PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat Question

Leon Garfield
09-15-2015, 08:23 PM
When spray coating bullets the bottom has no pc. Will this still lead up the barrel compared to ones that are tumbled and do have pc on the bottom? Thanks

gpidaho
09-15-2015, 08:29 PM
After the thousands of words printed here in the last couple of years, are you kidding us. There are the Stickies and hundreds of threads to read here at Boolits yet it seems like Ground Hogs day with the same questions ask over and over and over. Please read up. Gp

Leon Garfield
09-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Yeah well Idid read and search engine doesnt work for squat. Thanks I will look else where. Pretty simple question......

Beagle333
09-15-2015, 09:05 PM
The PC is there to reduce friction between the boolit and the barrel. It is only good on the parts that rub the barrel. It does no good on the nose nor the base. Just as you wouldn't lube the base if you were lubing a regular boolit, you don't need to PC the base. If you want to push your PC boolits much faster and hotter than you could push them with regular lube in the grooves, you still need a gas check. When you tumble boolits, you coat the base needlessly, but it still wastes less powder than spraying, it's a little faster, and also takes less equipment, hence its popularity.

Have fun!! :Fire:

bangerjim
09-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Said many hundreds of times on here:

PC does NOTHING on the base. Does grease offer any base protection????? Why then would one expect PC (merely a substitute for grease) to do anything else.

If you need a GC, use a GC. PC is NOT a substitute!

Fit is king. PC is not a crutch for ill-fitting boolits.

And people use BBDT because they are to darned cheap to buy an ESPC gun. I have 3 ESPC guns and probably 10 different BBDT tubs for colors. I use both methods interchangeably. But ESPC is the standard.

banger

Whizzer
09-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Neat trick for searching. Type this exactly, and use google's robust search feature:

site:castboolits.gunloads.com xxxx xxx xxx xxxx (try powdercoated bases after the space, not in italics of course.)

You have to have a space, but before the space, just run it all together. Works for nearly any site. Do this in the Google search window, not this site's built in search field. Try it on your username. Site:castboolits.gunloads.com Leon Garfield it will find all your posts.

Anyway, no. Coating the base doesn't seem to help eliminating leading in the bore. It sure doesn't hurt. But the guys that like spraying over tumbling all say pretty much the same thing. "Unnecessary."

Pumpkinheaver
09-15-2015, 10:14 PM
If you want your bases covered then tumble them. There are hundreds of pages of posts about PCing bullets.

RP
09-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Remember looking for something you laid down in the shop and unable to find it ? Well looking for a answer sometimes is about the same. How many people woke up on the wrong side of the bed ? Come on guys new guy ask a ? and gets those kinds of replies. Only dumb questions is the one that is not ask. If you look over the amount of times the same questions are asked all over the board and removed them I would not be scare to say nearly half of the post would be gone. Lets keep this in mind and lets help others and lift them up as we ourselves would like to be done the same.

xacex
09-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Thanks RP.

Leon Garfield
09-16-2015, 03:36 AM
Thank you for.the answer I needed....

Stilly
09-16-2015, 10:13 AM
I think that coating the base might help a bit with lead vapor on some gas operated firearms. I know that MR says to not use FMJ type ammo if it has an exposed lead base.

Personally though, I like to have the entire boolit sealed up because my fingers stay that much cleaner when I am loading and playing with them afterwards.