PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce muzzle/bushing gap?

RG1911
09-16-2015, 01:10 PM
I have a Yugo Tokarev TT-33 pistol (M57) that I've been tweaking. My latest tweak requires reducing the gap between the muzzle and the bushing. An initial estimate/experiment shows that the addition of approximately twice the thickness of a piece of aluminum foil completely around the muzzle is just about right. (If I'm reading my micrometer correctly, that's about .0024".)

I've already stippled the muzzle, and that was not near enough.

One thought then is to get a length of steel/stainless tubing of slightly smaller than the correct internal diameter, heat it and cool the barrel, and shrink on the tubing. Then turn the tube portion to the necessary diameter.

I'm not sure of the advisability of sweat-soldering the tubing to provide more grip. Perhaps red Loctite.

Another thought is to sleeve the bushing after reaming out the current step at the muzzle end so as to provide a bit more thickness to the sleeve. If this failed miserably, I could at least replace the bushing.

I completely understand that this operation will not turn the Tok into a bulls-eye pistol and that it seems like an odd waste of money. Nonetheless, I haven't given my 'smith an odd project for a few weeks and I don't want him suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you,
Richard

Mytmousemalibu
09-16-2015, 05:38 PM
I think its a neat idea! I love com-bloc weaponry and the TT-33 class of guns. I have thought about the same thing you are, hot rodding one to make a faux "open" gun just for fun. I'm not a gunsmith so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. What i was thinking is to open up the barrel bushing and machine a barrel sleeve with a good interference fit and like you said use the thermal fitting method. Heat the sleeve and i'd probably chill the barrel in a dry ice chilled alcohol bath. The sleeve needs to be a match in the concern of wear. I don't think a good shrink fit is going to move. Maybe even turn off a very thin cut off the barrel to make sure it is true and it can give you a shoulder stop for the sleeve. Put some Loctite 2701 on it if you are still concerned. What would be really cool is integration of a spherical barrel bushing like a Briley if there's room!

Greg S
09-16-2015, 08:32 PM
How about turning the barrel down slightly, sleeving it and tapering it to the proper diameter set on with green loctite similar to a 1911 barrel.

RG1911
09-17-2015, 12:01 PM
How about turning the barrel down slightly, sleeving it and tapering it to the proper diameter set on with green loctite similar to a 1911 barrel.
Good idea. I'll discuss it with my 'smith Saturday.

Richard

RG1911
09-17-2015, 12:09 PM
I think its a neat idea! I love com-bloc weaponry and the TT-33 class of guns. I have thought about the same thing you are, hot rodding one to make a faux "open" gun just for fun.
Yet another good suggestion to discuss with my 'smith when I see him Saturday.

The TT-33/M57 has turned into a long-running project. I'll have to post a description and photos of what I've done, such as sleeving the barrel to true .308, and getting the trigger pull down to a more reasonable 5 pounds.

I'm still debating whether I want to add adjustable sights. The rear is drift-adjustable for windage, but off-hand, it hits about 6 inches above point-of-aim at 25 yards. Agreed, not horrible, but something that could be corrected.

It's so thin that I'd like to get it to the point of being a good carry pistol.

Cheers,
Richard

Mytmousemalibu
09-17-2015, 03:26 PM
They have certainly gone up in cost. I have a pretty nie M57 i bought from a friend. I will be leaving it alone but if i come across an other nother for the right price, i may get one to hot rod. I like the ole rueski 1911. I'd also like to clean it up real good finish wise and have it blued like an old Python.