PDA

View Full Version : best lube method for new lower?

nekshot
09-16-2015, 07:39 AM
When assembling the goodies for the first time, is there a specific lube that is best for the bolt since that seems to get alot of carbon. I also want to get a base coat on every thing else inside and was not sure if any of the new synthetics are better than Rem oil, Hoppes oil?

nekshot
09-16-2015, 01:25 PM
I cleaned all the parts and coated them with win clp and after assembly dropped lucas red gun oil on pin areas. Think I'll stay with this method until I get some of that Mobil synthetic oil. Thats here at the local parts store, but do wish I had some of that special auto weapon oil I read about. I solved my problem!

lefty o
09-16-2015, 02:24 PM
best lube, something wet and slippery!

seaboltm
09-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Mobile One 5w-15.

mac1911
09-23-2015, 08:32 PM
Been running clp for 8 years now...no issues with my lowers.

Reverend Recoil
09-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Mobile-One 5W-15 synthetic motor oil and Mobile-One high temperature synthetic wheel bearing grease.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Whatever lube/oil you have on hand. Use lots, be very generous. If it splashes out the ejection port during firing, that's fine. Unless you're in a desert environment and in Missouri, you're definitely not in the desert, you're best to have it loaded with lube when new. Something like CLP would be best, because lots of that will help the gun break in (bolt wear to receiver) and keep the carbon floated so it's much easier to clean when you're done shooting.

I run all my AR's I've built over the years like this with great success. Really cuts down on jams. AR's do not like to be dry when fired.

Motor
09-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Another vote for clp. It's easy to apply and simply works.

I was at one of our local public ranges and during a cease-fire a fellow walked up to me and the guys next to me apparently because we were shooting ARs and asked for help.

His new AR-15 was not cycling. I asked to see it and noticed it was fresh out of the box. I explained to him how the finish is actually rough until it breaks in and that running it wet for a while should make it run well.

He gave me the OK to hose it down with clip. About five minutes later during range hot I looked over at him and he gave me the thumbs up with a big grin. :)

Motor

Love Life
09-30-2015, 04:35 PM
CLP will do the trick. We use it in mass quantities. Used to keep a gallon jug on the firing line when doing company SAW shoots.

MtGun44
10-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Synthetic car oil is good stuff. So is ATF.