the Sarita Tx area

All i shot were with my 375 H&H with 270 grain jacketed bullets-------270 grain lead boolits in that caliber would work fine at around 18/20 Br-----------2500/2700 FPS would do the job

One of the best critters on the table that i know of !!!!!!!!!!!! shootem till they quite moving !!!!!

Be safe
Dave

WBG
09-23-2015, 07:12 PM
I think that you will do fine with your 38-55 for Nilgai, providing you get things right. ( I and pals have killed lots for similar animals, and bigger, in Africa with varius callibers.) For the 38-55 Use heavy bullet 250gr. to 270gr. at 1700 -1900 fps. With this bullet/animal combination pennitration trumps bullet expansion. Bhn of 16+ to control the expansion. Use wide flat meplate for deep, big, straight line wound channel. And get within 150 yards. 100 yds. would be better. In Africa, when there are no North Americans watching, the local farmers and hunters ( Biltong Hunters.) go out and drop mature Wildebeeste, which are pound for pound one of the toughest, with mildly loaded 243's. They just use good bullets and hit them near the middle of the shoulder. This is African fact not speculation. With 38-55 for big African antelope you must use a heavy, hard bullet with a wide flat meplate and get close enough to put you shot in the middle of the shoulder, 100% of the time. Brian

PS. I see that a 375 HH is suggested. In Africa, we use the 375 HH is for Cape buffalo. Completely different category than Nilgai. However, I have killed several big plains game including Blu wildebeest and Gemsbok with a .375 HH swift bullets and one Northfork soft. The 375 is a fun gun to hunt with and it really kills plains game but it is way more gun that is needed. Go do it with your 38-55. You will be very satisfied. B.

iomskp
09-23-2015, 07:25 PM
I saw these in India earlier this year, they make Sambar look small, very impressive animal.

Hamish
09-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Terminator tough. We had one bull on the 74 when I was there we called "Treekiller", I didn't realize an animal could do that kind of vegetation damage, short of an elephant. As said, go heavy for caliber, tight behind the shoulder, and keep pulling the trigger.

Markbo
09-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Getting that perfect shot...in my admittedly limited experience with myself and 2 other hunters that never happened a single time. They were ALWAYS moving and usually running. Mine I actually shot in the spine from the rear as I was aiming it went from running right to left to turning on a dime running away. 300gr bullet hit the spine at the top of the rump and stopped inside the front shoulder. I personally was VERY happy to have used that bigger gun.

Rufus Krile
09-23-2015, 10:29 PM
As CharGar mentioned... they are frequently hunted from helicopter for meat destined for the European market. Worked on the Kenedy Ranch for 3 years and saw some of the 'culling". Since they are destined for market, they have to be shot in the head... I remarked to the ranch foreman that this could be somewhat challenging and he disputed the challenge of it. Said they shooter used a 12ga and shot only the head... but the helicopter would come back with blood all over it. Fly down, stick it in its ear... while running through the mesquite brush... and pull the trigger. The nilgai are never great respecters of fences, but once they get a helicopter after them they'll climb up in the truck with you. The only thing I've shot with a 38/55 was an armadillo... and it was enough gun for that, but I think I'd want something with a bit more horsepower for a critter this tough. They are big as horses, though not as smart and I think God put horses on earth to make the sheep feel better about themselves.

Bad Water Bill
09-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Anybody know what the price is to shoot and process one?

Char-Gar
09-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Anybody know what the price is to shoot and process one?

H Yturria Land and Cattle Company and Canelo Ranch in Kenedy County Texas offer Nilgai hunts and you can get the prices from their web sites. There are others, but these are the ones I am most familiar with.

fouronesix
09-24-2015, 04:46 PM
I too would opt for something with a little more poop and margin for error. They are not small at 600+ lbs for adult males. On average they are very slightly heavier than blue wildebeest. If they are any where near as tough as wildebeest they most assuredly call for something more than a 38-55. Use enough gun and don't look back. A 375 HH wouldn't be excessive- IMO. Hunters who use plenty of gun are not sissies- they are both wise and humane.

longuner
09-27-2015, 02:06 PM
I guided nilgai hunters for 5 years on the Encino division of the King ranch. We regularly had hunters kill Bulls from their deer stand with 270 winchester and 130 grain bullets. they are big but the only reason for the "hard to kill" label is how they are hunted. When you chase them in trucks your shots tend to be on running animals. If you have a good shot and animal is standing a 243 would be sufficient. The lungs set between the shoulders, most hunters try to be behind the shoulder and this is a mistake, this puts the bullet too far back. Also a shot placed about 10 inches bellow the top of the shoulder will break the spine and put the animal down. A follow up shot may be needed. Good luck!

Tim357
09-27-2015, 09:43 PM
To piggyback what longuner said, about 2000 or therebouts, Finn Aagard penned an article for Handloader magazine recalling his experience with the .308 Winchester. He wrote of nilgai as well as gemsbock among others. Bottom line, if you hit them where they live, they die. Pick your shot, squeeze the trigger, and enjoy the roast.
good hunting!

wgg
09-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the information.