PDA

View Full Version : 41-240 Weatherby

oldblinddog
09-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Anyone ever tried it? I am assuming it is a .416. The example I saw appears to be a straight case, headspacing on the belt. Case is 2.170" or thereabouts. Seems like a pretty viable alternative to a .400 Whelen.

http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/41240weatherby.html

Mk42gunner
09-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Viable until you try to find the .240 Weatherby parent brass. I think as long as you get properly cut loading dies to go with your properly dimensioned chamber reamer, you would be better off with the .400 Whelen.

Robert

oldblinddog
09-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Midway has Norma .240 Weatherby brass in stock and the price is about like any other. I think this is a .411 not .416 as I first assumed. Also, this one looks like it will function through a standard short action.

One could also use the Weatherby brass on the 400 Whelen and prevent any headspace problems. A 400 belted Whelen. I think that has been proposed in the past.

mart
09-17-2015, 01:01 AM
As an owner of a 400 Whelen I can assure the 400 Whelen suffers no headspace issues. With 1500+ rounds so far through mine and no failures to fire I'm convinced that Michael Petrov was right in his articles debunking the 400 Whelen headspace myths. Michael was a friend of mine and did some great research into the issue. He inspired me to build one for myself. It has been my favorite rifle for several years no. It sure hammers caribou.

Anyone considering a 40 caliber wildcat should do a google search for Michael Petrov or the 400 Whelen. That will turn up his articles and they are the definitive work on the grand old wildcat.

Good Cheer
09-17-2015, 03:37 AM
Big thumbs up on using a belted case for cast.
Been threatening for years to do that with this set of Mauser "A" base loading dies.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/chamber%20casting_zpsx6wqnnnq.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/chamber%20casting_zpsx6wqnnnq.jpg.html)

Hardcast416taylor
09-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Tried shooting a .416 Taylor once. Got a Taylor made up on a Model 70 action. Never looked back!Robert

oldblinddog
09-17-2015, 08:56 PM
As an owner of a 400 Whelen I can assure the 400 Whelen suffers no headspace issues. With 1500+ rounds so far through mine and no failures to fire I'm convinced that Michael Petrov was right in his articles debunking the 400 Whelen headspace myths. Michael was a friend of mine and did some great research into the issue. He inspired me to build one for myself. It has been my favorite rifle for several years no. It sure hammers caribou.

Anyone considering a 40 caliber wildcat should do a google search for Michael Petrov or the 400 Whelen. That will turn up his articles and they are the definitive work on the grand old wildcat.

I looked him up. It all makes perfect sense to me, so much so that I have a rifle in .30-06 that I was going to send to JES Reboring but he declined the job saying that it was all so much speculation and wouldn't work. The rifle gets to remain a .30 for now.

Who chambered your rifle? And what barrel do you have?

mart
09-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Mine has a Shilen barrel. I ordered it pre-threaded for my left handed model 70. I had a local smith chamber it. He doesn't take in work. Just works on his stuff and guns of his friends. I do custom furniture and cabinetry and traded out some work with him for the barreling. He owns and uses the standard 400 Whelen reamer with the .458 shoulder. I'm surprised JES turned down doing a 400. He has it listed in his options. He did a 375 Whelen for me a few years ago. It turned out very well.