PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problems with Tokarev

WRideout
09-16-2015, 10:19 PM
I got a Romanian Tok in 7.62x 25 a while ago, which I really enjoy. It does have a recurring feeding problem. I have used cut-down .223 cases, which will work, but regularly wouldn't chamber. I attributed it to necks being too thick. Since then my loving children have given me a batch of new Starline brass, which works better, but frequently does not feed all the way, without an assist on the back of the slide. does anyone else have this problem? I am wondering if this is why many writers extol the Wolf spring replacements.

Since this is a bottle neck case, a regular roll crimp works, but I have found that too much crimp will cause hard chambering also.

Wayne

Outpost75
09-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Starline 7.62x25 brass is readily available. If you value your time as more than coolie wages why would you fool with reforming and neck reaming 5.56mm, you are on a fool's errand!

Cast Accurate 31-087T, water quench COWW, size.309-311", load 5.5 grs. of Bullseye, cycles like a pony trotting, 1420 fps and more accurate than PPU ball. This is not rocket science!

Tackleberry41
09-17-2015, 05:11 PM
A new recoil spring is the first thing I would do, I bought a new Wolff spring for my Tokarev before I ever shot it. Wish they made heavier springs for it. A 24lbs spring in my 7.62x25 1911 does wonders, well you can find the brass anyways.

I have not found formed 223 to work so well. Found only certain brands would extract properly, and some wouldn't chamber properly, variations in dimensions. And was a whole lot of work for one time use brass.

jrayborn
09-17-2015, 10:03 PM
I have had very good luck with 5.56 brass. I trim .015 under minimum and do not ream. I use one of Clark's Power Pistol loads under a .30 carbine 110 grain fmj. Shoots very very well.

NuJudge
09-19-2015, 06:22 PM
I had feeding problems with a Polish Tokarev because of weak magazine springs. I replaced those and the problems went away.

WRideout
09-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replys; sorry it's been a while, but my wife and I just bought a house, and are moving. Lots of excitement around here!

Wayne

WRideout
09-19-2015, 08:35 PM
The other thing that bothers me about this pistol is the add-on safety, which never seems to stay put. What have any of you done about that safety? I still like the gun a lot; it is just rather finicky.

Wayne

9.3X62AL
09-19-2015, 09:59 PM
My ChiCom Type 54 Tokarev pistol got its safety un-installed about 4 months after the pistol landed here, which was a long time ago. Not only was it casual about staying applied or off, it also chewed the daylights out of my thumb/forefinger web. It is a toy gun for me, isn't carried for serious use and when carried afield it is in Condition 4 (chamber empty/mag loaded). I give the slide a "William Tell" move and let drive at whatever offered itself for a target--re-clear the chamber--and holster it up. This is in keeping with Russian doctrine for safe carry of this model.