PDA

View Full Version : In progress Peabody carbine

mm1ut1
09-21-2015, 01:01 PM
I own an original Peabody carbine in 56/50. It's a really fun firearm to shoot and a real attention getter at the range. It's not perfect, though, and it had a few areas that could be improved, namely the ammunition, sights, and trigger ( in my opinion, anyway !). I asked Providence Tool Co. If they were ever thought about building a carbine and they responded that they concentrate on target and hunting rifles, but would consider building a carbine to my specs. I stopped by this morning to check on the progress and took a few photos.
The carbine will be in 50/70. I chose that for its historical significance and wanted a more powerful cartridge for hunting than the 56/50. I also own several other firearms in 50/70 so having the brass, dies, molds , et cet factored in.
The sights on the original Peabody are a simple flip rear . Being a high power rifle shooter I wanted a rear sight adjustable for windage as well as elevation. I also wanted the period correct look so I decided on an original trapdoor 1877(?) sight bought online.
Last item was the trigger. I went for a double set trigger configuration . The original carbine had a very heavy pull and I wanted better. Hard to beat double set triggers and since Providence used them on their target models they could use on the shelf parts.
When done it will have a 20" barrel and a six and a half pound weight. Pretty light for a 50/70 with a brass butt plate, but having shot trapdoor carbines with full power 45/70 loads it shouldn't be that bad. I'll find out soon enough !

ndnchf
09-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Very cool project! Many years ago I had an original Sharps carbine 50-70 conversion. I don't recall the weight, but I do recall that it kicked like a mule with full black powder loads. But it was quite accurate too. The I shoot a 56-50 two band Spencer rifle and aM1868 trapdoor 50-70 and enjoy them both. Keep us posted on your progress.

09-21-2015, 07:58 PM
A Peabody! Always wanted one of those. The way Martini & Henry pushed Peabody aside has always made me want one all the more. When it's all done, please post pictures and a report. :)