PDA

View Full Version : RCE new concept for pistol bullets

rolltide
09-18-2015, 01:23 AM
Richard Corbin has some one off experimental dies for sale for making half jacket SWC. It is a 2 die set for $350. It is a core seat die, and a point form die with a SWC punch to form the nose. The new concept is that the nose portion of the bullet transitions to a diameter smaller than the bore. This locks the core in the jacket, gives a great place to crimp the case mouth into, and mostly it keeps any lead from touching the bore. Just before the mouth of the half jacket, you can see the outer diameter of the jacket transitions to a smaller diameter. On the 45 caliber bullet, the base bullet diameter of .454 transition down to .449 just about 1/8 inch before the SWC shoulder. Take a look below and post what you think.

fast ronnie
09-18-2015, 03:13 AM
Interesting concept. I wonder what is being used for the jacket?

rolltide
09-18-2015, 06:44 AM
I think it is just one of his regular jackets, but in addition to the reduction in diameter up front there appears to be a ring right at the base of the bullet, I can't figure that part out.

rolltide
09-19-2015, 01:04 PM
I emailed Richard, he said the ring at the base is just an anomaly on that particular bullet. He uses regular jackets, but I am sure you could use properly sized brass cases if desired. I really like this idea as I handgun hunt, and I always liked SWC projectiles for the neat caliber sized exsanguination portals they punch in portly porcine packages.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
09-19-2015, 04:20 PM
alliterations anyone? :drinks:

chuckbuster
09-22-2015, 05:53 PM
That bullet needs a cannelure......

Lead pot
09-22-2015, 07:30 PM
That ring at the base usually shows up when you use a jacket to small in diameter. I get that ring when I use a jacket made for a .44 in a .45 die set.
That reduced step is nothing new. It is used for rifle bullets as a bore riding nose where more bare lead is exposed ahead of the jacket.

rolltide
09-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Chuckbuster, I think a cannelure would make it complete, and I know a fella who could help him with that. [smilie=1:

Lead Pot, Maybe it is just new to me. I just never saw a set of swage dies to make pistol bullets that way. It is a good way for some to get started swaging on a budget. With just a $350, 2 die set, it would be much less expense than a standard 3 die set.

Anyway, I like it.