PDA

View Full Version : California wildfires

Duckiller
09-14-2015, 10:00 PM
I know we have several members who live in Northern California. Are they doing OK? These fires are getting crazy and I am worried about our fellow members and casters. Please post any information that anyone has.

tg32-20
09-14-2015, 10:41 PM
I live about 30 miles SE of Sacramento. All day long I have seen the planes coming and going to drop water on the fire to our East (Butte fire). Unfortunately, the wind has been blowing from the East so we have a lot of the smoke and some ash. It is a lot cooler today and actually a few sprinkles, which will bring the humidity up a little but help.

Tom

TreeKiller
09-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Too far north to have much effect on me. There is a fire in Trinity Co. that has been burning for over 3 weeks and one by Crescent City has been going for at least that long. Both are less than 60% contained. They are also both quite a way away. So far all we get is smoke once in a while. There are others in the area also but get no coverage since a lot of the have very few houses there. Neighbor saw 2 cow elk that were about 70+ miles from normal range down around Clear lake.

Paul_R
09-14-2015, 11:13 PM
I was in Jackson over the weekend and the whole town looks like a refugee camp. Parking lots are full of people living in cars, ect. Very sad and overwhelming. We've had haze covering the Sacramento valley since the fire started.

9w1911
09-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Raining up here in the hills now, near Truckee.

44man
09-16-2015, 01:42 PM
I hope all here are OK. China is the worst, bringing a new coal fired electric plant on line every few days.
Obumbler wants this country to change but he ignores the rest of the world. We are cleaner then I ever seen. I remember when you could not breath in Cleveland. Air was red and ate paint from cars and houses. Lake was a cesspool with turds floating. Fish were poison. The Cuyahoga river pumped black sludge 5 miles to the city water pickup and caught fire once. You have not lived until you see a river burn.
Now the lake is so clean you can see 40' deep.
kalifornia sees results from the rest of the world. See how many Asians need a mask?
Don't tell me I need a green car when a motorcycle makes

twice the pollutants a car does and what is there?
They want you to have an electric car but you charge it from a coal fired plant. Wonderful liberal stupidity.
I hate having to buy anything approved in Kali.
It is not this country, it is coming across the ocean. Vote for Billery and she will fix it.

koehn,jim
09-16-2015, 01:57 PM
44man much of what you say is true, but there are almost no coal fired plants in Calif. we use natural gas and solar as well as hydro electric. the pollution from electric cars comes in the production and transporting them to here. We have to start cleaning up the planet somewhere and at least this state is trying to do something. I agree completely that we need to pressure the other countries to work on the same problem. Congress has the power to solve some of this mess and yet they do nothing. The fires are bad in Calif but worse in Idaho and Montana and Washington state.

starmac
09-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Cali import a lot of their electricity. I would be interested in seeing just how big a percentage solar has compared to usage, the same as with wind. I have watched the huge cali wind farms sit idle for years at a time. The story I got was something about birds.

Magana559
09-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Ca is a joke! We pass too many feel good laws to even keep up with them.

We import a bunch of power. From surrounding states (mostly coal fired) and we pretend to be Mr. Do right save the earth team.

Stop being brain washed on CA changing the world for good.

With that said, the rough fire is 60% contained and burned over 100,000 acres. The smoke was so dense at one point it loomed like light fog.

Magana559
09-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Also we killed the nuke plant down south and now people are complaining about the surge in power costs.
Sometimes I wonder if people are born with a brain anymore! Nuclear power is probably the cleanest and most efficient power source we had, not to mention the cheapest!

TreeKiller
09-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Hydro power is the cleanest and cheapest of any power. But you can't be green and build any dams. Solar and wind are not dependable. I have a d-inlaw that works for Cal ISO that controls the power grid, wind stops or a cloud comes over and there is a mad scramble to get power from a hydro in the north west or get a natural gas gen on line.

Bad Water Bill
09-17-2015, 04:46 AM
Over 30 years ago I vacationed for several years with a friend and I got my first view of those FANTASTIC wind farms.

My friend said the gov had been trying to make the farms "profitable" since 1970 and failed at every attempt.

If Argon Lab failed why are we still subsidizing every wind farm in the U S A?

No they are not truly green as they CHOP up ??? thousands of birds of all species every year.

From what I have read the solar farms fry at least the same amount of wildlife.

So much for the green stuff from the Kali libertards.

Mal Paso
09-17-2015, 09:09 AM
In Southwest Trinity County along HWY 36 fire management has merged the active fires and it's now called the South Complex. It is 89% contained and we will be living with it until the first good rain. 2 houses lost at the top of my road. Mad River Complex which took out both sides of Ruth Lake and the community of Trinity Pines is 100% contained but will be burning until "a season-ending rain/snow event".

In the wilderness South of me lots of smaller fires have turned much of the forest brown. Don't know how much will come back. Hope they allow salvage of fire killed trees so we don't have a bigger problem.

