PDA

View Full Version : Randy Rat's blackpowder lube

FergusonTO35
09-20-2015, 09:53 AM
I've been using TC Bore Butter for years now as both a boolit lube and bore coating with good success. I would smear Bore Butter on the sides of my Lee REAL boolits after molding and let it dry, also Coat the bore of my rifle after cleaning and drying.

Randy Rat was so kind as to send me a sample of his blackpowder lube. Given the good success I've had with Tac-X I'm eager to try it. This is a solid lube, whereas Bore Butter is a liquid that squirts out of a tube. I dont use a lubesizer for my BP slugs. As of now the plan is to melt it and dip the boolits in like I do LLA for my centerfire rifle slugs. I wonder if Randy's lube melted and on a patch would also make a good bore coating? Anybody have suggestions on how best to use it.

bigted
09-20-2015, 08:38 PM
never used it ... but ... if I had some ... I would prolly contact Randy and ask his appraisal of the use of his lube.

FrontierMuzzleloading
09-21-2015, 11:59 AM
if it contains beeswax it will be a mess.

bubba.50
09-21-2015, 12:49 PM
melt it and use it to pan-lube your bullets.

bubba.50
09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
also, in my experience, it's what you mix in the beeswax that determines how messy it'll be. I used Wiljen's blackpowder lube almost exclusively in my 45-70. it had a high beeswax percentage & was not messy at all.

Tom_in_AZ
09-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Message Randy, he'll get back to you

OverMax
09-21-2015, 10:53 PM
I received a small sample of R/R's B/P patching lube a year or so ago when I purchased some bee's wax from him.. Found it to be a little stiff for a patch lube in the cold but having custom hand tools that fill my 45 & 54 maxi balls grease groves in any temperature. The lube worked great in those 2-tools lube reservoirs. Barrel powder fouling of Randy's lube was equal too Ox-yoke Wonder Lube as I recall. {So it was doing its intended job.} One cool thing I noticed about R/R's lube. It didn't at that time have that awful Wintergreen stink to it. Just the pleasant natural scent of bee's wax is all. And that is cool with me and the animals I hunt.