PDA

View Full Version : Carte Blanc at the Gunshop?????? Love my family!

trails4u
09-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Well....as many of you know, I'm a firefighter...so I've spent most of the last 6 wks. in NC and MT working fires, which has put a bit of overtime in my pocket. So...I come home, and immediately start shopping for a new Tikka when low and behold, I find a T3 Stainless in 30-06 with a laminate stock. My dream! I'm just about to push the 'buy the hell out of this rifle' button...when all of the sudden, I have paper receipts raining down on my head, and my wife saying.....'just stop'.

????????? What??????? Stop??????? Are you kidding me???? I've slept in a tent in a cow pasture for the last 18 days for this.....and you want me to STOP??????

Well...unbeknownst to me, my family (wife, two teenage sons and 8yo daughter) has been 'depositing' money at my fav. local haunt for almost 6 months now, with the intent to surprise me for my birthday with a shopping trip. I LOVE MY LIFE.

It's not quite carte blanc....bit of an exaggeration there, but it's amazing to me nonetheless. A new rifle is no small affair in this house.....I'm humbled and amazed at my bride, and particularly my kids, who apparently contributed more than just a little bit.

Sorry if I'm rambling....but I HAD to share this. Can't smack the smile off me right now!!!

God Speed!

Trails.

smoked turkey
09-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Boy you are a rich man with a family like that!! Sounds like you have earned it and have a supportive family also. Enjoy your new toy(s).

gpidaho
09-15-2015, 11:47 PM
Great family, thanks for sharing that moment. Gp

Bzcraig
09-15-2015, 11:48 PM
You have a reason to ramble brother, that is awesome!

trails4u
09-15-2015, 11:48 PM
turkey...you are so right. the amount of money they've squirreled away is a couple months worth of groceries for us. I don't know how they did it.....but I'm nearly in tears typing this right now.

I've hunted with a 1968 vintage Rem 742 my whole life...great rifle, and one that I'm very sentimental about(it's my old Scoutmaster's rifle), but not exactly a tack driver. I've missed as many as I've killed in the last few seasons...which has started to take the fun out of the hunt, and made me start to question the shots I take. Having the opportunity to retire the old goat, and replace her with a sub-MOA bolt gun is like a fairy tale to me....never thought I'd see the day, and just when I thought I might do it for myself....they did it for me. Amazing.

Artful
09-16-2015, 12:18 AM
Awesome story, and family that made it happen for you. - Truly Blessed

smokeywolf
09-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Sounds like a pretty great family. Probably ought to keep 'em around a while longer.;-)

bubba.50
09-16-2015, 01:33 AM
awesome story from a man with an awesome family. always cherish them as much as they do you.

marvelshooter
09-16-2015, 06:04 AM
Sorry if I'm rambling....but I HAD to share this. Can't smack the smile off me right now!!!

Trails.
No apologies needed. I'd rather read this than some of the stuff that comes through this forum.

MrWolf
09-16-2015, 06:31 AM
Great story and great family. You are very lucky. Congrats!

clintsfolly
09-16-2015, 06:45 AM
I know the feeling. Just smile and hug them. You are blessed!

dale2242
09-16-2015, 08:21 AM
I have spent many days on a dozer fighting fire.
I really admire you guys on the ground.
Be careful out there, man.....dale

starmac
09-16-2015, 12:57 PM
There is even a silver lining to a fire. lol
Sounds like you have a great bunch, let us know what you end up choosing.

trails4u
09-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Starmac, my mind is made up.....has been for years. It will be the Tikka T3 in 30-06. I've always wanted the stainless version with laminate stock, which was unavailable in the US (as far as I can tell) for some time. http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-laminated-stainless It appears now, however to be available so I'll be asking them to try to hunt one down for me. If not....he has the T3 hunter in the shop....which I would gladly put in the stable as well. I can't find a bad word written about them from anyone who owns one, and for me, it's just a damn sexy rifle.

I'll be 42 in a few weeks....and this will be my FIRST brand-new rifle I've owned. I have bought a few new ones for my sons and wife...but never for myself. I'm punch drunk giddy just thinking about it!!!! :bigsmyl2:

pworley1
09-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Congratulations!! Post some pictures of the new member of the herd.

starmac
09-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Never even so much as handled a tikka, but they are popular here and from what I hear for good reason.
It will be nice to get what you really want. I hear they have started coming out with lefty versions, so my interest is gaining too, even though I don't need one. lol

trails4u
09-16-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm a lefty as well, star...but have shot right handed rifles my whole life. I've tried lefty guns....just doesn't feel right!

starmac
09-16-2015, 01:37 PM
I guess it all comes down to what you are used to. Because of my left eye dominance, I primarily shot levers for years, finally started picking up some left handed bolts a few years back. I still primarily shoot levers, go figure. lol

JonnyReb
09-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Good for you Brother, enjoy that new rifle! :mrgreen:

starmac
09-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Come to think of it, I have never bought myself a brand spanking new high powered rifle either.
I don't know why, I have bought new handguns, shotguns, 22 rifles and muzzies, but never a big game rifle.
Hmmm Maybe I should show this thread to that cantankerous old hide I live with, and mention tikka now has lefties. lol

oscarflytyer
09-16-2015, 08:49 PM
That is outstanding! And says a ton about your character and your job as a father and husband!

