PDA

View Full Version : Seating Depth for Lee 200 Gr .45 TL

tcurtis
04-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I've been casting my own .45 bullets for about a year or so now using the Lee 200 grain SWC tumble lube bullet. I have been loading them with the bullets seated so the case just covers the last lube groove. My standard load is 4.9 grains of Bullseye. I seated the bullets in this manner because I didn't want any of the lube grooves exposed, nor did I want to risk the possibility of malfunctions due to the casing being crimped into a lube groove. I alternate between Rooster Jacket and LLA, though I prefer the Rooster due to ease of handling. I have yet to experience any leading. Bullets are cast from straight wheelweights.

The above loads shoot extremely accurately in my S&W M&P .45 and my S&W 945. I have not had any malfunctions and there are no signs of excessive pressures.

With most everything I load I try to load the bullet as long as possible to ensure OAL related pressure is kept to a minimum. When I started working with this bullet I just assumed that it should be seated with the top groove covered. The catridge OAL is around 1.190 give or take a couple thousandths up or down.

My question is to what depth do those of you with more experience with this particular design seat the bullet? Specifically do you cover the last groove or leave any of the grooves exposed?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've been lurking here since shortly after I started casting and have gained quite a bit of insight into the hobby.

Tom C

DLCTEX
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I use the top groove for a crimp groove. DALE

Dale53
04-04-2008, 12:38 AM
In my experience, you adjust the overall length of the cartridge with the dismounted barrel of the 1911 platform (as that is what I use). The proper length is when the base of the loaded cartridge is flush with the barrel hood. Understand, that is when you use the 1911 platform.

I have no experience with other platforms except the .45 ACP revolvers of various types. With other autos, I suggest that if you are getting great accuracy and good feeding that you do not mess with it ( "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." ).

As a general rule of thumb, the minimum length is when the first band (nose end) is flush with the case mouth. The maximum length is when the cartridge borders on being too long for the magazine. Most of my autos work well with the first band extending from the case mouth perhaps 1/64th-1/32nd of an inch (in my case flush with the barrel hood when dropped in the chamber of the hand held barrel removed from the pistol of a 1911).

The better reloading manuals give you a stated overall length. That is just fine when you are loading the exact same bullet. Unfortunately, that does not always apply.

Dale53

UweJ
04-04-2008, 01:08 AM
I do have the same lee 200 gr SWC TL boolit and for me it works best if the boolit is seated flush with th case,and a light taper crimp. I load 4,6 bullseye for my Springfield Trophy Match 45 ACP.
But the above said from Dale53 is the right way to finding the right depth.Best if you take the barrel out and drop a round in.
UweJ

tcurtis
04-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks very much for the info!