PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Summit press slop

dbo
09-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Moved my "operation" into my office from the garage and decided to put the giant hollywood press on sabatical. Picked up a Summit press and I really like the design it saves allot of space. Only thing is there is just a tad of rotational play between the ram and ram tube. Anyone else with a summit press experiencing this too?

Nueces
09-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Yes, mine has the same minimal play in the ram. I don't worry about it because this float allows the case to self center in the die, much as does the spring loaded shell holder in the Bonanza CoAx press - and no one gripes about the accuracy achieved with that little beauty. I think you re in good shape with the Summit.

Please, though, if you encounter problems associated with alignment, post back here and get the hive mind fired up. Just talking about this stuff advances the science.

Oh, and congratulations on moving indoors. It's the manly thing to do. :mrgreen:

dbo
09-20-2015, 01:58 AM
I played with it a little more and it looks like the alignment is good but the the spring tension on the shell holder has it tilting forward just a hair. If I apply opposite pressure with my finger the die goes right on down no problem as opposed to catching the rim. i'll take some video and post it. Not a big deal since I tend to go slow and guide the casings in anyways. Nothing a thin film of jb weld can't fix haha.

r1kk1
09-20-2015, 09:59 AM
I played with it a little more and it looks like the alignment is good but the the spring tension on the shell holder has it tilting forward just a hair. If I apply opposite pressure with my finger the die goes right on down no problem as opposed to catching the rim. i'll take some video and post it. Not a big deal since I tend to go slow and guide the casings in anyways. Nothing a thin film of jb weld can't fix haha.

I don't have to guide cases in mine. I've seen that same problem on a different press and replaced the shellholder 'snap ring' and then all is well again.

Good catch

take care

r1kk1

dbo
09-24-2015, 04:21 AM
Ill give that snap ring a try. Maybe its got some twist in it.

runfiverun
09-24-2015, 09:43 PM
I spin the cases and seat in steps anyway, but the snap ring could be pushing in all the wrong places.

I cut the end off the snap ring on my pacific/hornady 0-frame and let just the one end hold the shell holders in place.
you could try removing the ring and see how that works first.

country gent
09-24-2015, 10:35 PM
I have been pleased with my summit press. I may fiddle around a little with the shell holder retention spring. I ussually try to set them to a very light tension. With all the joints ( die mount around tube with adjustment screws. Guide tube in base to head, ram in base bushing in die mount and die threads) its amazing they all line up as good as they do.

Sam Casey
09-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Is the "improved" Summit the one with 2 screws on each side of base supporting column or the one with 3 screws? Mine just has the 2 screws. Called RCBS and was told the 2 screw is newest and best as early 3 screw models had tendency to crack base with use. Don't understand why all advertising pix show the 3 screw model?

Love Life
09-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Make sure the screws for the head are tight.

Sam Casey
09-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Anyone know for sure if Summit with 2 screws at base of collume is latest version or 3 as seen in most ads? Just got press from Midwest with 2 screws, but box, instructions and ads all picture 3?

StratsMan
09-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Bought mine a couple of months after they hit the retail stores... it has 2 mounting screws, and that's the only configuration I've seen... I wish it had one in the back, but the lack of a third mounting screw has not prevented its' use....

Sam Casey
09-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Strats - 2 base BOLT mounts on all as far as I know. I am talking about the screws that go into side of base vertically that apparently support the main column that press rides up & down on.

stubbicatt
10-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Hm. Mine has two cap screws on each side of the base, arranged one atop the other, that screw into the guide tube to hold it to the base. Those screws are forever coming loose. I like the design OK, and I'll probably keep the press, but I wouldn't buy another. When I received it not one single screw or nut was tight on that thing.

Sam Casey
10-06-2015, 05:24 PM
RCBS claims 2 screw base is improved model. Original design with 3 screws on each side compromised strength of base and it was cracking. I returned my Summit. They say they didn't think pictures of original 3 screw model on their website, on box, on instruction booklet and provided to dealers for their ads would be a problem. Too much uncertainty, too many negative comments and too heavy ... 24#++ for fairly high price.

r1kk1
10-10-2015, 11:21 AM
RCBS claims 2 screw base is improved model. Original design with 3 screws on each side compromised strength of base and it was cracking. I returned my Summit. They say they didn't think pictures of original 3 screw model on their website, on box, on instruction booklet and provided to dealers for their ads would be a problem. Too much uncertainty, too many negative comments and too heavy ... 24#++ for fairly high price.

I have RWB #24 and it's the two screw model. I do case forming and loading on the press at the range or in the RV. Midway and Amazon have given the Summit great reviews. Too Heavy? The Coax is the lightest bench mounted single stage I own. The Summit is next at 21.6 lbs. The Redding Ultramag and CH4D weigh in at 30 lbs. The Summit is the lowest priced single stage press I own. If you read the instructions, it tells you were to tighten up things when setting up sizing a case. The Summit is the most versatile single stage I own. I love the arbor press conversion to use my Wilson dies. Truly compact with a great warranty. Now off to case form some 50 Alaskan wildcats and 405 Winchester wildcats for my Encore pistol. The RCBS ram prime works very well in the press!

take care

r1kk1

Sam Casey
10-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Is the adjustment to linkage for sizing necessary for correct function or just to shorten stroke for shorter pistol cases? Never really understood that aspect of instructions.

minmax
10-27-2015, 09:58 AM
My summit press had alot of slop. One quick call to RCBS, a very friendly and knowledgeable tech had a few extra parts sent. She up and running. I will be getting the short handle for pistol reloading.

mdatlanta
11-01-2015, 05:37 PM
What parts did RCBS send? Were they missing, out of spec, or what?

My summit press had alot of slop. One quick call to RCBS, a very friendly and knowledgeable tech had a few extra parts sent. She up and running. I will be getting the short handle for pistol reloading.