PDA

View Full Version : brass mold tinning

Bushrat
09-18-2015, 05:53 PM
I was using a nearly new brass mold that belongs to my friend. It made nice boolits but I had a few small places where the lead stuck to the brass and has bonded. How can I get it off and how do you keep it from happening again.

bangerjim
09-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Is it bright and shiny or a rich deep golden color when you started using it? All brass molds need to be seasoned 3X to around 450F to oxidize the brass from new & shiny to that golden oxidized color.

I have 4 brass molds, seasoned them properly, and never any tinning!

Heat the mold to FULL CASTING TEMP (450-500F) on a hot plate and then take a hardwood dowel and scrape the lead off as best you can. After clean, season it again.

Make sure your mold is clean of anything that will act as a flux when casting again.

bangerjim

Bushrat
09-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Thanks, I will give it a try, not my mold but I know it has been used before.

303Guy
09-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Remember that some waxes are fluxes that will cause tinning. Like stearic acid, found in lanolin.

country gent
09-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Heat the mould slowly and evenly to where the tinned lead softens a bamboo skewer ( sold in most grocery stores) works well clean the end to square and fairly sharp corner when mould is hot use this to work the lead out. Sometimes a little 2 cycle oil or dish soap will help raise it and loosen it also. If using hte oil or soap do it outside with good ventilation as there will be smoke.

Leadmelter
09-18-2015, 11:48 PM
I had a little on one of mine and I used a single edge razor blade to take off a few specs.
Leadmelter
MI

PbHurler
09-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Here's a "sticky" about this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?213156-Lead-Adhearing-to-Mould

44man
09-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Interesting thing about boolit lubes and getting any in a mold. I made a test on brass with every boolit lube and a soldering iron. ALL were a great flux.