MaryB
09-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Awesome! Enjoy that rifle, I got to fire one at my gun dealers last year(not the stainless but a T3) and they are dead accurate.

TXGunNut
09-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Congrats, enjoy the new rifle. I hope it's everything you expect it to be.

trails4u
09-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Thank you all for the kind words....I somewhat feel like I'm gloating here, and maybe I am....and maybe I'm not sorry about that! :) But seriously...it was an amazing, humbling, gratifying, what the heck just happened kinda moment...and my immediate reaction was to share it here, because I knew no group of folks could appreciate it more than this one. Oscar...you mentioned character...I guess that speaks volumes about the character of this crowd as well.

Pics to follow....although I imagine it will be a few weeks before I have her in hand. And a full range report to follow as well...for Starmac. He might need the ammunition to convince the bride he needs a new Tikka as well!

God bless you all!!

Trails.

Bzcraig
09-17-2015, 01:29 AM
I get a big smile on my face every time I come here and read through this thread!

Rustyleee
09-17-2015, 04:08 AM
Thank you Trails for your hard efforts. I'm glad you have a family that cares so much for you.
Happy Trails and God Bless.

trails4u
09-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Had to work today....so called the gunshop ALL DAY LONG, and busy signal after busy signal. Aaaarrghhhhh!!!!!! Torture!! :) Seriously guys and gals....I can't remember being this excited since Santa Claus!

trails4u
09-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Just heard from my buddy Jim at the gun shop.... Rifle is ordered, and should be in my grubby little paws Wednesday or so!! :bigsmyl2:

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-laminated-stainless

trails4u
11-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Well...I promised a range report, so here it is. This thing is scary accurate...a better shooter than I'll ever be.. I'll start there.

I got the rifle a few weeks ago...added the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 from my now retired rifle, and grabbed a box of loads I'd worked up for my old 742 (may she rest in peace). 48.5g Varget under 150 Sierras at SAAMI length. Mild, middle of the road, nothin' fancy. Bore sighted it...set up a target at about 60yds, and very casually touched off two 'fouling' shots before I thought much about it. Well...they were in one ragged hole. Whaaaattt?????? At least, that's what I said!?!? Made the appropriate scope adjustments, and then shot a .400 group of three. Wow.

I stopped there...and just today had a chance to get the rifle on a 100yd. range. I knew it was close, so I just toted my target downrange, set up, and again.....using the load developed for the 742, started shooting. First shot was left and touch high....no worries, still need to dial in the scope at 100. Next three were a .642 group, but 2" low and left of the first. ?? Cold bore/clean bore...I don't know yet. I did clean it after the first few in the earlier session...but something I'll be watching and learning from. The cold/clean bore shot on this jewel might be an issue.

The real fun in this was the next 4 shot group....one where I walked the POI to precisely where I wanted it (1" high at 100), and watched the scope adjustments print, shot for shot. I had a gentleman I met while there watching my groups through a spotting scope, and he commented....that second group opened up a bit. I then explained to him that I was walking the shots to my preferred POI. It was still less than a 1.5" group...even with my shot for shot adjustments. I'm now a Tikka fan for life.....and I think my new buddy might be as well. I've never owned a rifle I could do this with....I'm amazed to say the least.

For full disclosure....I was using J-words. Please accept my apologies, but this gun and the love of my family for making it happen for me...Just too cool not to share.

I am blessed!

God Speed. Trails.

Artful
11-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Awesome Range Report - I'll be looking for a follow up about the first shot, cold bore suspected issue. I've heard nothing but good things about the Tikka's

Rustyleee
11-19-2015, 01:37 AM
In the past when I have looked at the Cast Bullet Assn's match results Tikkas seem to dominate the top places.

Houndog
11-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Here's a little tip that will help with the first shot wandering. After you clean your rifle and have a clean dry bore, run a patch with a few drops of Lock eeze through it and let it dry. ( this is the stuff you lube a padlock with) If you are going to store the weapon LIGHTLY oil it with something like 3 in one oil. BEFORE shooting the rifle, dry the bore and retreat it with the Lock eeze and let it dry. The small amount of Graphite in the lock eeze does wonders for that wandering first shot. I've been doing this first with Benchrest rifles and later with every rifle I own forever and it works! Tony Boyer, probably the best precision rifle shooter in the world taught me this little tidbit tears ago.

BNE
11-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Nice story. The Tikka looks great. Your family sounds great also.

trails4u
11-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the tip Houndog.... I hunted with the rifle this past weekend, and successfully took two does, one at about 80yds and the other at 170yds. Both hits were a bit low, but the first one was an awkward shot, and the second at 170, so I'm not too concerned at this point. I think the rifle is performing as advertised.

Unfortunately wasn't able to recover the second one until the following afternoon, after much looking and almost convincing myself that I had shot under her. The shot was late in the evening, with little light left. Shot felt good, I was confident in the hold, knew I hadn't pulled it, but the deer ran hard uphill, flagged, and out of sight. I looked until well after dark, couldn't find a spot of blood, or the deer, so suspended the search until the following day. Unfortunately, I found her somewhat easily the next day....she had fallen on the uphill side against a large oak, with her belly against it, and her head twisted under her, so no white exposed...I had to have walked within feet of her the evening before...but just didn't see her. It was pretty cold, but she was already swelling a bit, and the guts were quite pungent, so I decided against trying to salvage any meat. Terrible loss...but some relief in knowing that the rifle is doing its part.