PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a source of lead near Salt Lake City, Utah

Shorty
09-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Hi,
I think that I've called every tire store within 50 miles and gotten the same response. Either, "We already have a guy that picks up our lead" or "No we don't sell it". Anyway, does anybody know of a source for lead alloy near Salt Lake City, Utah. I've about given up on wheel weights and am thinking of trying to find a source of hard ball or Lyman #2.
Thanks,
Shorty

imashooter2
09-16-2015, 08:50 PM
You'd have better luck asking a Cast Boolits member for his dog than his lead source...

Do you have postal service? There's lead for sale in the Swapping and Selling section on a regular basis.

gunauthor
09-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Check with RotoMetals, they are a sponsor of this website and have a banner advertisement at the top of this page.......

LAGS
09-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Being in construction ,I get a lot of Lead from the Plumbers, Electricians and Roofers.
Especially the roofers who do Tear off's and re roofing.
The lead Jacks and flashings always gets replaced and the for the most part just throw the old flashings away.
Some salvage it to sell to the scrap yards, but perhaps you can intervein and make a deal with them.
The small Fly By Night Roofers are more than willing to make a buck on the spot rather than haul the scrap to their yard or salvage yard.
Also, put your name in with a few Demo contractors, and let them know you are in the market for scrap lead.
Salvage is the name of the game in that business.
You just have to look around and make a few connections.

John Boy
09-16-2015, 11:04 PM
http://www.yellowpages.com/salt-lake-city-ut/scrap-dealers

bangerjim
09-16-2015, 11:19 PM
If I were you and did not already have a ton of lead in storage or current sources for it, I would check out the fine listing on S&S on here and Rotometals, a sponsor.

Depending on locations, many scrap yards will not sell to the public.

Good luck.

durango
09-17-2015, 01:09 AM
Shorty--I'm sending you a PM, Steve (Durango)

Shorty
09-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone for replying and for the suggestions. Any idea if there is such a thing as a commercial smelter that makes lead alloys?

imashooter2
09-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Bunches of them. Rotometals at the top of the screen is one.

Hardcast416taylor
09-17-2015, 11:43 AM
A shame you don`t live in Michigan, I might help you out.Robert

bangerjim
09-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks everyone for replying and for the suggestions. Any idea if there is such a thing as a commercial smelter that makes lead alloys?

Support our sponsors! Rotometals at the top of the page.

Shorty
09-17-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm getting the idea that Rotometals is an option.:-D

RogerDat
09-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Several folks in the forum swapping and selling will have WW's and reclaimed berm lead already melted into ingots. Simple breakdown is you pay about twice as much from foundry such as RotoMetals as compared to member to member sale from the forum BUT you get an exact known alloy from the foundry that will be very consistent. The COWW's from this month may vary a touch from last month, or linotype and pewter will vary a bit from a private party. The member stuff tends to be a better deal by far but if you really need a very precise alloy go with a foundry source.

Just post in the want to buy thread that you want to buy some COWW ingots http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Want-To-Buy-! (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Want-To-Buy) won't be a day before you will have plenty of offers. Need a little tin or plain soft to go with it then just add that to your WTB (Wanted To Buy) post. Want some hard printer lead such as linotype? Same place. Generally expect to pay about 1/2 of what RotoMetals charges give or take a bit. $1 a lb. for WW's already in nice clean ingots is not a bad price compared to getting your own when you consider driving around to collect them, propane to melt them down. Another couple of lead types offered for sale are iso cores or berm lead.

The lead alloys and pewter might vary a bit, but generally will be what it is called but scrap pewter, sheet lead, range scrap, and wheel weights are not going to be 100% consistent. Don't matter if you accumulate them yourself or buy them some minor differences in exact alloy percentages but nothing that matters unless you are pushing the limits or have precise requirements. In that case you need pure ingredients.

Shorty
09-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Hi,
I looked at RotoMetals to check out their prices. I didn't really word my reply about a commercial smelter very well. What I was after is if any one knew of a smelter near Salt Lake City. Being cheap, I'm trying to save the shipping. I'm new to the casting game and am trying to figure out my options for lead. Thank you very much for the information on alloys and the suggestion about the WTB.
Thanks again,
Shorty

Nose Dive
09-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Hospitals, dentists offices, Nuclear plants, old sewer lines that are being replaced. I have all in South Texas.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.