PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the RCBS 4x4 Press!!!

seagiant
09-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Hi,
I'm looking at one of these still in original box and was wondering if there are anyone with experience with one??? Thanks!

HGS
09-19-2015, 04:00 PM
seagiant;

I have a manual index 4x4 and while I don't care for the manual indexing I like the press enough that I just special ordered another 4x4 with auto indexing from Midway for $319.00 It should be here around the end of October. The 4 hole shell plates are around $40.00 each and is about the only thing I don't like. My manual 4x4 press is slow and comfortable which works for me as I load more then shoot nowdays.

HGS

seagiant
09-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Hi,
Thanks!

Here is the trick question!

How well does the priming system work?????

HGS
09-19-2015, 10:00 PM
seagiant

The primimg systen on my manuual index 4x4 works good after you learn where to stop the handle about 1/2" to 3/4" up from the bottom of the handle stroke in order to replace the last seated primer. You have to move that little gray lever between the handle and the press body. Slow but sure machine.

HGS

seagiant
09-19-2015, 10:53 PM
seagiant

The primimg systen on my manuual index 4x4 works good after you learn where to stop the handle about 1/2" to 3/4" up from the bottom of the handle stroke in order to replace the last seated primer. You have to move that little gray lever between the handle and the press body. Slow but sure machine.

HGS

Hi,
Yes I saw that in a vid. the bottom of the handle moves the arm (through linkage) to pick up a primer in the primer cup and then the arm/cup moves under the shellholder to prime the case!!!

Looks like something from Frankensteins labratory!!!

I'm probably going to go with a powder thru expander rig and that will allow me to free up a station (for a taper crimp die) while also making the powder drop more reliable!

Might be a cool little loader when I get it all together!!! Thanks for the info!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJDKl7mbiM

seagiant
09-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Hi,
Well I picked up the RCBS 4x4 and it is a "auto" version all complete and like new.

It seems the nylon bushing is worn as the shellplate does not want to turn the complete 90 degrees each time.

Have to call RCBS,but man this press is STOUT and has the shovel handle and works as smooth as glass!

Looks just like the pic above!

HGS
09-21-2015, 08:51 PM
seagiant;

The 4x4's are the next press up from the A4 big max as they are the A5 model. When mounted next to a rock chucker supreme IV it makes the RC look small. Hoping my auto 4x4 comes in sooner then advertized by Midway.

HGS

seagiant
09-21-2015, 09:30 PM
seagiant;

The 4x4's are the next press up from the A4 big max as they are the A5 model. When mounted next to a rock chucker supreme IV it makes the RC look small. Hoping my auto 4x4 comes in sooner then advertized by Midway.HGS

Hi,
Yes! It was a lot bigger and the metal thicker than it looked.

It has a long platform in the back (longer than most) and added all together makes for a HEAVY and STOUT press!

I have a feeling this is going to be a favorite press of mine when I get it running!

Surprised not more people are using these???

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Wow, that press looks a lot like it's the Granddaddy to the RCBS Pro 2000 Auto-advance I have. I totally agree adding powder through expansion would greatly improve this press. I wonder if you could replace the worn out plastic bushing with a brass version for longer life.

seagiant
09-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Wow, that press looks a lot like it's the Granddaddy to the RCBS Pro 2000 Auto-advance I have. I totally agree adding powder through expansion would greatly improve this press. I wonder if you could replace the worn out plastic bushing with a brass version for longer life.

Hi,
I don't know I will look at it when I replace the old one.

I'm going to call RCBS and get a few things for it while they have parts!

I guess you could even use it like a Dillon 550 and do it manually but thought I would keep it "auto" if possible.

Will absolutly go to a powder thru case operated PM mechanism!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-23-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure, looking at the powder measure in the pic, you should be able to get either an RCBS case activated powder drop or a Hornady version and it should work with the original powder measure. Or just go with Lee, either would work or just do both and have a couple powder measures available to get better drops depending on the powder you're using.

seagiant
09-24-2015, 01:12 AM
Hi,
Yes it will work no problem, and that will make it able to free up a station to hold a taper crimp die for ACP type cartridges!

I am surprised that not to many people here use these?

It is built like a T-34 tank!!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-24-2015, 09:55 PM
My Pro 2K is built like that, but doesn't have the shovel handle. Wish mine had come with that. I had to add an excellent aftermarket unit made by Inline Fabrication to get the same function. If memory serves, he was kind enough to make the first one for me of those. Very ergonomic, very efficient and easy on the joints, which I need now that I've got serious arthritic joint inflammation issues.

Love the idea of adding the taper crimp die/maximizing die space/function efficiency on any press, especially a good press like that one. Really interested in hearing how the primer feed works when you get it up and going.

seagiant
09-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Hi,
I played with the primer feed today,

Switched from small to large as I will set it up for 45 ACP.

Just ran it to see if it would pick up primers as it is suppose to and it worked perfectly.

The primer mechanism is interesting because of the swinging arm and the crazy linkage being ran from the toggle arms!!!

After playing with RCBS Green Machines, I'm pretty certain RCBS Engineers stay high most of the time!

Sounds like they settled down and got it right with the 2000! Just sayin!

terryt
09-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Hi:

Is RCBS still making the 4X4 Press?

Thanks,

Terry

tenx
10-12-2015, 04:17 PM
back in the day i wanted a progressive type press, i could not seem to cough up the bucks they were asking for in a dillon(a dillon 450 was what i was looking at then). not that anything was wrong with it, it's just for that kind of cash outlay i wanted a significantly stronger metal involved in the press construction than aluminum. the rumor was rcbs had a progressive type press in the works so i bought a lyman spartan turrent press in the meantime. one of the best kept secrets was that turrent press, not much money outlay and a significant jump in ammunition production. however, when rcbs came out with the 4x4 i bought the first one i laid eyes on. still have it and haven't looked back. in fact i own another of the manual indexing/manual priming 4x4 presses, one for large and the other for small primers. the only drawback is with four stations and the way rcbs has it set up is that seating and crimping cannot be done at the same time. i seat on the 4x4 and crimp seperately on the rock chucker. the 5 station 4x4 handles both seating and crimping together but both of mine are 4 station. no complaints and still a happy camper after tens of thousands of rounds. with care you'll wear out your shoulder and arms before you hurt the 4x4. good luck

seagiant
10-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info!

As I said above if you will go to a PM set up to flare the case and dispense powder, you will get an extra station to set up a taper crimp die for ACP cartidges!

This press is so beefy and the primer system works so well I have no problem setting up the PM!