PDA

View Full Version : The BFR 45/70 ...as I was told

Johnch
09-17-2015, 11:33 PM
This afternoon I went to the range to test 3 new loads and to see if I liked a set of custom grips a friend made for me

While getting ready to shoot the first load at 100 yards a group of rifle shooters showed up and set up with me

I shot some 5 shot groups and they blasted away

As we were walking down range to check/replace targets
I was told that the BFR in 45/70 with 400 gr cast bullets was no deer pistol or a load with enough power
I needed a real gun
Like the Ruger in 7 MM Rem Mag they were shooting

Well my groups were all about 3" ( as good as my eyes allow )
They had 5-7" groups and were still trying to tell me to get a real gun for deer hunting

Oh well rant over ....it just makes me made when they try and tell me BS like that

John

CLAYPOOL
09-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Have them go out to the 100 yard line and Moon you bent over and see if it has any power.

Whiterabbit
09-18-2015, 02:28 AM
exactly.

"you willing to get shot with it at 200 yards?

....no? Then it'll kill a deer just fine."

or, ask if they'd like to put $100 on an accuracy contest :)

Lloyd Smale
09-18-2015, 07:39 AM
should have told them that you might need a different gun but there guns sure need a different man on the trigger. I wouldn't go in the woods with a rifle shooting 5 inch 100 yards groups. I can get much better then that with about any open sighted lever gun.
This afternoon I went to the range to test 3 new loads and to see if I liked a set of custom grips a friend made for me

While getting ready to shoot the first load at 100 yards a group of rifle shooters showed up and set up with me

I shot some 5 shot groups and they blasted away

As we were walking down range to check/replace targets
I was told that the BFR in 45/70 with 400 gr cast bullets was no deer pistol or a load with enough power
I needed a real gun
Like the Ruger in 7 MM Rem Mag they were shooting

Well my groups were all about 3" ( as good as my eyes allow )
They had 5-7" groups and were still trying to tell me to get a real gun for deer hunting

Oh well rant over ....it just makes me made when they try and tell me BS like that

John

junkpile
09-18-2015, 08:43 AM
Sounds like it was just a Magnumitis crew. If it doesn't say "magnum" on it, it obviously won't work. I mean, obviously... Just look at the 30-30. It doesn't say magnum on it. It's junk. I know it's killed more deer than probably any other cartridge ever, but its not a "magnum". Therefore, worthless.

Come on, it has to say magnum. And it should be a semi-auto, so you can keep blasting away when you can't connect.

44man
09-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Boolit hardness in the BFR is important. The gun shoots fast and my hard boolits just poked holes in deer. I will be making a soft nose next. But beware, Shot a deer with Babore's 50-50 HP, 420 gr and ruined half the deer. That revolver can do more damage then a rifle. You can make it hit harder then the BP loads used to kill off the Bison herds.
I use the Ultra Dot on mine and have shot 3/16" groups at 50 and 1/2" at 100, have to take my old eyes out of opens. I have kept all shots on a steel ram at 500 meters once my spotter walked me in, drop is huge of course and I had to aim at a tree branch about 26' over steel. That is 547 yards by the way. There is no way to adjust sights for that far. I just aim higher.
Back when I could see, I was shooting my little 10" Wichita 7R at 100 next to a guy with a .300 mag Browning. We walked down and he came to see my target, I had 5 in 1/2" and he had about 5 or 6" He packed it up and went home! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2: I had opens from Creedmore and he had a huge scope from bags.
The most fun ever is out shooting a rifle shooter. I think I have twisted more minds then anyone!

monge
09-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Diameter,boolits weight,velocity are what make this cal out standing if you know your drop it will kill at 200yards

Ramjet-SS
09-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Idiots I would tell them to f themselves then kept on shooting. Maybe I was too easy on them, they really are morons and less than educated as far firearms and hunting go. F them.

monge
09-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Had someone say my guide gun was nothing more than a sluggun at our 200yards range,Would not look my way anymore when I was hitting 6" steel plate at 200yards off hand.

Ramjet-SS
09-20-2015, 04:33 PM
I absolutely detest these self appointed experts that in reality are ignorant as all get out.

Who cares what some less uses as long as they are safe?