PDA

View Full Version : 358429 questions

jballs918
09-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Ok not really sure where to put this just it is several questions. Let me give a bit of background. I have a ruger sp101 in 357. I have castes for it and I am now looking to go to a rifle. It looks like after much consideration I will be going with a Henry big boy in 357. I was looking in my Lyman 48 and found that there is three different sets of loading for the gun. I want to run a 38 casings with a 358429 170 grain cast. I was going to use Felix lube and for running the bullets in the revolve was not an issue, but I looked up the fps for the rifle and it was getting up there like 1700. So I guess the question is will only running 38 casing make that big of a difference in the rifle. I want to be able to run the same load for both the revolver and the rifle. Please any thoughts on this would be great

Nose Dive
09-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Well.... I suggest, you try several combinations and 'see' (via range trails) which works best in each firearm.

Pistol load combos and rifle load combos, 'generally' are different...or one may work well in the pistol, but not in the rifle.

I too have a 44 mag pistol and 44 mag rifle.... I cannot...cannot find one combination that works well in both. Trust me, I have tried,,,tried...tried.

Guns are funny. One likes big heavy boolits...one does not. And rifles and pistols are, as you are aware,,,,are different firearms.

I can only suggest you keep 'clear, complete records' of what your load up and how they shoot. It is a real bummer to get your loads mixed up and not know what just worked like a dream in your gun, and you DON"T KNOW what load it was! (Ask me how I know)

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

fecmech
09-18-2015, 10:36 AM
I have had good results with 358429 in both rifles and handguns. I load in .357 mag cases because I have some .38 spl revolvers and don't want to cause a problem with mag load in a special. That said my oal in mag cases is not a whole lot longer than you crimping in the groove in special cases. I load mainly max 296 or 13.5/2400 loads behind 358429. Velocities run approx 1250 fps in a 6" GP 100 and 1650 in the rifles. Accuracy in the GP is in the 2" range at 50 yds for the GP and rifles @100yds in the 3-4" range for group sizes. I think 296/H110 has a slight accuracy edge over 2400 but both work well for me. Leading is not an issue for me and I think your felix lube would work just fine for you. Good luck, you never know what works if you don't try.