PDA

View Full Version : stencil

Silverboolit
09-15-2015, 10:05 AM
I am in the process of re-barreling a Savage and need to make a stencil for the caliber to be etched into the barrel. I tried my wife's Cricut and the letters are just too big to look right. Any ideas out there?

bgmkithaca
09-15-2015, 10:14 AM
I use a metal stamping set for my barrels. An option would be to take the barrel to a trophy shop and let them engrave it for you-just be sure to lay out where you want it marked so it is in the right location when the barrel is put on the reciever.

Cap'n Morgan
09-15-2015, 03:19 PM
If you can find someone with an old typewriter you can use it for punching the stencil using waxed paper. You may have to "re-type" the stencil a couple of times to get complete perforation.

B R Shooter
09-16-2015, 06:38 AM
I use the chemical/electric etching for marking barrels. While stamps have been use for ever, they are never perfectly straight and/or deep. Taking it to a trophy place is an option, just make sure they can work with the round surface.

Using the etching, I tried wax paper with poor results. I used the paper they supply, and a manual typewriter. Type out what you want, mark the barrel where you want the marks in relation to the stock and alignment. TAPE the paper on the barrel so it does not move, very important. My etcher comes with an adapter for deep etching, I use it first for 30 seconds, then take it off and use as normal. Then take the tape off. It makes a very nice etching.

Silverboolit
09-16-2015, 09:56 AM
What is the manufacturer of your etching machine? I hope that I can find a manual typewriter to use. May have to go to the museum and borrow theirs.

oldred
09-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Typewriter??????

Wow, times sure have changed!

B R Shooter
09-17-2015, 06:36 AM
http://www.etching-metal.com/

This is the most economical I know of. It's not fancy, but does a decent job. For numbers and lettering, the typewriter method does fine. They can make logos, or lettering out of plastic for custom things. There are other makers of etching equipment that cost more money, and do very good, but this will get the job done.

Silverboolit
09-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all of the help. Think that I have it figured out.