Politics? Where's the EPA? We've caught Mother Nature, the biggest polluter in the history of the world red handed and Nothing! I saw the Damn Lightning that started the whole thing. I'll testify! :wink:

starmac
09-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Good luck on the fire killed tree salvage, it seems people have lost their minds as far as this goes. We need creature trees. lol

44man
09-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Kaly is a funny place, depends on other state rivers and snow melt. Rain in Kaly means nothing. rain and snow is from other states. Suck water to irrigate.
Sea water can be made potable but where are those plants? They use energy.
Nuclear still needs water to work. Wind farms need wind. Solar needs sun. Just what do you do with clouds or winter? You have a roof full of solar panels 10" deep in snow. You get power from coal fired plants.
Libtards are so stupid I don't know how we have survived all these years.
I have a generator when power goes out, takes a lot of gas. Libtards say I need a solar panel and a battery. A battery is lead, acid. I need hundreds of them. Lead in Kaly is forbidden. Some bird will die. Drivers lose a million wheel weights that animals eat. Only libtards eat lead paint.

Mal Paso
09-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Kaly is a funny place, depends on other state rivers and snow melt. Rain in Kaly means nothing. rain and snow is from other states. Suck water to irrigate.
Sea water can be made potable but where are those plants? They use energy.
Nuclear still needs water to work. Wind farms need wind. Solar needs sun. Just what do you do with clouds or winter? You have a roof full of solar panels 10" deep in snow. You get power from coal fired plants.
Libtards are so stupid I don't know how we have survived all these years.
I have a generator when power goes out, takes a lot of gas. Libtards say I need a solar panel and a battery. A battery is lead, acid. I need hundreds of them. Lead in Kaly is forbidden. Some bird will die. Drivers lose a million wheel weights that animals eat. Only libtards eat lead paint.

In both Carmel and Trinity County All my water is local, from Coastal mountain ranges West of the Central Valley which is West of the Sierras. LA and South imports water, most of the state does not.

Solar is great! I have in my collection 9 original Arco 16-2000 panels still putting out 90% after 35 years. My power Never goes out and there's a Diesel Generator if my Lead Acid Batteries get low which isn't often. This is Off-Grid where there have Never been Tax Breaks.

California is a diverse place. There are a lot of gun toting, lead loving guys like me. Don't lump me in with the perverts and politicians who make headlines.

Still not back on the subject of California Fires.

TreeKiller
09-17-2015, 11:50 PM
California is a diverse place. There are a lot of gun toting, lead loving guys like me. Don't lump me in with the perverts and politicians who make headlines.

Can I join you? Dan

TreeKiller
09-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Local Red Bluff FFA took 5 ton of donated hay to Lake County plus other supplies total of 5 large trailers. today

T Herder
09-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Arrived home at 0400 this morning after spending the last week at Middletown Animal Hospital, Middletown,CA. Lake Co. Our Large Animal Evacuation team was deployed there to support and assist. They are doing as well as can be expected. The devastation is horrendous. Just received a text as I'm writing this that 15 Semi loads of donations arrived today. It tears you up when a man walks up to the check-in, tired and exhausted and says his family lost EVERYTHING! "Would you folks happen to have 4 toothbrushes?" We had not only the toothbrushes but sent him on his way with food, clothes, toothpaste, a complete toiletry bag for four.
Donations, help, food for all the animals, and I mean all, we so GREATLY THANK EVERYONE!!! We did have a moment of levity in the hectic mess. Calfire Engine Co. 3170 Riverside,CA rolls in and stops. The crew climb out and one of the is carrying a small metal bucket. They approach check-in and I asked them "What can we do for you Sirs?" They said we rescued these, they need fresh water and food. In the bucket were 3 tiny Koi fish. We processed them in and informed them fish food was the ONLY feed we did not have, but we'd get some. UC Davis shipped us fish food with the next med delivery. They stopped yesterday at the end of their shift to check on the burned kitten they delivered earlier in the week and the fish. Just some of our heroes.
Best regards,
Butch

opos
09-19-2015, 10:28 AM
I live way South near the border....we have been lucky this year and our hearts go out to the folks in Nor Cal that are battling this tragedy...we have had our share of destruction and injury not to mention property loss here in past years...We have been praying that the rains will come before we get any hot Santa Ana winds from the East...we've had fires start in the mountains and within hours be almost to the ocean as the 50-60 mph winds "leap frog" fire lines with flying embers and sparks....nothing like the devistation and helpless feeling watching one of those terrible fire storms...unfortunately some of them are arson fires...that should carry a death penalty.

A bit over a year ago..set by a 16 year old girl for "kicks"

Mal Paso
09-19-2015, 11:06 AM
We just had a tourist set a fire in Big Sur, Ca because he wanted "a little fire in his Photograph".

A couple years ago hikers started a fire. They read somewhere it was environmentally correct to burn their toilet paper.

opos
09-19-2015, 12:18 PM
We have constant problems with the illegals...they cut across the dry mountains from east of Tijuana and light cooking fires as they go...we've had several fires from their activities...but the sanctuary lives on...someone should set fire to the homes of those that are "in charge" to show them that a sanctuary is really a hell.